Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Did you know the DC region is the most affordable major metro area in America based on cost of living and income.

DC Most Affordable:
D.C. metro area most affordable, study says | WJLA.com
By adding this second qualifier, all this info means is that there are a bunch of affluent people in the DC area who can afford the high cost of living, not that it's an affordable place to live. I've lived in this area for the past 18 years, the regular family got priced out of DC in recent years.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I never said they were.Those are not the only schools in the city.A "good school" is relative tyo who is graduating.By your measure there are no goodblack colleges either.But what does all this have to do with the main question of the post?
Someone asked whether the city had good public schools or if you'd have to send your kids to private school.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,411,618 times
^2 son be on some other stuff, right?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As President Obama would say...

"That's simply not true, Candy."
Could you please point me to the area in the ATL with as many people walking around and with the energy of DC? Atlanta doesn't have that over a wide area across the city. Atlanta isn't built for that. It's not dense enough.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Could you please point me to the area in the ATL with as many people walking around and with the energy of DC? Atlanta doesn't have that over a wide area across the city. Atlanta isn't built for that. It's not dense enough.
I don't think you have to have a lot of people walking around for a place to have energy. I think Atlanta has a looser vibe than DC, which makes it a more fun city in many ways.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
By adding this second qualifier, all this info means is that there are a bunch of affluent people in the DC area who can afford the high cost of living, not that it's an affordable place to live. I've lived in this area for the past 18 years, the regular family got priced out of DC in recent years.
Sorry, that family would probably be low income compared to our median income here. If you are not making over $125,000 as a family in DC you are not middle class.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I don't think you have to have a lot of people walking around for a place to have energy. I think Atlanta has a looser vibe than DC, which makes it a more fun city in many ways.
I do feel you need a lot of people out and about. Hustle and Bustle and crowded side walks. That's when the city is jumping. Anything else is dead IMO.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
DC tends to attract a certain type of personality. Not too many people move to DC because they want the Good Life. It's all about the allure of power, motorcades and security clearances (or at least being close to people who have those things).
Right about now, it's one of the places doing better than most in the current economic climate. I love the city and was thinking about moving there at one point, but the COL has gotten too high. I don't think it's justified.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times
Quote:
Atlanta and DC are similar in some ways but are way more different when considering lifestyle everyday. Many people I know from Atlanta come to DC and say its crowded, it's too busy, there's no parking, there are too many people living so close to each other, it's too expensive etc. etc. etc.

The major difference between these two cities is lifestyle. You can't find the lifestyle DC offers in Atlanta. This really can't be overstated. Now the suburbs in DC are very similar to Midtown and downtown Atlanta. For people who prefer a less intense living environment, DC's suburbs are just like Atlanta's urban area's. Now to find area's without sidewalks in the suburbs like Atlanta suburbs, you have to travel pretty far from DC.

DT and MT Atlanta aren't like a dang DC suburbs. Atlanta core in 36 sq mi was built to have over 331,314 people it once did. Atlanta core isn't as dense as DC's core but DC suburbs aren't remotely close to how Atlanta core is built either. Atlanta edge city suburbs of Sandy Springs, Vinings, and may be Buckhead are like DC edge city suburbs. Atlanta historic suburbs with sizable Downtown like Decatur is like DC historic suburbs with Downtowns.

Also vibrancy and walkablity are two different things. Atlanta doesn't have the vibrancy of DC but you can live a walkable urban life style.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,710 times
Quote:
Sorry, that family would probably be low income compared to our median income here. If you are not making over $125,000 as a family in DC you are not middle class.
Exactly. And statistically, very few black black families make that much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City