Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,283,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Yankee View Post
I lived in Houston for three years. It was hell on earth. The summers were unbearable. Unbearable really doesn't come close to describing the heat and humidity from June through September. The only months that were bearable were October and March. Winter in Houston is wierd. It can range from warm and sticky to damp and cold. I have never experienced such disgusting, never ending humidity anywhere, even Miami. People come there for jobs. There is no other meaningful reason to move to Houston. Chicago is cold, cold as hell at times, but we have seasons. Houston has two: Miserably hot and humid, and chilly and humid. Then there's the culture. Houston has museums, but not of the caliber and recognition of those in Chicago, Houston has good restaurants, but Chicago has recognized chefs and is recognized internationally for their cuisine. Chicago has festivals, Houston has an annual redneck drunken cow-wrestling rodeo. Houston traffic is 24/7 gridlock because they won't use public transit. Each man has to drive his own pick-up truck. Cars are a rarity. Trucks are the urban horse. Will Houston surpass Chicago in population? I doubt it. Houston's entire economy is based on the oil bidness. In 20 years or less, cars will rely more and more on alternative energy sources. Gasoline will become the dinosaur it once was. Without oil, Houston will join the ranks of so many other failed one industry cities.
Most of this is completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,224,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
But really they aren't that devastating. The media made it out to seem worse than what it really was. Seeing images of freeways underwater look dramatic but they are actually designed that way to keep the water away from the homes. The freeways dry out quickly enough and life gets back to normal as most people have car insurance. As for the homes that were flooded it did cause quite a bit of heartache but those people live close to the bayous and know that when they bought their homes. So of course they have insurance to cover it. People in Houston have gotten used to flooding just like people in Florida have gotten used to Hurricanes, Boston has gotten used to blizzards, San Francisco is used to earthquakes, Oklahoma City is used to tornadoes, and just about every major city is used to their natural disasters. This isn't a third world country. Our cities can bounce back pretty quickly from natural disasters.
Yeah but my point is that may just be a taste of what's to come if the scientists are correct about global warming. Flood waters recede but sea level rise will permanently erase homes, businesses and infrastructure. This will be more of a problem for Galveston than Houston but Houston will still be affected. See the previous link I posted from the Houston Press.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,834 times
Default I too say there is no city like Chicago.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Most of this is completely wrong.
It is still Irreverent if Houston surpasses Chicago in Population. Toronto already officially did. Chicago still has the ICONIC DOWNTOWN the most diversified economy with no more then 14% in one industry.
Houston will have to prove to the rest of the Country and World? It is worthy of a replacement in title.

I expected Dallas to be far more today.... why? Because in the 70s it was the poster-child of a New World city. It grew in size.... but stature in 4 decades since "Dallas" the original WORLD-WIDE TV SHOW... No. It failed to be that "New Emerald City" in the Texas Oz. Houston too needs to do better. It is not proving it deserves the title? Sorry

Just my opinion.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,816,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggsUSA View Post
As a Chicagoan (currently stuck in Dallas) who was in Houston a few days after the floods hit, I can vouch for this...other than a few closed turnarounds, the flooding was a non-issue. I'm new to Texas and don't know about the major weather history in the past, but based on the nationwide hype about those floods, no way does flooding ever affect Houston long-term.
Yes, you are right. I was in Houston for tropical storm Alison. I remember it quite well. It was interesting to watch it on tv and then take a step outside.

Back ground:
Alison was a tropical storm; not a hurricane. People keep going on about hurricanes but only one Hurricane gave Houston a bit of a rattling in the last 30 years and that was Ike. Anyway, Alison came over Houston and it sat there pouring rain. Then it drifted back over the gulf picked up some more juice and came back on shore and dropped even more.

It created a 500 year flood. The bayous flooded their banks and the homes that were in the 500 year flood plain.

Downtown and the medical center have tunnels connecting certain buildings. These got flooded too.

There were the usual unwarranted deaths. By that I mean, every time these things happen most of the deaths are caused by not thinking. Many people drove into low spots on the road and drowned. There was one that was told the underground parking lot was flooding so she decided to go move the car. She took the elevator down and as soon as the doors opened, the elevator filled with water and she drowned.

Now if I had not been watching the news and you had asked me what happened during Alison I would have honestly said "Well it rained a couple times"

To be honest the biggest problem during storms to most is being inconvenienced. Especially if you have to travel east. The roads fill up with water.

People were talking earlier about ignoring the water front, and some Houston supporters were trying to counter the claim about moving further inland and some other stuff.

Both sides were incorrect. Houston's downtown is the same distance from downtown that it has always been. It's location was chosen to be capital of Texas. There were many small towns surrounding Houston, which at the time was less than 140 acres. Houston was not built on the coat because there were already cities on the coast. Galveston had a thriving port before the Allen Brothers secured the land to build Houston.

So no, Houston did not turn it's back on the coast, nor did it move away from it because of hurricanes. In Fact, it did the opposite on both counts. Houston was founded 50 miles from the coast but gradually moved it's city limits closer to it until it got as far as the bay of galveston.

A major misconception I often hear is Houston overtook Galveston because of the hurricane. That is 95% wrong. The 1st Anglo settlements in Texas were between the Brazos river and San Jacinto River (basically where Houston sits). Two things grew Houston:

1. A good publicity campaign.
2. Liberal annexation laws

It's incorrect to say that Houston would never have passed galveston had it not been for the hurricane because the area around Houston was always more populated than the area around galveston (which is basically just water). What people are confusing is the growth of the port. The Port of Houston grew because of the port of Galvestons misfortune. But the city did not.

Houston was advertised as the place to be. It was advertised as the place where 17 railroads met the sea (a major exaggeration as Houston at that time was 50 miles from the gulf). The in Flux of people allowed Houston to annex everything around it in every direction. Even settlements older than it were annexed in. The original capital, Harrisburg was annexed into Houston city limits.

So if the hurricane had not happened, Houston would still have been attracting tons of people, would still have been annexing it's neighbors and still have passed Galveston in population. The Port however might not have been what it is today.

Keep in mind too that The Port of Houston was only dredged 14 years after the devastating hurricane. 13 years prior to that Oil was struck near Beaumont and oil Derricks began sprouting up. That makes one wonder, did Houston get bigger because of the port or did the Port grow because Houston was getting big.

I would go for the second line of thinking. Here's a timeline:

1816: Galveston is settled
1825: Port of Galveston created
1832: Allen Brothers scouted land to build a city
1836: Sam Houston defeated Santa Anna and Houston was founded
1836: Galveston served as one of the Capitols of the Republic
1837: Capital of the new Republic moved to Houston
1839: Capital moved to Waterloo/Austin
1850: Galveston population: 4177, Houston: 2396
1900: Galveston population: 37,789, Houston: 44,633
1900: Galveston devastated by Hurricane
1901: Oil struck at Spindle top
1914: Port of Houston is dredged and widened just in time for WWI.
1920: Galveston population: 44,255, Houston: 138,276
1923: Houston started vigorous annexation

As you can see, by the time of the Hurricane, Houston was already larger than Galveston, which stagnated from that point while Houston boomed.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
As my point on Houston neglecting its own shoreline. There really was no action taken to RESTORE LOST BEACHES OVER THE DECADES. Set aside more of the shore FOR PUBLIC USE? Sure there are very nice homes along the coast and areas the public can access.
Galveston/"Houston" IS working towards reviving its shorelines...

Yesterday, the Army Corps of Engineers started dumping 750,000 cubic yards of sand along 20 blocks of the seawall for over 9,000 linear feet of new beaches..

Galveston to begin building 20 blocks of new beach - Houston Chronicle

and on top of that..
Quote:
Earlier this year, the Park Board completed a half-mile beach restoration west of the end of the seawall in front of city-owned Dellanera RV Park. A $20 million project to place new sand on existing beaches in front of the seawall from 14th to 61st streets has been funded and is expected get underway in November, de Schaun said.

The goal is bring new sand to Galveston beaches every time the Corps of Engineers dredges, which is every 18 to 24 months, de Schaun said. "If we can do this every 18 to 24 months then we will have changed the shoreline," she said.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:14 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,283,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
It is still Irreverent if Houston surpasses Chicago in Population. Toronto already officially did. Chicago still has the ICONIC DOWNTOWN the most diversified economy with no more then 14% in one industry.
Houston will have to prove to the rest of the Country and World? It is worthy of a replacement in title.

I expected Dallas to be far more today.... why? Because in the 70s it was the poster-child of a New World city. It grew in size.... but stature in 4 decades since "Dallas" the original WORLD-WIDE TV SHOW... No. It failed to be that "New Emerald City" in the Texas Oz. Houston too needs to do better. It is not proving it deserves the title? Sorry

Just my opinion.
You're debating something completely different. Houston will grow and become more important over time. Will it pass Chicago? Probably not. But Chicago probably will not become any more important than it is now.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Galveston/"Houston" IS working towards reviving its shorelines...

Yesterday, the Army Corps of Engineers started dumping 750,000 cubic yards of sand along 20 blocks of the seawall for over 9,000 linear feet of new beaches..

Galveston to begin building 20 blocks of new beach - Houston Chronicle

and on top of that..
A couple people from my family went to Galveston a couple weeks ago and said the beaches and water in the western part of the island is different. Different meaning the water is not as brown or in bad shape as it is on the eastern side of the island.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:41 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,731,629 times
Yes eventually I think Houston will pass Chicago. As people continue fleeing the cold, harsh winters and high taxes of cities like Chicago sunbelt cities like Houston will benefit.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:43 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It will be interesting to see the extent to which Houston will be affected by climate change, especially if their devastating floods this year are any indication of what's to come. I predict Houston will briefly surpass Chicago city (not metro), maybe for a few decades at most, before Mother Nature takes her toll on the former city. Chicago is in a much better position to adapt to climate change than Houston, for a number of reasons.

Maps that Climate Change Naysayers Must See | Houston Press
most of the areas shown to the inundated with water in those maps are on the sparsely populated Bolivar Peninsula or west of the developed sections of Galveston, so not very many people would be impacted by that.

besides, if/when sea levels rise to such heights that they start negatively impacting the Houston area, we could always build that proposed Ike ****. there is way too much industry built along the Houston Ship Channel (worlds second largest petro-chemical complex, and almost $100 billion in industrial expansions planned/under construction between now and 2023, to give you an idea of how much money is invested in the Ship Channel) for them to let rising waters shut everything down. eventually a system like the dutch have might be needed, but Houston won't be underwater..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ike_****

Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
You're debating something completely different. Houston will grow and become more important over time. Will it pass Chicago? Probably not. But Chicago probably will not become any more important than it is now.
I addressed Chicago's DIVERSIFIED ECONOMY. with NO one Industry is Key to the City's overall Success. No more then 14% employed in one Industry.
The World
based on Overall Economic Clout, Financial Power, Global Competitiveness, and Equity and Quality of Life.
6 U.S. cities ranked in the top 25; 2 in the top 10.
TOP 25 GLOBAL CITIES 2015

#1..New York
#2..Tokyo
#3..London
#4..Hong Kong
#5..Paris
#6..Singapore
#7..Los Angeles
#8..Seoul
#9..Vienna
#10..Stockholm
..tie..Toronto
#12..Chicago
#13..Zürich
#14..Sydney
..tie..Helsinki
#16..Dublin
..tie..Osaka-Kobe
#18..Boston
..tie ..Oslo
..tie ..Beijing
..tie ..Shanghai
#22...Geneva
#24..Washington
#25..San Francisco
#26..Moscow

OVERALL CITY 2025 COMPETITIVENESS RANKINGS TABLE

Rank ... ........Change 2025.....City Score/100.......from 2012
#1..New York .......+1......................75.7............... ......+7.1.
#2..London ..........+4......................73.1............ .........+5.3.
#3..Singapore .......-2......................71.2.....................+0 .6.
#4..Hong Kong ......-1......................68.1.....................+0 .1.
#5..Tokyo .............+2.....................68.0.......... ............-0.1.
#6..Sydney ...........-2..................... 67.3.....................+4.5.
#7..Paris ...............-2......................67.0......................-0.9.
#8..Stockholm .......+5.....................65.7................ .....+5.7.
#9..Chicago ..........+3................... 65.6....................+4.6
#10..Toronto ........... - .................... 64.7.....................+2.6.
#11..Taipei ............+14................... 64.1.....................+6.5
.........Zürich .............-4................... 64.1........................-
#13..Amsterdam .......-2....................63.2....................+2.0
#14..Washington ......+3................... 63.8....................+4.0
#15..Copenhagen .....+6....................63.0................... .+4.9.
........Seoul ...............+7...................63.0.......... ..........+5.
#17..Los Angeles ......+7................... 62.7....................+5.0.
#18..San Francisco ...+1................... 62.5....................+4.0.
#19..Boston .............-3....................62.3.....................+2.7 .
#20..Frankfurt .........-11...................62.0.....................-0.3.
........Melbourne ........-6....................62.0.....................+2.2
#22..Dublin .............+5................... 61.4.....................+4.3.
#23..Dubai ..............+6................... 61.3.....................+5.2.
#24..Doha ..............+14.................. 61.1.....................+6.3.
#25..Brussels ...........+1.................. 61.0......................+3.6.
#26..Oslo ................+8................... 60.8.....................+5.4.
#27..Houston ..........+2..................60.7.....................+4.7.
#28..Vancouver ........-5................... 60.6......................+2.8.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City