Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:57 PM

596 posts, read 895,552 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Jersey City, NJ, and I often fantasize about moving to San Francisco (I will someday).

But I'm a little less interested in living in San Francisco itself than living somewhere outside but close. Jersey City is just outside of New York City, and NYC is literally a few minutes train ride or drive away. But because it is outside of NYC, it is less crowded and more affordable (you'll get more space for the same money though not by much), owning a car is not hassle, all of which is what I like about it....although some New Yorkers may look down upon people who live here; I don't care.

Is Oakland like that to San Francisco? The distance between Oakland and San Francisco appears to be a bit larger than the distance between Jersey City and NYC. Do many people commute to San Francisco from Oakland as many people in Jersey City do to NYC?

Jersey City has a bad reputation among New Yorkers (mostly because they have never been here), but its downtown has been gentrified and very safe with lots of stores and restaurants. It is a great alternative to Brooklyn or Queens especially those who work in lower Manhattan. So sometimes Jersey City is referred to as New York's 6th borough (or New York's best kept secret).

Is Oakland (or a part of Oakland) like Jersey City in this sense?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
In some ways they are very identical. Racial diversity, proximity to the 'city', a vibrant downtown etc.

Other than those anecdotal similarities, Oakland is larger and is more independent of SF than JC is of NY.

They are definitely both underrated.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 PM

295 posts, read 461,455 times
To answer one of your questions, yes LOTS of people commute to San Francisco from Oakland they are only 7 miles apart. I would agree with Montclair that Oakland is more independent of San Francisco in a lot of ways. Oakland has its own core of well known businesses that anchor its downtown and its own independent economic circle that operates separately from SF.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Yeah, even with its crime rate, Oakland is still too affluent, too well educated, not poor enough to be Newark or LA or Camden.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM

295 posts, read 461,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
If Oakland is the equivalent of Newark, then is there a city that is equivalent of Jersey City or Hoboken in terms of proximity and state of gentrification?

There aren't that many city in SF proximity, I realize. Berkeley? Daily City? (I'm just looking at the map).
Proximity wise Oakland is the closest. It is just over the bridge and is the largest major city that near to San Francisco. Oakland has a number of different types of areas, downtown has been gentrifying the last ten or so years but the city as a whole has always been fairly balanced in its make up. There are wealthy neighborhoods in the hills and areas near the lake, there are middle class hoods in the slopes and flats and poor hoods in parts of west and deep east Oakland. There are a number of ethnic neighborhoods such as Fruitvaile and Chinatown. The city is remarkably diverse.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
oakland ranks very high on educational attainment.
camden and newark do not.
these cities are not similar.

oakland has 10x the percentage of graduate degrees

Adults with a
Graduate Degree
Oakland 16.4%
Newark 4.0%
Camden 1.6%

Adults with a Bachelor Degree
or Higher

Oakland 37.9%
Newark 14.0%
Camden 6.4%

Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
oakland ranks very high on educational attainment.
camden and newark do not.
these cities are not similar.

Adults with a
Graduate Degree
Oakland 16.4%
Newark 4.0%
Camden 1.6%

Adults with a Bachelor Degree
or Higher

Oakland 37.9%
Newark 14.0%
Camden 6.4%
Now post the actual graduation rates of people from Oakland Unified vs Newark Unified vs Camden Unified.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
Newark is 52% black, Oakland is 28% black. Not really close. Newark has lost 37% of its population from its peak, while Oakland is at or near its peak population. Oakland is bigger, richer and whiter than Newark. Not close.
Yeah Oakland is just too affluent and educated to be down in the same category as Newark, Camden and LA. Jersey City is kinda like Oakland in that upper income urban elite move there, crime stats notwithstanding. People visit and they realize that haters are full of 5hit.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hahahaha...

Sorry but I'll take our crime rate as opposed to your depressed earnings any day of the year.

Yuck.
lol I guess you don't understand that cost of living varies in cities... surprising I know lol

Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol I guess you don't understand that cost of living varies in cities... surprising I know lol
I also find it funny that someone who lives in Oakland would comment about "income" to someone who lives in Lafayette.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...neymag/21.html
Median family income: $149,597
Median home price: $1,050,000

I don't see Oakland on this list....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City