Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM

314 posts, read 423,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
The homerism on c-d is evident when posters from certain parts of the country try to deny facts and hard data. For instance, we spent days in this forum proving that Chicago winters are colder and longer than New Yorks by some two months when all it takes is a quick look at readily available stats.
While Chicago is not Detroit it is much closer to Detroit and other Midwestern cities in its character than to New York.
Which I've never done. I was accused of "homerism" for calling bs on his ridiculous make believe Chicago-Detroit statistics and accusations. As far as character every city moves in a diff way but in the end people are people and I've met them from all over. To paint everyone in New York as open minded, cultured, diverse intellectuals is beyond false and that's where reality ends and c-d fantasy land begins. I seriously hope people don't make relocation decisions based off the comments on this site cause they're in for a rude awakening.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM

399 posts, read 883,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Yes, because people enjoying quality time in NYC are sure worried about how they could be spending a cheap time in Chicago. They choose the city to live in so they are obviously aware what the cost of things is like. And according to their population a lot more care about than quality of life rather than getting it by cheap.

Of course it's subjective. Everything is subjective. One could claim a Houston and Dallas offers a much better quality of life than Chicago and that nobody would be able to dismiss it as not being a fact. Still doesn't change the fact more people prefer a city over another on things. And trying to dismiss the whole thing by saying it's only on "small Internet forums" because Chicago can't win this fight with numbers is not about to change that. Obviously it is a bigger number than Chicago in real life too.

It is not about actually being 22 year old, it is about being young at heart. A lot of 22 year olds are a bunch of couch potatoes who does nothing but sit at home all day. While a lot of 42 year olds are living more exciting lives than most people in their 20s. We are talking about living in a city, not being a professional Olympic runner here. If you are young at heart you should be able to handle NYC at any age unless maybe your elderly.

Cities aren't growing now because they are cheap, it's growing because of job creation. The reason cities like Houston and Dallas are attracting so many people is because of job creation not because they are so cheap to live. You don't you mention growth for Chicago then? It was one of the slowest growing cities. Even lost population metro wise. Why is the exact opposite thing happing to it if cities are growing in general because they are cheap?

Im not going to bother reading your reply. In fact, im done reading any of your posts because they dont make a difference.

So ill say this. Nothing ive experienced in Chicago has been "second best" to NYC. There, I just canceled out your opinion. See how that works? To expand further, not once have I ever said to myself while in Chicago, "gee, I sure have NYC on my mind right now while doing this."

Old 10-12-2013, 03:02 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
In the US, NYC is my second favorite city in the US but only because US cities, on the whole, suck like god's vaccum. NYC is great, but it's all relative. It's too expensive, too crowded and too vertical. Not a lot of charm with NYC, at least Manhattan.
Yep. I generally don't really care for American cities. Chicago I have a soft spot for because I love the lakefront and the architecture. Other American cities have natural beauty to boost them up. But New York City is one place where I would never live even if I was a billionaire. Too dirty, crowded, in your face, blah for me. If I had the kind of income to live comfortably in NYC, I'd easily pick almost any city in Western Europe over NYC. But that's just me. I tend to value a more polite/refined populace, prettier buildings, richer history, and better access to other countries/cultural experiences. I don't hate NYC but it will never be on my radar as a place to live.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,414,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Yes, because people enjoying quality time in NYC are sure worried about how they could be spending a cheap time in Chicago. They choose the city to live in so they are obviously aware what the cost of things is like. And according to their population a lot more care about than quality of life rather than getting it by cheap.

Of course it's subjective. Everything is subjective. One could claim a Houston and Dallas offers a much better quality of life than Chicago and that nobody would be able to dismiss it as not being a fact. Still doesn't change the fact more people prefer a city over another on things. And trying to dismiss the whole thing by saying it's only on "small Internet forums" because Chicago can't win this fight with numbers is not about to change that. Obviously it is a bigger number than Chicago in real life too.

It is not about actually being 22 year old, it is about being young at heart. A lot of 22 year olds are a bunch of couch potatoes who does nothing but sit at home all day. While a lot of 42 year olds are living more exciting lives than most people in their 20s. We are talking about living in a city, not being a professional Olympic runner here. If you are young at heart you should be able to handle NYC at any age unless maybe your elderly.

Cities aren't growing now because they are cheap, it's growing because of job creation. The reason cities like Houston and Dallas are attracting so many people is because of job creation not because they are so cheap to live. You don't you mention growth for Chicago then? It was one of the slowest growing cities. Even lost population metro wise. Why is the exact opposite thing happing to it if cities are growing in general because they are cheap?
It should be noted that Chicago absolutely is NOT losing population metro-wise and has not historically ever done so.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM

109 posts, read 239,431 times
When people say Chicago is nice, do they mean in a random street setting or in a professional environment? Because I work here on the Southside for a non-for-profit organization and recently got recommended to sit on the board of this organization. And it also seems like in the workforce of Chicago (at least Southside) people are obsessed with power, are respected based off of their leadership, domineering personality, ability to control others, and keep other people underneath them. You'll end up being a soldier forever. The old guys not stepping down for the new guys. Working on the Southside is like being in a street gang or mafia type hierarchy. This whole "mob boss" mentality people bring to the workforce out here ****s with my head sometimes. Which is why I'm considering starting my own company, to be my own boss, have my own underlings, and increase my influence instead of waiting on the older guys to give up power because you're niceness isn't respected on the Southside, only your ability to dominate your underlings. Maybe Northside Chicago is different, but never lived there so don't know.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
When people say Chicago is nice, do they mean in a random street setting or in a professional environment? Because I work here on the Southside for a non-for-profit organization and recently got recommended to sit on the board of this organization. And it also seems like in the workforce of Chicago (at least Southside) people are obsessed with power, are respected based off of their leadership, domineering personality, ability to control others, and keep other people underneath them. You'll end up being a soldier forever. The old guys not stepping down for the new guys. Working on the Southside is like being in a street gang or mafia type hierarchy. This whole "mob boss" mentality people bring to the workforce out here ****s with my head sometimes. Which is why I'm considering starting my own company, to be my own boss, have my own underlings, and increase my influence instead of waiting on the older guys to give up power because you're niceness isn't respected on the Southside, only your ability to dominate your underlings. Maybe Northside Chicago is different, but never lived there so don't know.
Yes all Chicago workers are like that and have that mentality, even the janitors and fast food workers are power hungry like that.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 PM

555 posts, read 592,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
It should be noted that Chicago absolutely is NOT losing population metro-wise and has not historically ever done so.
it has to be noted that the City of Chicago has been loosing population since 1950's, to be exact about a1 million or a quarter of population of the city is gone.
Metro Chicago is growing which does not change the fact that the city is shrinking. For comparison both metro and city of New York are more populous than EVER BEFORE and are both still growing.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 PM

555 posts, read 592,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yes all Chicago workers are like that and have that mentality, even the janitors and fast food workers are power hungry like that.
The time spent in Chicago was job related and I noticed that in comparison to New York there is much more patronizing allowed here in Chicago. I am talking about the language that it deemed appropriate when dealing with subordinated in Chicago. That wouldn't fly in New York City.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:25 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,414,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
it has to be noted that the City of Chicago has been loosing population since 1950's, to be exact about a1 million or a quarter of population of the city is gone.
Metro Chicago is growing which does not change the fact that the city is shrinking. For comparison both metro and city of New York are more populous than EVER BEFORE and are both still growing.
Great for them. The previous poster was clearly making up facts about the Chicago metro losing population, which is factually incorrect.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:31 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Great for them. The previous poster was clearly making up facts about the Chicago metro losing population, which is factually incorrect.
Dont feed the trolls! Just ignore him will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City