Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM

555 posts, read 592,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah, I'm aware. I'm just hammering the points that have been missed... on this board, over time, not just in this thread. Whether you prefer it, or, don't notice it, doesn't matter... the two are quite a bit different. In terms of cold temps which is why many don't necessarily like winter, NYC's winter is statistically more similar to Raleigh, NC than it is with Chicago. I.E. # of days it is below freezing, # of days below 20 etc. Shocking maybe, true though, Raleigh just doesn't see the snow levels, instead gets plenty of drizzle, as it does on up through Richmond/DC/Philly, progressively more snow/drizzle combinations. But amazingly, with such a similar difference, most can quite easily tell the difference between a NYC and Raleigh winter, people can tell the difference between NYC and DC as well! So why are people saying Chicago and NYC are practically the same? It's absurd.

Average lows in all 3 Dec/Jan/Feb
NYC 32/27/29
Raleigh 33/31/34
Chicago 21/16/20

I dont think yuusr ever claimed they are the same. I think you mean to direct your comment at somebody else here...

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Summers in Chicago definitely make up for winters in Chicago. I will say though that I enjoy winter weather. I enjoy cold (and hopefully snowy) Christmases, and I can dress for the cold, unlike the heat. Thankfully the last couple of winters were mild since that damn blizzard.
Yeah that last few winters have been very mild. Actually I prefer the cold and snowy winters. Last winter was very mild but pretty depressing. It was like a Seattle winter. Mild, wet and gloomy.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM

555 posts, read 592,395 times
Quote:
Summers in Chicago definitely make up for winters in Chicago. I will say though that I enjoy winter weather. I enjoy cold (and hopefully snowy) Christmases, and I can dress for the cold, unlike the heat. Thankfully the last couple of winters were mild since that damn blizzard.

I dont think so. Nothing can make up for below 0 days you have to endure during an average Chicago winter.
Its usually just a few days but still it is pure murder. I am not saying you can't enjoy this kind of weather, some people do, for me however that's not fun at all and most people I knew in Chicago simply stayed at home as much as they could. Even in Chicago where people are used to the cold, the difference between summer foot traffic in downtown and winter (outside of commute to work, of course) is like night and day.
Chicago has two faces: summer and winter face.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,196,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
I dont think so. Nothing can make up for below 0 days you have to endure during an average Chicago winter.
Its usually just a few days but still it is pure murder. I am not saying you can't enjoy this kind of weather, some people do, for me however that's not fun at all and most people I knew in Chicago simply stayed at home as much as they could. Even in Chicago where people are used to the cold, the difference between summer foot traffic in downtown and winter (outside of commute to work, of course) is like night and day.
Chicago has two faces: summer and winter face.
I'm from the Midwest, it gets cold here. The only complaint I have about Chicago's winters, overall, is that the wind bites more than I was used to further south in the Midwest.

The tourism numbers also do drop off, but the touristy places like Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier remain full of tourists in the winter. It's not like people stop coming. Social events and bars are also still full of people in the winter. Chicago's "winter face" is that people can't enjoy the lake or the parks like they used to. It's not that the residents become shut ins who only leave their homes for work or school. It's called buying that puffy black NorthFace that everyone owns and coat check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
I disagree with that completely. Nothing in the US would "make up" for Chicago winters in my opinion. Seattle level summer might be very close but not even that. Now summer is one thing that NYC and Chicago are pretty close, Chicago is just a bit cooler.
I'm originally from the St. Louis area, and Chicago's colder winter more than makes up for St. Louis' unbearable summer. Chicagoans like to complain about summer being hot and humid, but it's nothing compared to St. Louis

That's why Chicago's summer more than makes up for its winter for me. This is the Midwest, you're not going to get four pleasant seasons.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
fareastcoast, a former NYer who lived/lives in Chicago has said numerous times on here that Chicago is a better summer city than NYC.
I guess it's official then...

Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
I dont think yuusr ever claimed they are the same. I think you mean to direct your comment at somebody else here...
I know, I was agreeing with him. I'm aware wasn't meant to be mean, I see it might have come off that way.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
I'm from the Midwest, it gets cold here. The only complaint I have about Chicago's winters, overall, is that the wind bites more than I was used to further south in the Midwest.

The tourism numbers also do drop off, but the touristy places like Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier remain full of tourists in the winter. It's not like people stop coming. Social events and bars are also still full of people in the winter. Chicago's "winter face" is that people can't enjoy the lake or the parks like they used to. It's not that the residents become shut ins who only leave their homes for work or school. It's called buying that puffy black NorthFace that everyone owns and coat check.

I'm originally from the St. Louis area, and Chicago's colder winter more than makes up for St. Louis' unbearable summer. Chicagoans like to complain about summer being hot and humid, but it's nothing compared to St. Louis

That's why Chicago's summer more than makes up for its winter for me. This is the Midwest, you're not going to get four pleasant seasons.
Good post.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,301,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess it's official then...
. "A former NY'er who now lives in Chicago"... What about a former Chicagoan who now lives in NY? I am guessing he/she might have a different opinion.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:32 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
I think the two best summers in the country are Chicago and Seattle. They really come alive too.

fareastcoast, a former NYer who lived/lives in Chicago has said numerous times on here that Chicago is a better summer city than NYC. I can see that. The weather is better, the city is cleaner, theres tons of free festivals and block parties, etc. The lake is there.

I think my favorite time in NYC is fall up to Christmas. Summers are great too.
The beaches, parks, museums, bars, restaurants, pier, outdoor entertainment areas, etc are all in walking distance. Chicago is a wider city, it gets more sunlight because of the spacing and there are less shadow cast from the building. People have more room, the body heat and heat island effect are marginalized.

These reasons make Chicago one of the best summer cities.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Timelapse NYC Summer 2012 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City