Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
It's cultural, political etc etc. 'Upstate' can mean different things for people yet usually it is used to denote "the rest of New York State" outside of NYC and LI, for taxing, politcal and other purposes. Historically the upstate NY has been more conservative than NYC. There is of course Western New York etc, yet the most basic divide in NYS is between NYC and the rest of the state that happens to be North, or up from NYC.
So you would consider Yonkers to be Upstate NY? Mt. Vernon? New Rochelle? Scarsdale? White Plains?

Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 AM

399 posts, read 883,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What? Have you ever spend a winter in Chicago and NYC? I don't know the official weather numbers, but from personal experience winters in NYC are like 10 degrees warmer. We get 0 degree temperatures in NYC once every 20 years.

I lived in Brooklyn for about 4 years and Newark/various parts of Jersey for 2. Originally from Upstate. Schooled there as well. Family all over the tri-state area.

I fondly remember attending games at MSG (since im an NY fan) in early February, 2007, where it was single digits.

I think ill pull up weather underground as well to look at the data history.

Chicago is colder, but IMO, its not as overblown as people suggest.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Here ya go:

CHICAGO MIDWAY AP 3 SW, ILLINOIS - Climate Summary

NEW YORK CNTRL PRK WSFO, NEW YORK - Climate Summary

Difference is rather large

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Many (most?) people who live in NYC consider everything north of the city to be "Upstate".

So Westchester would definitely be upstate for a lot of folks living in NYC.

False. Westchester and Rockland and a few other counties hold a large number of commuters. Upstate is generally the area "outside" the commuter base, as the furthest north the MetroNorth starts is in Poughkeepsie.

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Processed it and agree with it. It doesn't mean that's the predominant aspect of Chicago. It's a very rough general trend that a lot of people don't fall into the lines of which is how I responded to the first place and which grapico seems to acknowledge.
It's definitely not predominant, there is a larger presence of it though, but it can be avoided for the most part. Nobody I associate with falls into that category. However, that vibe IS present in 2 of Chicago's "premier" neighborhoods close to DT, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview, also a bit into some of Old Town/Gold Coast it's got a mix I'd say... So it's not a surprise that people see that. And, this is where a high percentage of transplants move. I've never lived in either of those neighborhoods, somebody that lived in them would have a much different experience than somebody living in Wicker Park, Logan Square, Andersonville, Rogers Park, etc. LP and LV are not ALL like that either, but if you want to avoid that culture, you probably should avoid those areas, as you will run into it. It is scattered in some other areas also, and of course, they go in downtown as well. So you will see these types out and about more I guess. I also think Chicagoans would be a bit more into pro sports as well statistically, it's pretty good chance you will spot some people in a Bears or Cubs stuff on any given day somewhere, more so than you will people in Yankees/Giants stuff sans the blue fitted yankee hat that is more in fashion and is seen frequently. The stores like Jewel/Osco as well as DT areas and bars tend to decorate their places with sports paraphanelia more than you see in NYC, at least from what I've noticed. None of that is a reason to avoid Chicago though.

As for people in artistic occupations, there are definitely more both in raw #'s and percentage wise by a wide margin in NYC than Chicago. Again, somewhere like Portland has even more than NYC statistically, and I think that "vibe" comes off when going to the city.
And while I don't have the numbers, I'd imagine there are more more intellectual types from liberal arts colleges and Ivy leagues in NYC, esp Manhattan and a small chunk of Brooklyn.

Last edited by grapico; 10-02-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Not where I come from.

A Syracuse and NYC winter difference is large. A Syracuse and Chicago winter difference is large as well.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Yeah, I have no idea what that guy was talking about.

Chicago weather is VERY similar to Upstate NY weather. NYC weather is quite different from both, and has much milder winters.

In fact, NYC is very different from even the suburbs to the north and west. I remember seeing the Winter weather reports, and if you were up in, say, Northern Westchester (very high elevations, and inland), the weather would be dramatically different, with rain in NYC, and heavy snow in Westchester.

NYC weather is moderated by the coastal location. Winters tend to be rainy moreso than snowy. You will get snow, of course, but rain is the most common weather pattern. You will get a massive snowfall every few years, but the typical winter is full of rain and occasional wet snow/sleet.

A city of roughly 250 square miles has similar weather to a region thats nearly 5-600 miles in diameter?

Chicago is much sunnier and gets much less precipitation (rain/snow) than anywhere in Upstate NY. Its also much warmer on average annually.

The only similarity is low temperatures in winter.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Not where I come from.

A Syracuse and NYC winter difference is large. A Syracuse and Chicago winter difference is large as well.
Not by temperature, Syracuse winters are roughly similar to Chicago though it takes longer to warm up in spring.

SYRACUSE WSO AIRPORT, NEW YORK - Climate Summary

Snow-wise, Chicago is more similar to NYC, as its winters are colder but drier.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
It's cultural, political etc etc. 'Upstate' can mean different things for people yet usually it is used to denote "the rest of New York State" outside of NYC and LI, for taxing, politcal and other purposes. Historically the upstate NY has been more conservative than NYC. There is of course Western New York etc, yet the most basic divide in NYS is between NYC and the rest of the state that happens to be North, or up from NYC.

This whole discussion started when ChicagoOrSeattle denied being from upstate New York even though he wrote:

Im from Upstate NY, and you will be surprised to find out at the cloud cover is roughly the same as you guys. In fact, I think Syracuse and the Central NY region is a tad cloudier to be honest. We live just east of the Great Lakes, and those are HAVENS for moisture and clouds that it drops directly on us.

"Upstate NY", "east of the Great Lakes"? That doesn’t sound like Westchester County, does it? LOL

I denied being from Buffalo, not Upstate. If I wanna get real technical, Buffalo is Western NY and you can ask people from there yourself.

That post is the only time I ever mentioned Buffalo out of nearly 300 posts, yet you thought I was from Buffalo because thats the largest city in Upstate NY/Western NY. I am from nowhere near it, so you can drop it. Im more towards Albany.

I even specifically said Central NY, yet you still said Buffalo???

This guy is out to ****ing lunch.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM

flotard, for someone supposedly "from NYC" which you admitted to, you know awfully little about what Upstate and Downstate are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City