Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Connecticut vs Maryland
Connecticut 15 39.47%
Maryland 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2024, 09:41 AM

16 posts, read 10,413 times

Advertisements

Overall, Maryland has more climatic, topographical and vegetative variety than Connecticut, which is a result of its more extensive longitude and southerly latitude. On the East Coast, Maryland is where the climate becomes more comfortable, with earlier springs, longer summers and milder winters. If you enjoy boating and/or gardening, then Maryland would probably be the superior option due to a longer “high season.”

Circling back on geography, Maryland is also closer to and better connected with the rest of country than Connecticut/New England. Traffic in Maryland is heavy, especially between Baltimore and Washington, but Maryland has more “escape routes” than Connecticut due to I-70, I-81, I-83 and I-95 (among other roads). It is difficult to believe that, as ancient and prolific as Hartford and Providence are (i.e., state capital cities founded during the early colonial era), there is no interstate highway linking those two cities together as of 2024.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 10:38 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Re: wealth, there’s no doubt Connecticut takes the cake in this category. To make the top 1% in Connecticut, you’d need to earn at least 950k, whereas in Maryland, it’s only 633k. https://smartasset.com/data-studies/...nt-income-2023

While Maryland may have a slightly higher HH income, Connecticut reigns for per capita income.

Also, comparing NYC vs DC salaries, according to a study by the University of Maryland, for every 50k someone makes in DC, they’d make 55k in NYC. So a 250k salary in DC would be, on average, 275k in NYC.

Connecticut’s flagship suburb is Greenwich, home to rich and a lot of famous Hollywood names. Maryland certainly doesn’t have anything like it.
Connecticut takes peak wealth for sure. MD loses out to per capita as it has a broader wealth spectrum. CT has no low income equivalent to eastern shore or western MD.

Salary without accounting in CoL is kind of arbitrary. There is nothing you can't afford in either region on a 250k vs. 275k salary.

Fair play to Greenwich. CT's wealth is centralized in a way MD's is not. MD's hyper wealthy live in either Baltimore (County)/Hartford Counties or Montgomery County.

Last edited by Joakim3; 03-02-2024 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-02-2024, 11:53 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Re: wealth, there’s no doubt Connecticut takes the cake in this category. To make the top 1% in Connecticut, you’d need to earn at least 950k, whereas in Maryland, it’s only 633k. https://smartasset.com/data-studies/...nt-income-2023

While Maryland may have a slightly higher HH income, Connecticut reigns for per capita income.

Also, comparing NYC vs DC salaries, according to a study by the University of Maryland, for every 50k someone makes in DC, they’d make 55k in NYC. So a 250k salary in DC would be, on average, 275k in NYC.

Connecticut’s flagship suburb is Greenwich, home to rich and a lot of famous Hollywood names. Maryland certainly doesn’t have anything like it.
This is because low key Maryland actually is a "big", or at least above the median size state even though it's tiny, I mean it's top 20 population wise, so per capita numbers do get dragged down when you actually have large urban centers with many low income residents. Which honestly is a bit more impressive as a state overall for Maryland to still rank in the ballpark of CT on per capita income with one of the more blighted major cities in the country as it's flagship. Connecticut has less of a bottom. Maryland now is literally the most racially diverse state in the Eastern US on paper also, so there's not such a large plurality of the same type of people living there by percentage.

Per capita income:
District of Columbia ($84,538)
Connecticut ($79,087)
Massachusetts ($74,967)
New York ($71,440)
New Jersey ($70,979)
California ($66,661)
Maryland ($65,683)
Washington ($64,898)
New Hampshire ($63,880)

Also, Maryland does have a flagship suburb comparable to Greenwich, it's called Potomac. So that's not true. There's even a reality television show based there named after it. Which means Potomac is known for it's flagship wealth.

All of these people have owned, or still own a home in Potomac.

Ted Koppel
Lynda Carter
Sugar Ray Leonard
The Shriver family
Farah Pahlavi, the former empress of Iran
John Glenn
Sylvester Stallone
Mike Tyson
Mitch Rales (billionaire Danaher corp, and Glenstone founder)
J.W. Marriott, Jr.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-02-2024 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-02-2024, 01:27 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
It's interesting the posters to this thread have focused on highways and driving when these 2 states are both similar and rare in being compact, historic, and served by Amtrak's high-speed corridor (Acela) trains, and have robust, statewide, state-run mass transit including regional passenger railroads. Because of this, both Maryland and Connecticut have many walkable towns, cities, and neighborhoods.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:18 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Lou View Post
Overall, Maryland has more climatic, topographical and vegetative variety than Connecticut, which is a result of its more extensive longitude and southerly latitude. On the East Coast, Maryland is where the climate becomes more comfortable, with earlier springs, longer summers and milder winters. If you enjoy boating and/or gardening, then Maryland would probably be the superior option due to a longer “high season.”

Circling back on geography, Maryland is also closer to and better connected with the rest of country than Connecticut/New England. Traffic in Maryland is heavy, especially between Baltimore and Washington, but Maryland has more “escape routes” than Connecticut due to I-70, I-81, I-83 and I-95 (among other roads). It is difficult to believe that, as ancient and prolific as Hartford and Providence are (i.e., state capital cities founded during the early colonial era), there is no interstate highway linking those two cities together as of 2024.
I-84 was supposed to have connected the two, which was why, in the 1970s, I-84 suddenly became I-86 about 10 miles or so east of Hartford.

Rhode Island built a short stretch of what was to have become I-84, but since Connecticut scrapped the highway, it's signed just as US 6, which already connects the two cities. After Connecticut removed I-84 from its plans, I-86 (the former Wilbur Cross Parkway, CT 15) was rebuilt to Interstate standards and rebadged as I-84 to Sturbridge and the Mass. Pike.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:32 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is because low key Maryland actually is a "big", or at least above the median size state even though it's tiny, I mean it's top 20 population wise, so per capita numbers do get dragged down when you actually have large urban centers with many low income residents. Which honestly is a bit more impressive as a state overall for Maryland to still rank in the ballpark of CT on per capita income with one of the more blighted major cities in the country as it's flagship. Connecticut has less of a bottom. Maryland now is literally the most racially diverse state in the Eastern US on paper also, so there's not such a large plurality of the same type of people living there by percentage.

Per capita income:
District of Columbia ($84,538)
Connecticut ($79,087)
Massachusetts ($74,967)
New York ($71,440)
New Jersey ($70,979)
California ($66,661)
Maryland ($65,683)
Washington ($64,898)
New Hampshire ($63,880)

Also, Maryland does have a flagship suburb comparable to Greenwich, it's called Potomac. So that's not true. There's even a reality television show based there named after it. Which means Potomac is known for it's flagship wealth.

All of these people have owned, or still own a home in Potomac.

Ted Koppel
Lynda Carter
Sugar Ray Leonard
The Shriver family
Farah Pahlavi, the former empress of Iran
John Glenn
Sylvester Stallone
Mike Tyson
Mitch Rales (billionaire Danaher corp, and Glenstone founder)
J.W. Marriott, Jr.
Connecticut has less of a bottom? It has some of the poorest, mostly minority and impoverished cities in the country. Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven and Waterbury, to name a few.

I know Potomac. It is *nothing* like Greenwich, which has hundreds (maybe thousands) of celebrity, political and international connections.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:42 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Connecticut has less of a bottom? It has some of the poorest, mostly minority and impoverished cities in the country. Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven and Waterbury, to name a few.
Impoverished in the context of Connecticut? Sure.

Compared to MD, not buying it. Baltimore is the size of those 4 cities combined and probably has more people living below it's poverty line than they do as well and thats before we get to the physical state of the cities.

In the country? You can't be serious.

Quote:
I know Potomac. It is *nothing* like Greenwich, which has hundreds (maybe thousands) of celebrity, political and international connections.
Potomac MD absolutely has hundreds of celebrity, political and international connections. The difference is the average residents have (relatively) less outlandish wealth and are way more low key.

Last edited by Joakim3; 03-02-2024 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-02-2024, 04:22 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Typing this from Maryland. Wow, some parts near DC are so office parky and blander than Vanilla Ice Cream.

However, Maryland also has some amazing towns like Frederick and Annapolis! Love them.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:05 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Impoverished in the context of Connecticut? Sure.

Compared to MD, not buying it. Baltimore is the size of those 4 cities combined and probably has more people living below it's poverty line than they do as well and thats before we get to the physical state of the cities.

In the country? You can't be serious.
Yes, seriously. Hartford is the most impoverished capital in the US. And Bridgeport ranks as the most unequal metro in the country re: wealth gap. So yeah, I’m serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Potomac MD absolutely has hundreds of celebrity, political and international connections. The difference is the average residents have (relatively) less outlandish wealth and are way more low key.
If you’re suggesting Potomac is anything like Greenwich, then you don’t know Greenwich.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:47 AM

16 posts, read 10,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
It's interesting the posters to this thread have focused on highways and driving when these 2 states are both similar and rare in being compact, historic, and served by Amtrak's high-speed corridor (Acela) trains, and have robust, statewide, state-run mass transit including regional passenger railroads. Because of this, both Maryland and Connecticut have many walkable towns, cities, and neighborhoods.
Both Connecticut and Maryland are home to a plethora of wealthy bedroom communities and, as a result, have a nationally, regionally and locally shared reputation as places where people typically live to escape urbanity and the issues often associated with it, while still remaining in relatively close proximity to major centers of commerce and trade. Public transportation plays a part in fostering residential development in far-flung suburbs and exurbs, but still, most people prefer to drive to and from their office/worksite, even in states with robust public transit systems, up to and including Connecticut and Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City