Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better all around city to live in?
Louisville 42 40.00%
Columbus 63 60.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Correct. Maybe 20 years ago Bardstown Road would have been all there was...like High Street is pretty much all there is in Columbus.

Now there is the Frankfort Avenue corridor, aka Clifton and Crescent Hill. And also NuLu, and the development of those nooks and crannies in other neighborhoods (Preston Street in the St Joe part of Germantown, and Germantown in general is the best example).

So things have went well beyond Bardstown Road.

Dayton Sux, your assesment of Louisville is spot on, and as evidenced by your posts, have made several recent vistis and explorations to know that the 1990's early 2000 view of Louisville, even that held by some of its own suburban residents, is no longer relevant. Louisville is a city in a mini boom, in an "indie" kind of way. The rise of UofL, and now Bellarmine and even IUS has "leveled" the playing field between two cities that I believe are now very similar, and that may have not been the case even a decade ago. For those of you who have only done a drive by on I-65, stopped by the neon lights at Fourth Street Live and been to the bat factory, you REALLY cannot speak to the real Louisville of 2013.

Although Columbus has substatially larger suburbs, notable places like Dublin which give it a metro area that is larger, I cannot say Columbus has a single amenity, with the exception of possibly Polaris Place, that Louisville cannot match or surpass. I think they are two evenly matched cities with bright futures, similar historic sizes, good urban cores, and strong and growing University cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:12 PM

225 posts, read 462,213 times
Columbus. FWIW, if I were to live in Kentucky I would pick Lexington over Louisville. I have family in both Lexington and Louisville and have had good times in both cities. I would still take Columbus over both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City