Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 PM

68 posts, read 37,514 times

Advertisements

Washington has urban centers. My really doesnt. It's a nice state with few amenities. Not really comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:53 PM

461 posts, read 554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellirish View Post
Add to my reply:

Many people who are advocates of living in NH are living in SOUTHERN NH,
where they can GO shopping at outlet stores, go to a movie,
order a take out pizza, or see a Vetrinarian...

These people are more on the lines of transplants from MA
who skipped across the border so they could cut wood and play
at snowshoeing...Different in NORTHERN NH. when it is
averaging 20 or 30 degrees colder and 2 feet more snow and
you are using those snowshoes to wade out to your woodpile
to cut wood just so you wont FREEZE!!

Screw Norman Rockwell!

Look, WA State has everything you want. There is NO. whiitewater
rafting here...the trail system is overun, and I worry about me and
my dog with the ticks/Lyme all the time...I got no less than 15 ticks off
us this spring...and counting...

The moose population is in SEVERE decline here due to
winter tick...

OH! HEROIN IS HUGE HERE!! No kidding...You
wouldn't think "in the woods?!" Ya! And the crime/break ins are
horrible...7 houses this year on my road..including mine!

I got a security camera and remote access now...so I can monitor fom out of. state.
Bastards wont get in again!! It goes right to the cops! Plus I have to
board up everything too...

DRUGS...all for getting high...

Festivals. Biggest festival or fair you'll have here in NH? Flea market with some ****ty
band "Bob Marfly and the hooters" or something...boring boring boring

Any transplants to Northern NH are usually down on their luck, trying to
make a buck snowboarder ski bum types.
Lots of alcoholism!! Spousal abuse...

Just open the paper or drive around and you'll see signs
offering help...
People don't have much $ here...relying on tourism, and summer
to bring much needed $$... I would say 60% are on assistance...

Go to WA...You'll pay higher tax rares but you quality of
life is unsurpassed!!
I currently live in FL ok but I have thought about how good NH would be to live in if I stayed from Nashua to Manchester though. Not too much more north.. perhaps Bow but that might be pushing it. I am actually from Lowell/Billerica/Chelmsford area originally. But ya NH could be a totally different ballgame when you get north.. maybe even like Florida to some degree when you get outside of Tampa like in those somewhat populated Podunk towns. Plaistow seems alright, Salem isn't as favorable as Nashua area, Manchester is alright I'd say. but ya its anyones guess when you get north of there. It could be horrible for all I know. I thought North Conway was nice though but then again I visited.

Anyways I also could be going to WA state in 1 yr too maybe to live so I looked up a NH vs WA thread just to see what came up. This came up. I just have a feeling that if my stepdad and mom move from CA, they will either be going back to the Northeast, possibly NH or upper NY OR they could stay west and he can be closer to his job around Olympia area. It looks to me like WA may be the most superior state to any of these though whether it be FL, MA even, NH overall too, Vermont. Theres at least more civilization anyhow and outdoor opportunities, fishing. More meetup groups more than likely also. NH probably doesn't have a lot of activity when you think about it.. I'd say its lots of suburbs for the most part throughout Southern NH.. nice but its geared toward an upper middle class lifestyle I'd for sure say. Amherst doesn't seem that good. This helped me out too because I was actually thinking NH would be maybe an equal consideration but nope, it might just be WA for me too

Old 11-24-2016, 11:11 AM

74 posts, read 61,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feskone View Post
I don't get these sentiments about NH, police state or hillbilly place with backwards philosophy. Doesnt NH have more libertarians voted into their politics than any other state and is constantly rated as on of the most and sometimes even most educated states. Who to believe now? What about Free State Project on turning NH into another Switzerland? There are 20 000 people just pledged to move to the state to make it even more libertarian.

As I live in California I know exactly what police state is. I can only assume that Oregon and Washington are even worse because I have impression they are even more liberal and democratic states than CA. At least I know it by the fact of homeschooling. They are much more restrictive than CA on that regard.

Libertarians are basically Republicans with bongs.

NH barely went blue.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:13 AM

74 posts, read 61,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
And what do you get by going to Portland? Small, slightly more landlocked (and a little more crazy) Seattle. It doesn't in any meaningful way feel different from the Emerald City. Nor does Vancouver. They all, quite distinctly, look and feel like variations on the same theme. The whole region is beautiful - easily the most striking visuals near a major urban center in the lower 48), but it's also exceedingly homogeneous, both culturally and physically. I've never felt so trapped living anywhere in my life, and that includes central Texas and middle-of-nowhere Illinois.

Boston, NYC, Philly corridor is also exceedingly homogeneous. You only really need NYC for all your urban needs, unless you want to take a history trip or visit a college, then its obviously Philly or Boston for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City