Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 04:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Good post! Also, I would to add that both Hoboken and Jersey City have PATH, which is 24 hour transit into Manhattan. I have not studied transit in Oakland (don't care to) but I doubt Oakland has transit on that level.
Oakland has BART instead. BART has a bit lower frequency, but I think it's still decent. But for both PATH and BART, many don't live in walking distance to the stations.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Oakland has BART instead. BART has a bit lower frequency, but I think it's still decent. But for both PATH and BART, many don't live in walking distance to the stations.
PATH runs 24-hours but I wouldn't say it's more frequent at all. I just kind of glanced at both schedules. Through West Oakland trains run pretty much every 2-7 minutes all day because so many lines go through there. At other stations you have either 2 or 3 lines running though. Even in the middle of the day (12-1p) trains go through the Oakland Coliseum station no more 6 minutes apart. Every single BART line goes through Oakland.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Don't think BART ever had this happen to it:

http://dc.streetsblog.org/wp-content...g_full_600.jpg

and above a NYC station:

http://tiltonfenwick.com/wp-content/...ade-center.jpg

Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
PATH runs 24-hours but I wouldn't say it's more frequent at all. I just kind of glanced at both schedules. Through West Oakland trains run pretty much every 2-7 minutes all day because so many lines go through there. At other stations you have either 2 or 3 lines running though. Even in the middle of the day (12-1p) trains go through the Oakland Coliseum station no more 6 minutes apart. Every single BART line goes through Oakland.
I think BART has a frequency advantage because the lines split to two destinations, one to Lower Manhattan another towards Midtown. Rockridge only has one line.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
I think BART has a frequency advantage because the lines split to two destinations, one to Lower Manhattan another towards Midtown. Rockridge only has one line.
BART is just a more complete system then PATH anyways, I wouldn't try to compare the two.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
Quote:
I disagree 100%.

For people who are not near a path there are options to take them to a PATH station. JC has an efficient light rail, bus system and ferry system.

In JC 8.2% of people walk to work and 46.7 take public transit. This is the second highest percentage of riders on transit for any city above 100,000 people only behind NYC. Yes, JC is even ahead of DC and Chicago for percentage of people who ride transit.

Between all options of PATH, light rail, Hoboken Terminal, several ferry systems, and buses there is no need for a car. A car in JC or Hoboken is a nuisance. 41% of JC citizens do not own a car!

Comparing JC transit to Oakland/Bart is a joke.

I'm done with this thread, everyone have a good day.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I disagree 100%.

For people who are not near a path there are options to take them to a PATH station. JC has an efficient light rail, bus system and ferry system.

In JC 8.2% of people walk to work and 46.7 take public transit. This is the second highest percentage of riders on transit for any city above 100,000 people only behind NYC. Yes, JC is even ahead of DC and Chicago for percentage of people who ride transit.

Between all options of PATH, light rail, Hoboken Terminal, several ferry systems, and buses there is no need for a car. A car in JC or Hoboken is a nuisance. 41% of JC citizens do not own a car!

Comparing JC transit to Oakland/Bart is a joke.

I'm done with this thread, everyone have a good day.
Good post. AC Transit in Oakland is a big fat joke. The amount of gang members riding on the buses alone make it a nuisance unless you're ready to get into a shoot out or brawl.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Why are you dragging L.A. into this Bay Area slap-fest?
sav858 already touched on it. LA is great, home, love it, would die for the place, but this is more of an ongoing thing with a particular forumer that has spilled over from the SF forum.

Sorry to our SoCal friends, pay no mind.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Good post. AC Transit in Oakland is a big fat joke. The amount of gang members riding on the buses alone make it a nuisance unless you're ready to get into a shoot out or brawl.
Rolls eyes. Which bus lines are you riding. I don't see these elusive "gang members" on the buses? They must be rolling in Navigators. I mostly see teeny boppers texting.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Rolls eyes. Which bus lines are you riding. I don't see these elusive "gang members" on the buses? They must be rolling in Navigators. I mostly see teeny boppers texting.
What are you talking about? Some people just got shot up on AC Transit in East Oakland:
Shots Fired into AC Transit Bus in Oakland

The bus driver had to speed away as gang members poured automatic weapons fire into the bus. They had to take a bunch of people to the hospital. Pretty scary stuff.

Of course, no one was caught, and these gang lunatics are still at large killing in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City