Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you want to live in and why?
Indianapolis 48 40.68%
Detroit 70 59.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2012, 06:44 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well there are 2 pretty big lakes just NE of Detroit.
You're thinking St. Clair and Huron....?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Indianapolis unforeately will not win this poll. Its a great city, with a ton of history but everyone assumes indianapolis has rednecks and racing. Detroit is a great city but its not the greatest
While that is your opinion, and I respect it, stereotypes are often misleading, though most of them are based on some truth. Having said that, since you seem to think these stereotypes lead people to vote for one city over the other, I would think that the stereotype surrounding Detroit should be far worse.

- Some of the highest unemployment in the country.
- Some of the highest poverty levels in the country.
- One of, if not THE, fastest shrinking city in the country. (metro area is shrinking now too)
- Very poor job outlook in Detroit with compared to Indianapolis, a city that is on the upswing
- Very large difference in crime and murder rates.

The stereotypes of Detroit are worse, the city is all black and full of thugs, (82% black), the city is full of corruption, full of abandoned buildings and gangs, violence, etc.

The Indianapolis 500 actually receives world attention, people outside of the country view it more favorably than a lot of Americans do, which is a little sad.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
While that is your opinion, and I respect it, stereotypes are often misleading, though most of them are based on some truth. Having said that, since you seem to think these stereotypes lead people to vote for one city over the other, I would think that the stereotype surrounding Detroit should be far worse.

- Some of the highest unemployment in the country.
- Some of the highest poverty levels in the country.
- One of, if not THE, fastest shrinking city in the country. (metro area is shrinking now too)
- Very poor job outlook in Detroit with compared to Indianapolis, a city that is on the upswing
- Very large difference in crime and murder rates.

The stereotypes of Detroit are worse, the city is all black and full of thugs, (82% black), the city is full of corruption, full of abandoned buildings and gangs, violence, etc.

The Indianapolis 500 actually receives world attention, people outside of the country view it more favorably than a lot of Americans do, which is a little sad.
I'm fascinated by people who think a car race is interesting. What exactly interests you watching cars go around in a circle?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
How do Carmel and Fishers top Bloomfield Hills and the Grosse Pointes in Mi?
They don't

Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I'd probably pick Indianapolis. Yeah not much going on there, but I'd live in the city itself, not the suburbs. I don't like to live directly in a downtown, but in another neighborhood of the city that is relatively close to the downtown. The neighborhoods of Detroit aren't so hot. It is also closer to Chicago where I have friends. I don't know a soul in Detroit, nor Michigan, nor Canada. Slightly better winters also. So Detroit has some better suburbs, well, suburbs anywhere are not appealing to me whatsoever. I.E., I would move to another city before I moved to the burbs of Chicago.

Last edited by grapico; 12-25-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I'm fascinated by people who think a car race is interesting. What exactly interests you watching cars go around in a circle?
Why do people find anything fascinating?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'd probably pick Indianapolis. Yeah not much going on there, but I'd live in the city itself, not the suburbs. I don't like to live directly in a downtown, but in another neighborhood of the city that is relatively close to the downtown. The neighborhoods of Detroit aren't so hot. It is also closer to Chicago where I have friends. I don't know a soul in Detroit, nor Michigan, nor Canada. Slightly better winters also. So Detroit has some better suburbs, well, suburbs anywhere are not appealing to me whatsoever. I.E., I would move to another city before I moved to the burbs of Chicago.
Excellent point. A city is more than just its suburbs. Indianapolis has fantastic suburbs, and so does Detroit. But there is more to the city than just that, Indianapolis as a city has much nicer inner city neighborhoods compared with Detroit where the stereotypes are true.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
If I could live in Royal Oak or Gross Pointe then I'll go with Detroit. Though if it was an ultimatum to live within city limits then I guess Indy. Indeed living in Michigan sounds more appealing than Indiana. If given the option to visit either city then I'd definitely choose Detroit as it just seems to have more soul. I root for Detroit and hope that someday it gets its act together and has a rebirth and taps into its unlimited potential. Maybe they need an army of gay people to gentrify the place.
Interesting! Do you think we can drastically change Detroit if we set off a gay bomb there rather than send the gay army?

Old 12-25-2012, 03:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My observation is that hardcore open-wheel racing fans are as passionate about the technology, design and performance of the cars as they are the actual race.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
It's really hard to pick between the two. Detroit has so much more potential than Indianapolis, but it just seems like success is extremely far away. Indy on the other hand isn't out of this world right now, but has a lot of nice infill projects going on and a booming downtown. Detroit is a bigger metro, but Indy is growing in the city (slightly) and the suburbs. Detroit's suburbs are home to much more wealth and better shopping, but Indy also has some nice ones too. Detroit also has much better topography. I even like Detroit's location better seeing as how it's not a bad drive to Chicago or Toronto.

Since I don't want to live in the suburbs anywhere, I would pick Indianapolis. Detroit has all the potential in the world, but I just don't see the city seriously being able to capitalize on it anytime soon. By the time that they finally do, other cities including Indianapolis could be way ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.