Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,792,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Why wouldn't you care at 22?
Because most people earn a second degree nowadays. If you're only going to work for two years and then apply to business school, then what does it matter if you're not stacking cash hand over first (which you won't be doing anyway on that salary). And coming out of college, you're more willing to slum it with multiple roommates than you are at 30.

Quote:
You know a lot of college grads are having a hard time just getting a full time. While NYC offers the most opportunity of any city, the potential of living in poverty in NYC seems like a nightmare to me.
Why would you be concerned about that if you have a job?

Quote:
But again, why should everyone have to try the most exciting city at 22? Believe it or not there is a huge population that hates NYC, even at 22 just as they do Chicago.
That's fine, but the OP asked about NYC. My assumption was that it was a place he was actually considering moving to. Not sure where I got that crazy idea from.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 PM

669 posts, read 917,846 times
Quote:
OK can you answer these questions:

Is Chicago too dense or too spread out?
Is Chicago too expensive or too cheap?
Is Chicago too laid back or too fast paced?
Is Chicago to homogenous or too diverse?

Now answer these:

Is Houston too dense or too spread out?
Is Houston too expensive or too cheap?
Is Houston too laid back or too fast paced?

Do the same for NYC. You will see that Chicago comes better at offering a better balance despite your preferences. Then tell me that Chicago is not a well balanced city.

Take all the time you want thinking about answers. I am going back to work. See ya!
There is only two answers to all of your question:

Quote:
Compared to Houston it is compared to NYC it is not.

Compared to NYC it is compared to Houston it is not.
I am hoping you at least posses enough intellectual to figure out which one goes with which question. Then again considering you I won't be surprised.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 PM

399 posts, read 883,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree with you that Chicago offers a whole lot at a great price point. And the COL disparity between NYC and Chicago is not something to be taken lightly.

But at 22 years of age? I guess I wasn't too practical then and saving money for a downpayment on a house wasn't a priority. Sure, it's cheaper to live in Chicago. But I liken it to having All Season tires. They're cheaper than dedicated season tires, and they ride perfectly fine, but no matter the season they're always second best.

But do people living in Chicago incessantly and obsessively remind themselves everytime they do something that.... "this is cheaper but second best"?

Does anyone care about these things outside of a small internet forum geared towards city stat freaks and meaningless polls?

IMO, the Italian food in NYC is "second best" compared to where I come from Upstate. Its all subjective.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that Chicago offers a whole lot at a great price point. And the COL disparity between NYC and Chicago is not something to be taken lightly.

But at 22 years of age? I guess I wasn't too practical then and saving money for a downpayment on a house wasn't a priority. Sure, it's cheaper to live in Chicago. But I liken it to having All Season tires. They're cheaper than dedicated season tires, and they ride perfectly fine, but no matter the season they're always second best.

I dont know about you, but I dont know many 22 year olds today that have the financial mobility to make these decisions.

Its no coincidence cheaper cities are also the fastest growing, especially among young people. Cost is huge factor today, more than ever.

Frankly, when I am anywhere that isnt NYC, the last thing on my damn mind is NYC and how it compares. When I was young and naive, I was like that. Then over time I realized, it really doesnt matter.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:48 PM

With stagnant and declining wages and inflation as high as its ever been, why do people continue to downplay the importance of cost of living?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM

896 posts, read 1,401,734 times
Quote:

Yes, but it partying really more important than financial security. A person can achieve both. Every 22 is not looking to blow there money. Is doesn't make a better life.

Also, I partied at 22, 23 but still cared about having some money left over at the end of the day.

There is no point of partying if someone has to move back home.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:55 PM

896 posts, read 1,401,734 times
But do people living in Chicago incessantly and obsessively remind themselves everytime they do something that.... "this is cheaper but second best"?

Does anyone care about these things outside of a small internet forum geared towards city stat freaks and meaningless polls?

IMO, the Italian food in NYC is "second best" compared to where I come from Upstate. Its all subjective.

Sometimes, I think about it and I do not even prefer urban cities.

Sometimes I would want to live in New York City for about a month just to see what the hype is about and is it really more exciting and great.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post

Sometimes, I think about it and I do not even prefer urban cities.

Sometimes I would want to live in New York City for about a month just to see what the hype is about and is it really more exciting and great.

Ive had among the best food ive eaten in both cities. Theres really no clear winner on food to me.

Chicago however, doesnt match the size and grandeur of NYC. That probably plays a big part in the draw.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,829,355 times
Quote:
Because most people earn a second degree nowadays. If you're only going to work for two years and then apply to business school, then what does it matter if you're not stacking cash hand over first (which you won't be doing anyway on that salary). And coming out of college, you're more willing to slum it with multiple roommates than you are at 30.

Why would you be concerned about that if you have a job?

That's fine, but the OP asked about NYC. My assumption was that it was a place he was actually considering moving to. Not sure where I got that crazy idea from.
That's is actually in decline. Students are graduating with a lot of debt and having a hard time finding a job. A grad degree is extremely expensive and doesn't guarantee a high paying job.

I work at a marketing agency, a very famous and global one and one of the top players of the industry. I would say that 80% of the people here do not have an advanced degree nor are they seeking to get one. Why? Because it's so darn expensive and for the most part is not a guarantee to a better position.

You seem to be assuming a lot. NYC just like SF are very expensive cities to live in and your typical college grad is not making enough money to really provide a comfortable living. There is a reason why cities like Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc are booming in population. People are moving there for two reasons, jobs and COL because neither of those cities offer a great urban or exciting experience.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:04 PM

2,567 posts, read 3,635,328 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't you care at 22?

You know a lot of college grads are having a hard time just getting a full time. While NYC offers the most opportunity of any city, the potential of living in poverty in NYC seems like a nightmare to me.

But again, why should everyone have to try the most exciting city at 22? Believe it or not there is a huge population that hates NYC, even at 22 just as they do Chicago.

You make it seem like NYC is the ideal for everyone. And that's the thing, in YOUR eyes NYC is a 10 and Chicago is a 7, but for many people is is the opposite. Again there are many people that prefer not live in NYC.

You seem to have this idea that everyone is seeking to live an NYC lifestyle and coming out of college making a good salary that could provide them a comfortable living in NYC. Maybe that was the case for you but that isn't for everyone else.
In the US, NYC is my second favorite city in the US but only because US cities, on the whole, suck like god's vaccum. NYC is great, but it's all relative. It's too expensive, too crowded and too vertical. Not a lot of charm with NYC, at least Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City