Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,840,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo fan View Post
My thoughts exactly. Chicago clearly had the title of "second city" But I doubt anyone outside of the upper Midwest truly believes that anymore since LA passed it like it was standing still. Whose to say Chicago could not fall as far as 4 or even lower.
Philadelphia used to be #1 then 2 for about a century, then 3 for 50 years after that. Times change. Doesn't really make a big difference to the average Philadelphian. Although it was the 2nd city for so long no one thinks of it as the 2nd city anymore. Chicago being the 2nd city will also eventually fade from public thought.

In fact we have twice the number of major cities than we did when Chicago was number 2. We have too many fine cities that are important for various things to worried about lining them up in a perfect linear faahion.

Another thing to keep in mind, Detroit gave Chicago just as strong a challenge in the 1st half of the last century as Los Angeles did. Times change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,432,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo fan View Post
My thoughts exactly. Chicago clearly had the title of "second city" But I doubt anyone outside of the upper Midwest truly believes that anymore since LA passed it like it was standing still. Whose to say Chicago could not fall as far as 4 or even lower.
The Second City moniker has many layers of meaning that don't necessarily have anything to do with population. Chicago will probably retain that nickname to many people across the country despite whatever its population may be.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,291,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, Battery Park isn't landfill. It's part of the original island.

And Manhattan is one of the least susceptible parts of NYC to rising ocean levels. Manhattan has higher elevation than much of the rest of the region.
Nola101.... Again you are 100% wrong! This article explains how many times since the 1600s, Lower Manhattan was expanded by land fill. YES BATTERY PARK WAS CREATED ON LANDFILL.

Manhattan's original coastline revealed when Hurricane Sandy flooded land reclaimed over 400 years | Daily Mail Online < I quote from this sight... By 1976, lower Manhattan was expanded a additional 23.5 acres WITH THE CREATION OF BATTERY PARK CITY along the Hudson River With 1.2 million cubic yards of earth and rock excavated for the World Trade Center as its foundation.

As for Manhattan the LEAST susceptible to flooding. . http://www.weather.com/science/envir...eport-20140424 Storm surge could flood NYC every 4 years.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,382,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Nola101.... Again you are 100% wrong! This article explains how many times since the 1600s, Lower Manhattan was expanded by land fill. YES BATTERY PARK WAS CREATED ON LANDFILL.
Steeps, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Battery Park is the oldest settled part of Manhattan island. In fact the Dutch built a fort on the land during the settlement of New Amsterdam
Quote:
As for Manhattan the LEAST susceptible to flooding.
Yes, Manhattan is one of the least susceptible parts of NYC to flooding and global ocean rise. It had very little flooding during Sandy compared to Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

And Long Island and NJ are far worse. Manhattan only had two notable floods over the last century (which isn't surprising if you know Manhattan topography; most of the island is somewhat hilly).

And your linked article has nothing to do with anything on this thread.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,646,830 times
Quote:
Nola101.... Again you are 100% wrong! This article explains how many times since the 1600s, Lower Manhattan was expanded by land fill. [
Battery Park City was created by landfill, Battery Park was not.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,256,233 times
It will be interesting to see the extent to which Houston will be affected by climate change, especially if their devastating floods this year are any indication of what's to come. I predict Houston will briefly surpass Chicago city (not metro), maybe for a few decades at most, before Mother Nature takes her toll on the former city. Chicago is in a much better position to adapt to climate change than Houston, for a number of reasons.

Maps that Climate Change Naysayers Must See | Houston Press

Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,886,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It will be interesting to see the extent to which Houston will be affected by climate change, especially if their devastating floods this year are any indication of what's to come. I predict Houston will briefly surpass Chicago city (not metro), maybe for a few decades at most, before Mother Nature takes her toll on the former city. Chicago is in a much better position to adapt to climate change than Houston, for a number of reasons.

Maps that Climate Change Naysayers Must See | Houston Press
But really they aren't that devastating. The media made it out to seem worse than what it really was. Seeing images of freeways underwater look dramatic but they are actually designed that way to keep the water away from the homes. The freeways dry out quickly enough and life gets back to normal as most people have car insurance. As for the homes that were flooded it did cause quite a bit of heartache but those people live close to the bayous and know that when they bought their homes. So of course they have insurance to cover it. People in Houston have gotten used to flooding just like people in Florida have gotten used to Hurricanes, Boston has gotten used to blizzards, San Francisco is used to earthquakes, Oklahoma City is used to tornadoes, and just about every major city is used to their natural disasters. This isn't a third world country. Our cities can bounce back pretty quickly from natural disasters.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,291,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Battery Park City was created by landfill, Battery Park was not.
sorry for thinking Battery park city was Battery Park. But apparently There was a decent acreage added by landfill in Lower Manhattan the sight surly I found proves that. Apparently I am reading the sight wrong. I won't address another though after reading the fighting in a couple other threads. I'd be banned.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 889 times
Default No Place Like Chicago

I lived in Houston for three years. It was hell on earth. The summers were unbearable. Unbearable really doesn't come close to describing the heat and humidity from June through September. The only months that were bearable were October and March. Winter in Houston is wierd. It can range from warm and sticky to damp and cold. I have never experienced such disgusting, never ending humidity anywhere, even Miami. People come there for jobs. There is no other meaningful reason to move to Houston. Chicago is cold, cold as hell at times, but we have seasons. Houston has two: Miserably hot and humid, and chilly and humid. Then there's the culture. Houston has museums, but not of the caliber and recognition of those in Chicago, Houston has good restaurants, but Chicago has recognized chefs and is recognized internationally for their cuisine. Chicago has festivals, Houston has an annual redneck drunken cow-wrestling rodeo. Houston traffic is 24/7 gridlock because they won't use public transit. Each man has to drive his own pick-up truck. Cars are a rarity. Trucks are the urban horse. Will Houston surpass Chicago in population? I doubt it. Houston's entire economy is based on the oil bidness. In 20 years or less, cars will rely more and more on alternative energy sources. Gasoline will become the dinosaur it once was. Without oil, Houston will join the ranks of so many other failed one industry cities.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,551,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Yankee View Post
I lived in Houston for three years. It was hell on earth. The summers were unbearable. Unbearable really doesn't come close to describing the heat and humidity from June through September. The only months that were bearable were October and March. Winter in Houston is wierd. It can range from warm and sticky to damp and cold. I have never experienced such disgusting, never ending humidity anywhere, even Miami. People come there for jobs. There is no other meaningful reason to move to Houston. Chicago is cold, cold as hell at times, but we have seasons. Houston has two: Miserably hot and humid, and chilly and humid. Then there's the culture. Houston has museums, but not of the caliber and recognition of those in Chicago, Houston has good restaurants, but Chicago has recognized chefs and is recognized internationally for their cuisine. Chicago has festivals, Houston has an annual redneck drunken cow-wrestling rodeo. Houston traffic is 24/7 gridlock because they won't use public transit. Each man has to drive his own pick-up truck. Cars are a rarity. Trucks are the urban horse. Will Houston surpass Chicago in population? I doubt it. Houston's entire economy is based on the oil bidness. In 20 years or less, cars will rely more and more on alternative energy sources. Gasoline will become the dinosaur it once was. Without oil, Houston will join the ranks of so many other failed one industry cities.
Oil has sooo many more uses than just gasoline. Hydrocarbons are some of THE most infinitely versatile and useful chemicals we've ever discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City