Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM

335 posts, read 975,124 times

Advertisements

I currently live in central NJ, and I'm looking for a change. I'm sick of the combination of high cost of living, traffic and cold weather here.

Can someone compare the pros and cons of living in San Antonio, TX vs. Houston, TX vs. Orlando, FL vs. Atlanta, GA, with regards to factors such as cost of living, quality of schools, safety, hurricane and flooding risk, diversity of residents and differences in year round humidity?

I am considering the above cities as I am pursuing vacancies within the VA (Veterans Affairs).

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
I currently live in central NJ, and I'm looking for a change. I'm sick of the combination of high cost of living, traffic and cold weather here.

Can someone compare the pros and cons of living in San Antonio, TX vs. Houston, TX vs. Orlando, FL vs. Atlanta, GA, with regards to factors such as cost of living, quality of schools, safety, hurricane and flooding risk, diversity of residents and differences in year round humidity?

I am considering the above cities as I am pursuing vacancies within the VA (Veterans Affairs).

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but jesus brother that's a lot to ask. You could probably look most of those things up such as cost of living and relative humidity.
Diversity is the easy one here though..majority Hispanic, followed by Caucasian, a small percentage of African American and a smattering of "other" (no disrespect intended, just too many to list).

Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Also humidty is a bit of a personal opinion, some say its terrible here, others who have lived in places where it really is terrible say its not that bad. Traffic is going to be bad no matter where you decide to move, every town has "bad" areas

Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 PM

201 posts, read 383,010 times
Houston and Atlanta metro areas are about 3x the size of San Antonio and Orlando. Not familiar with Orlando traffic, but Houston and Atlanta have much worse traffic than San Antonio. San Antonio is the least humid of the four by far - we just have really bad heat. However, if you are in the shade in SA, it's bearable, you won't sweat nearly as much as the other three cities. Low risk of hurricanes in SA.

You will find a lot more diversity in Houston and Atlanta. However, San Antonio has a real sense of community for a larger city and a common feel across the area. It is more than just a bunch of suburbs strung together. It is not uncommon to run into people you know when you are out and about in SA - probably wouldn't happen nearly as much in Atlanta or Houston. Cost of living is pretty similar in both Houston and SA - very low compared to NJ. You will be smiling after you leave the grocery store and spend about 2/3 of what you would spend in NJ. Housing is inexpensive in both SA and Houston.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,040 times
Use the tools and search function on the main part of the CD website[LEFT]

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post

I think this would be best addressed in the cities vs. cities forum.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I think this would be best addressed in the cities vs. cities forum.
Done, Moved... With re-direct for 3 days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City