Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
As someone who spent many years of my life in Houston, the fact that you would prefer to call Houston home over Paris gives me considerable insight into your seemingly obsessive preference for SF over NYC. Special thanks for this enlightening post.
I spent over half my life in Houston. I'll agree it's an okay place to live for raising families and putting down roots, but as someone who loves cities and city life, Houston is among the least desirable places to live in the US to me. It is an odd combination of nearly all the drawbacks of city life with very few of the benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Then answer the questions:
And all it means is you have high incomes
and low incomes in close proximity. Is there
something wrong with that?

Furthermore, WHY ARE YOU BLAMING
SPECIFIC CITIES FOR A " PROBLEM" THAT
IS CAUSED BY FREE MARKET CAPITALISM?

And WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK IS THE
SOLUTION? Rich people should give up part
of their income and have it divided among
the poor????

Well?

I thought so.
For starters. Not only is it unjust, but it's bad for growth.

4 reasons we should fix economic inequality | ideas.ted.com

Income inequality hurts economic growth, researchers say - The Washington Post

Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Nope because Santa Monica is separated from LA.

Now go cry.

No Philly, no DC, no Boston-wow
Quit bringing the rest of the East in to this. Culturally, NYC > The Bay. Deal with it.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
To some degree I can see the argument that the average citizen of SF does in fact lead a slightly higher QOL. They could have better jobs on the average, bigger house, more disposable income, etc.. However, that doesn't mean that SF is automatically a better city. The more time I spend in cities, I realize that the more interesting parts of the cities are usually around the rough edges. NYC's rough edges in particular are just so fascinating to me. Also the neverending-ness of it all really seperates the two cities for me. I really want to go to a show at the Palace of Fine Arts, and I will one day. The friends I have out there love SF and North California, as I think most people would. I think the average American would pick SF over NYC, but to city dwellers like myself and most of us on here, NYC is hard to top if someone offered you a job with good compensation.

As for saying one city is more "cultural" than the other is an interesting question, and really comes down to what you are looking for. As the science ficition genre has taught us (and the Nazi's), a homogeneous population and society is not something we should strive to becoming. In that sense, I prefer the diversity of races and professions in NYC more than a city like SF that is so heavily dominated by a select few industries.

SF's chokehold on the tech industry is beginning to fade as more of the rest of the world is gaining internet access. The tech industry domestically is spreading across a ton of cities, with startups trying to make their cities the next bay area. Just was reading an article about how in India, they are creating a massive tech industry with a lot of workers not being able to acquire US Visas and opting to start their own companies.

While a high QOL is important it is somewhat disappointing how expensive cost of living has become in both places. Would Bob Sagat and the Olson twins been priced out of their house considering they relied on a single income to support a whole family?
Lol at the Full House reference. Great post--SF isn't as diverse as Montclair makes it seem, and it's certainly culturally inferior to NYC.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,250 times
William and Kate are in NYC and are meeting president Obama in DC. Flyingover SF as they fly over the world.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
For starters. Not only is it unjust, but it's bad for growth.
It's only bad if youre poor, and even then, that's not any city's fault.

Furthermore, so what? Wanna better life? Get a 2nd or 3rd job, go back to school, acquire skills, etc.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicky Ricky View Post
William and Kate are in NYC and are meeting president Obama in DC. Flyingover SF as they fly over the world.
Yawns. What the hell is a Prince William next to a Mark Zuckerberg? Answer: Not much.

Oh, and Prince William takes the Bay with him everywhere boo.
http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/...ges/894051.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-09-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 10:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Lmao @ Montclair's post. I legitimately found it funny.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pretty much every year NYC tops the list as the city people most want to live in/near:

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > California Stands Out as the State Where Americans Most
Except for the year San Francisco was #1. Also NYC leads the nation as the city most would least like to live in every year.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Yawns. What the hell is a Prince William next to a Mark Zuckerberg? Answer: Not much.

Oh, and Prince William takes the Bay with him everywhere boo.
I'll take the cultured royal over the socially awkward nerd, every time.

Lol at the iPhone representing the Bay--you're reaching on that one. It's manufactured primarily in Asia--by that logic, does Prince William take China with him everywhere too?

How and Where iPhone Is Made: A Report on How Much of Apple's Top Product is US-manufactured | Finances Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City