Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 AM

32,194 posts, read 34,899,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I haven't been to Atlanta in a long time, but if someone lives there and has a family, are they stuck with the choice of either having to fork over for private school, or 500k+ for a home in a decent school district, whilst also removing themselves geographically from the attractions of the city? Because that's basically how it is in DC, and that might be a turn-off for people.
Yeah. The only good high school in the city is North Atlanta, which is in Buckhead.

This is the case for practically every major American city, though. There are a ton of educated people who want the best for their kids but only a handful of schools in the city that can give them that.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,611,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. The only good high school in the city is North Atlanta, which is in Buckhead.

This is the case for practically every major American city, though. There are a ton of educated people who want the best for their kids but only a handful of schools in the city that can give them that.
Houston has some pretty good high schools I hear.

Even still, I'm not just talking about good schools in the city proper; decent high schools in nearby, reasonably priced suburbs count. Even still in DC, you'd have to shell out at least 500k to live in one of those districts, unless you want to live waaaay out in the boonies.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM

32,194 posts, read 34,899,416 times
Quote:
Even still, I'm not just talking about good schools in the city proper; decent high schools in nearby, reasonably priced suburbs count. Even still in DC, you'd have to shell out at least 500k to live in one of those districts, unless you want to live waaaay out in the boonies.
You could live in North Fulton or North Dekalb. Those aren't the "boonies" by Atlanta standards. But they are still some of the pricier areas of the region.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM

13,773 posts, read 15,851,173 times
Quote:
Houston has some pretty good high schools I hear.

Did you know the DC region is the most affordable major metro area in America based on cost of living and income.

DC Most Affordable:
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/10...ays-81307.html

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,868,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Uh, yes it does. There are some exceptions like Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, and Georgetown. However, most of the city shuts down when the workers go home. DC is anything but 24 hours.
I won't argue DC is 24 hours, but when you add up all the late-night destinations (Adams Morgan, Dupont, Georgetown, U-St, H-St, Columbia Heights, even a part of Glover Park), you end up with a sizeable chunk of the city.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM

13,773 posts, read 15,851,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I won't argue DC is 24 hours, but when you add up all the late-night destinations (Adams Morgan, Dupont, Georgetown, U-St, H-St, Columbia Heights, even a part of Glover Park), you end up with a sizeable chunk of the city.
You are wasting your time with this poster, anybody who compares the energy and vibrancy of nightlife in DC to Atlanta can't be taken serious. DC has so much more energy and people it's not even up for debate. Most of Atlanta's clubs are in strip malls these days.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,439,273 times
^ everyone's going out and meeting two or
three women a night in all that dc nightlife?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM

16,517 posts, read 26,430,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What terms?What do you mean?Please elaborate.
The idea that certain cities are better for certain races.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,868,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You are wasting your time with this poster, anybody who compares the energy and vibrancy of nightlife in DC to Atlanta can't be taken serious. DC has so much more energy and people it's not even up for debate. Most of Atlanta's clubs are in strip malls these days.
I'm not as down on strip malls as I used to be. They contain many gems. It's not fair to dismiss something because it's in a strip mall. However, there are aspects of a dense urban fabric that strip malls cannot replicate.

I'm also not going to comment on Atlanta's nightlife, because I was there on a family vocation, so I don't know.

What are the areas of Atlanta that have good nightlife?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,840,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ yeah african americans that mess with georgia lol.

all blacks aren't down with all that tho.
What???What does that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City