Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

I never said OVERALL. You are taking what I said sort of out of context. I said parts of Chicago are like it. Parts, not all. My mom, all grandparents, uncles, cousins, and countless friends who all grew up in NYC and still live there, have all said the same things about certain areas. I will listen to the people who actually grew up there, but again I never said it was all like it. I said in certain areas. Not most. Other areas are like other cities. Sure, there are certain areas are akin to Detroit but there's a lot of different areas of Chicago that are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM

630 posts, read 994,535 times
NY first, then Chicago and lastly, Miami

Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM

128 posts, read 323,216 times
But is NYC mostly wealthy people? Maybe im a little dumb when it comes to NYC but when visiting there I see alot of wealthy people, not young professionals.. im sure they are in certain areas. In Chicago I seem to see more young professionals, maybe because its a little more affordable to live in Chicago.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy9981 View Post
But is NYC mostly wealthy people? Maybe im a little dumb when it comes to NYC but when visiting there I see alot of wealthy people, not young professionals.. im sure they are in certain areas. In Chicago I seem to see more young professionals, maybe because its a little more affordable to live in Chicago.
It depends on where you are....if you stay in tourist areas of course you're going to see wealthier people. I live in Chicago not far from a bunch of hotels. You go in the summer up just 1.5 blocks and you'll see a constant stream of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc driving around all the time. It's like that in most alpha cities across the world. Think about it a little bit. A city cannot actually function wholly with just an upper class or upper middle class. All classes have to be present for things to function. That's why it's important to actually get outside of the tourist areas to see more of the city.

NYC and Chicago both have a **** load of millionaires. 8.7% of people who live in NYC are millionaires while 7.8% of people who live in Chicago are millionaires (Los Angeles is at 6.7% of people)...though that might be MSA so the numbers would be more like 4.6% for NYC area, 2.7% for Chicago area (2.5% for Los Angeles). In Chicago, between about 2000 and 2010, the number of households making $200,000+ per year increased almost 100%

Both cities and areas are big time economic powers. NUMEROUS fortune 500 companies are headquartered in each metro area. NYC area is 2nd in the world in GDP, while Chicago is 8th. Los Angeles is 3rd, but Seoul and London are right behind it.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-05-2013 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM

Yeah thats good, I realize Chicago has wealthy people as does NYC, I was just curious in NYC where the young professionals are at, since I seem to see alot of wealthy people in NYC, more so then in Chicago...I see young professionals in Chicago in the north side areas but where in NYC are they at? In Manhatten it seems all wealthy people mostly and people in their upper 30's-50s working. I realize NYC has over 8 million people so its not all wealthy people, or upper middle class, there has to be young professionals working there in cetain areas but in parts of Brooklyn it seems to be a forgein country with all the foreigners living there, and like I said in Manhatten its alot of wealthy people, Im looking for people in their upper 20's, early 30's.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 AM

465 posts, read 872,412 times
Quote:
Yeah thats good, I realize Chicago has wealthy people as does NYC, I was just curious in NYC where the young professionals are at, since I seem to see alot of wealthy people in NYC, more so then in Chicago...I see young professionals in Chicago in the north side areas but where in NYC are they at? In Manhatten it seems all wealthy people mostly and people in their upper 30's-50s working. I realize NYC has over 8 million people so its not all wealthy people, or upper middle class, there has to be young professionals working there in cetain areas but in parts of Brooklyn it seems to be a forgein country with all the foreigners living there, and like I said in Manhatten its alot of wealthy people, Im looking for people in their upper 20's, early 30's.
I think you need to visit NYC a bit more, because it doesn't sound like you've explored much.

All the boroughs are very large and diverse. Manhattan is hardly "all wealthy people" and Brooklyn definitely does not feel like a "foreign country" in most parts.

If your general question is "where do young professionals live", the answer would be big parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Jersey waterfront. Probably Manhattan and Brooklyn have the most, and the biggest "youth culture" areas would most likely be Brooklyn (places like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, etc.).

I'm guessing that based on your comments you have only been to far southern Brooklyn, because that's the heaviest immigrant area.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Yeah Manhatten and southern Brooklyn are the only parts I went to.. to a pizza place in southern Brooklyn. It was all Jewish people. I realize there are communities of young professionals and Im sure more then Chicago since NYC is much larger. I just wanted to get some clairification that NYC does indeed have a good amount of young professionals, I seemed to notice young people more in areas of Chicago since it seemed to be more affordable in certain areas of the city then in NYC. Thanks for the list of areas though I'll look into those more and do some comparing to the areas of young professionals in Chicago. Comparing just NYC and Chicago, Im curious to know in which city are the young professionals more happy and able to find work easier? I know that depends alot on the individuals but any personal opinions?

Last edited by sportsguy9981; 03-06-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 AM

I'd say he needs to explore all three cities more IMO. There's a ton of "young professionals" in both NYC and Chicago. Both are economic power houses of the world with growing economies (no, neither as fast growing as Houston or San Jose). Obviously there's more in NYC since it's 3 times larger in population than Chicago, but there's entire neighborhoods where the majority of people you could say are "young professionals" just like in NYC.

I have no idea who's happier but I will tell you there's a better work-life balance in Chicago versus NYC. That doesn't mean you're more or less happy but it's something to consider. How married you want to be to your job. It depends on overall personality too anyway. For some people, Chicago is not that great and for others NYC is great. Both cities offer a ton, but they aren't right for every single person out there. Depending on your profession, you might get more connections in NYC just because there's more of everything there, but if you are in Chicago, nobody is going to downgrade you because of it. Chicago is probably the 2nd largest financial industry in the US and has tons of business stuff from tons of major companies.

IMO it's good to spend a fair amount of time in each city if you can. IMO each city is good, but it depends on what you want in life. If you have the credentials (experience, degree, etc) then I don't think one city is going to be terrible versus the other in the way of job opportunities. Both cities still have an expanding economy and are adding jobs.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah Manhatten and southern Brooklyn are the only parts I went to.. to a pizza place in southern Brooklyn. It was all Jewish people. I realize there are communities of young professionals and Im sure more then Chicago since NYC is much larger.
Southern Brooklyn is very heavily immigrants and Othodox/Hasidic Jews. Northern Brooklyn is very heavily gentrified yuppie/hipster (tons of young professionals and creatives).
Quote:
I just wanted to get some clairification that NYC does indeed have a good amount of young professionals, I seemed to notice young people more in areas of Chicago since it seemed to be more affordable in certain areas of the city then in NYC.
Check out the neighborhoods I mentioned. They are absolutely crawling with young professionals, far moreso than anything in Chicago.
Also take a look at Western Queens (Astoria and Long Island City), and there are still affordable neighborhoods in Manhattan if you go far uptown, or you might get a deal in a prime area if you look hard. There are also tons of professionals in Hoboken and Jersey City, NJ (both one subway stop from Manhattan).

Old 03-06-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'd say he needs to explore all three cities IMO. It sounds like you have the very basic view of the cities but not the overall picture of each.
Yes, agreed. You need to do more research on all three cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City