Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM

555 posts, read 592,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Im not necessarily suggesting theyre similar, all im saying is theyre not polar opposites like you see some people saying on this board.

Youd think we were talking about Miami and Minneapolis.
Nobody suggested they are polar opposite but that Chicago winters are much harsher, colder and longer. That's all.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM

399 posts, read 883,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Nobody suggested they are polar opposite but that Chicago winters are much harsher, colder and longer. That's all.

Nobody moves to either city for the weather. They both have roughly one good season, maybe two.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Did I not say I was closer to Albany? Which isnt really similar to Buffalo at all? Its got a more New England flavor but thats neither here nor there.

Who cares where your from even though you made a big fuss about it. You are from a podunk in upstate New York that you are too embarassed to name and which is as siimilar to NYC as are Cleveland or Des Moines. Of course you would feel more at home in Chicago as it is a much smaller city. I cant understand small towns folks bashing New York simply because a big city is not something that they are used to or they like. No wonder you like Chicago more.

Last edited by flotard; 10-02-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 AM

Who gave this dude internet and a keyboard?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,543 times
Quote:
Your defensiveness is pathetic. Chicago winters are longer as based on my experience they last from October to May.
Don't forget that New York City is blessed with Gulfstream that warms up the entire east coast while Chicago is plagued by horrible windchill from the lake.
Latitude is not everything.
But based on your experience it matters more? You have never spent a full winter here, so you cannot speak. Silence please.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM

669 posts, read 917,045 times
Quote:
Nobody moves to either city for the weather. They both have roughly one good season, maybe two.
People don't move to NYC for it's weather but it's sure as hell a lot nicer to people's body than Chicago's. And as it's been stated on the other thread a lot of times already NYC will get a lot more days of nice weather than Chicago. The fact you are now trying to change the arguement to "oh they are both bad" just shows your desperation on the matter.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
But based on your experience it matters more? You have never spent a full winter here, so you cannot speak. Silence please.
And who gave you a crystal ball to declare that I never spent a full winter in Chicago? Yes I have. It's horrible: the cold, the overcast, the windchill and potholes that you can't even see until you hit them. Never again.
As many Chicago transplants to Florida declare, the winter was the major factor that made them leave Chicago. Famous Chicago winter blues. Never again. LOL

Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It's definitely not predominant, there is a larger presence of it though, but it can be avoided for the most part. Nobody I associate with falls into that category. However, that vibe IS present in 2 of Chicago's "premier" neighborhoods close to DT, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview, also a bit into some of Old Town/Gold Coast it's got a mix I'd say... So it's not a surprise that people see that. And, this is where a high percentage of transplants move. I've never lived in either of those neighborhoods, somebody that lived in them would have a much different experience than somebody living in Wicker Park, Logan Square, Andersonville, Rogers Park, etc. LP and LV are not ALL like that either, but if you want to avoid that culture, you probably should avoid those areas, as you will run into it. It is scattered in some other areas also, and of course, they go in downtown as well. So you will see these types out and about more I guess. I also think Chicagoans would be a bit more into pro sports as well statistically, it's pretty good chance you will spot some people in a Bears or Cubs stuff on any given day somewhere, more so than you will people in Yankees/Giants stuff sans the blue fitted yankee hat that is more in fashion and is seen frequently. The stores like Jewel/Osco as well as DT areas and bars tend to decorate their places with sports paraphanelia more than you see in NYC, at least from what I've noticed. None of that is a reason to avoid Chicago though.

As for people in artistic occupations, there are definitely more both in raw #'s and percentage wise by a wide margin in NYC than Chicago. Again, somewhere like Portland has even more than NYC statistically, and I think that "vibe" comes off when going to the city.
And while I don't have the numbers, I'd imagine there are more more intellectual types from liberal arts colleges and Ivy leagues in NYC, esp Manhattan and a small chunk of Brooklyn.
Going back to Chicago friendliness, this whole omnipresent Cubs paraphernalia thing does not make a tourist or a visitor feel welcomed. Quite the opposite. To add to this even the Cubs and Sox fans are openly antagonistic in Chicago.
Chicago friendliness. Give me a break. LOL

Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
People don't move to NYC for it's weather but it's sure as hell a lot nicer to people's body than Chicago's. And as it's been stated on the other thread a lot of times already NYC will get a lot more days of nice weather than Chicago. The fact you are now trying to change the arguement to "oh they are both bad" just shows your desperation on the matter.

Im not trying to change anything. The entire thing is being blown out of proportion to the point where, as with any dumb internet debate, the message gets lost after awhile. Its being made out that they are identical.

My point is, theyre not stark contrasts. Lets say Boston is miles worse than Philly while we're at it.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
And who gave you a crystal ball to declare that I never spent a full winter in Chicago? Yes I have. It's horrible: the cold, the overcast, the windchill and potholes that you can't even see until you hit them. Never again.
As many Chicago transplants to Florida declare, the winter was the major factor that made them leave Chicago. Famous Chicago winter blues. Never again. LOL

Why are there more NYers in Florida then?

Snowbird culture isnt just solely a Chicago phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City