Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Was there a more in-depth follow up to that blurb from Sassen? I'm interested in reading it. I'm also interested in not talking about the Bay Area anymore because it's not mentioned in the article and there are just oodles of topic dedicated to comparing the Bay Area with other cities and I don't see why we have to have that party raging here, too.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Was there a more in-depth follow up to that blurb from Sassen? I'm interested in reading it. I'm also interested in not talking about the Bay Area anymore because it's not mentioned in the article and there are just oodles of topic dedicated to comparing the Bay Area with other cities and I don't see why we have to have that party raging here, too.
In fact, that's what is absolutely missing from this thread--actual content from the report in question.

Instead the creator immediately following this first post follows up in the third post with a comment about CSA GDPs when this ranking has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.

And here we are.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In fact, that's what is absolutely missing from this thread--actual content from the report in question.

Instead the creator immediately following this first post follows up in the third post with a comment about CSA GDPs when this ranking has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.

And here we are.
Yea, so you guys go do that over private messages or chatroulette or something.

I know this is just the US forum, but did anyone find some of the foreign cities listed in the whitesheet surprising? Why list Nairobi instead of Addis Ababa, Lagos, or Joburg? And why is it grouped with Vienna and Geneva on this with the linking explained along social justice and global commons? Then again, I have no idea what is going in Nairobi.

I also find it interesting that the whitesheet was on the rise of urban geopolitics and groups of cities/metros working as their own global entity but with several of these vectors mentioned including national capitals which means they are still in some sense swinging the might of the nation around and not just the city.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM

778 posts, read 998,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I still don't get what's going on in this thread.

What's the argument here?

Penis envy.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Penis envy.
Apparently a condition that is widespread in flyover country.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Apparently a condition that is widespread in flyover country.

The third busiest airport in the world is flyover country? Sounds like anything but to me.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:45 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
18Montclair, how about other forumers who've been saying you're full of
insercurities ? Did you "destroy" them as well ? LOL

So far I believe you already "destroyed" Saskia Sassen, Richard Florida, GaWC, MasterCard, PwC, The Economist ,etc. LOL

Thanks for a long essay, Mr. Internet dude!
Those surveys are good, at least your city gets acknowledged by reviewers but those surveys dont derive relevance and influence as they should.

Chicago's no longer more influential or relevant than the bay area and we never see any arguments to prove that it is...

#Getyourstats

Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
The third busiest airport in the world is flyover country? Sounds like anything but to me.
Space, space, space, Chicago's airport is busy because its a hub for United, the worlds largest airliner, from those tens of millions there are very few that walk the streets of Chicago outside the airport.

btw, Chicago has a great airport but it could be better. It only services 4 continents, that's great but it falls behind NYC, LA, DC, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta.

#SFO>ORD

Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm also interested in not talking about the Bay Area anymore because it's not mentioned in the article and there are just oodles of topic dedicated to comparing the Bay Area with other cities and I don't see why we have to have that party raging here, too.

The fact that this thread was hijacked by their boosters is proof enough of their mentality and how annoying it is. It has literally zero to do with the OP.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM

Here come the Westboro Baptists again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City