Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM

399 posts, read 884,275 times

Advertisements

Have you?

Per Wikipedia...

Quote:
...term "Upstate" sometimes used to refer to the whole of the state besides New York City and Long Island, and by others to refer only to the portion of the state north of Poughkeepsie and west of the Catskill Mountains. Because Westchester County, Putnam County, and Rockland County contain many communities of New York City commuters, they are rarely if ever considered part of Upstate New York. (As a matter of fact they have been considered part of Metro New York City as far back as the 1950's during the period of mass suburban growth.)
For more information: Upstate New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 PM

555 posts, read 593,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does anyone think north williamsburg, chelsea and tribeca represent most of new york? Are you a rube from the backwaters whose only experience of NYC is the television?
Did I ever say that? I picked three random neighborhoods as examples. No single neighborhood in a 8 million big city can truly represent the entire city. You are nitpicking here, bud.
Anyways, there is not that many neighborhoods in Manhattan that are inhabited en masse by plumbers and electricians, thats some 1.5 million people. There are many in Brooklyn that are inhabited by the educated and creative types. What's your point anyway?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Buffalo is 6 hours away from the city, that is part of upstate as well. Unless your aiming at a direct city upstate that is a hour from the city?

He thought I was from Buffalo. Im not. Im from nowhere near it. So anything about Buffalo pretty much ends there.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post

He thought I was from Buffalo. Im not. Im from nowhere near it. So anything about Buffalo pretty much ends there.
It doesn’t matter from where you are. You haven’t even been to NYC yet.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:

It doesn’t matter from where you come from. You haven’t even been to NYC yet.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
It doesn’t matter from where you are. You haven’t even been to NYC yet.

You divert any attention to yourself when youre wrong or called out (which is every two minutes), dont live in NYC, have never lived in NYC, and have never been to NYC, yet you know everything about NYC, and bash Chicago.

This is your entire shtick.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:

You divert any attention to yourself when youre wrong or called out (which is every two minutes), dont live in NYC, have never lived in NYC, and have never been to NYC, yet you know everything about NYC, and bash Chicago.

This is your entire shtick.
I was raised in New York City and live in Florida. Know enough about New York and Chicago to call BS when I see it. There is no bashing here, just facts.
It is you that is afraid to specify your place of residence and make claims that point to lack of any knowledge about the city.

And no, in NYC, upstate means anything north of NYC. Were talking about NYC here so I dont care what people in Poughkepsie call upstate.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,586,354 times
Quote:
Of course it is. From NYC perspective anything north of NYC is upstate. have you even been to NYC yet? LOL
Evidently, neither have you. Westchester is Westchester. It isn't usually what one thinks of as upstate.

Quote:
Did I ever say that? I picked three random neighborhoods as examples. No single neighborhood in a 8 million big city can truly represent the entire city. You are nitpicking here, bud.
Anyways, there is not that many neighborhoods in Manhattan that are inhabited en masse by plumbers and electricians, thats some 1.5 million people. There are many in Brooklyn that are inhabited by the educated and creative types. What's your point anyway?
Random? The three neighborhoods you chose are cherrypicked or from a limited knowledge of just a few highlights of new york. Sort of like a rube who knows nothing of NYC or perhaps any major city might do, right?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Evidently, neither have you. Westchester is Westchester. It isn't usually what one thinks of as upstate.
"usually"? So it is or it isn't upstate? LOL
As NYC is the southermost part of the state, anything north of New York is upstate. In NYS there is NYC/LI and upstate. Anything that is not NYC/LI or is upstate. That's politics of NYS where half the population lives in the city and half... upstate. Upstate is also being used as direction rather than name of location, meaning northbound, sort of like "uptown" is used the city.

Quote:
Random? The three neighborhoods you chose are cherrypicked or from a limited knowledge of just a few highlights of new york. Sort of like a rube who knows nothing of NYC or perhaps any major city might do, right?
"limited knowledge", "highlights", "rube". Lacking arguments anyone? LOL Bud, I was raised in NYC. I know the city in and out. Substitute Tribeca, Chelsea and Williamsburg with Alphabet City, Gramercy and Park Slope. Better? LOL

Again, in a 8 million city no single neighbourhood can truly represents the entire city. And for someone from mentioned above Gramercy, Bed Stuy seems to be on a different planet.

You are again missing the point which was that Manhattan is as far from blue collar or entry level white collar as you can get. That's some 1.5 million people.

Last edited by flotard; 10-01-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,586,354 times
Quote:
"usually"? So it is or it isn't upstate? LOL
As NYC is the southermost part of the state, anything north of New York is upstate. In NYS there is NYC/LI and upstate. Anything that is not NYC/LI or is upstate. That's politics of NYS where half the population lives in the city and half... upstate. Upstate is also being used as direction rather than name of location, meaning northbound, sort of like "uptown" is used the city.

"limited knowledge", "highlights", "rube". Lacking arguments anyone? LOL Bud, I was raised in NYC. I know the city in and out. Substitute Tribeca, Chelsea and Williamsburg with Alphabet City, Gramercy and Park Slope. Better? LOL

Again, in a 8 million city no single neighbourhood can truly represents the entire city. And for someone from mentioned above Gramercy, Bed Stuy seems to be on a different planet.

You are again missing the point which was that Manhattan is as far from blue collar or entry level white collar as you can get. That's some 1.5 million people.
Oh good, so you actually don't know so you are either part of the bubble I mentioned or you're a rube. And since when did Manhattan and NYC become one and the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City