Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you travel to in the winter
California 38 30.89%
Florida 73 59.35%
Neither 12 9.76%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
As a Chicago resident, I look forward to winter b/c for me it's traveling season--I'm not gonna miss out of Chicago summertime unless there's a REAL GOOD reason.

Last year, I went to Florida -- and it rained every single day I was there except for one. And then on that sunny day we went on a bike ride and I got bit by a bug in the eyelid. The South Beach night of course it rained -- but I DEF wanna go back there and do it right! And I loved the fusion of Caribbean/Cuban/Haitian/Latin/Creole influenced culture. And I wanna drive and/or passengerize all the way to Key West sometime!

The year before, I went to LA and among other things saw the Tournament of Roses parade -- which I HIGHLY recommend at least as a once in a lifetime experience. The first day in LA, the marine layer rolled in and it was like 63. But then every single day the rest of the trip it was sunny and 80 during the day and about 50-55 at night. Which of course is PERFECT!

This year, I'm planning on going back to Cali -- mainly b/c I love the vibe in Cali; I have a fair amount of friends in Cali, need to hit up San Diego, and have many more things to check off the bucket list in LA. And places to return to like The Abbey, WeHO, SilverLake, and Venice Beach.

Actually, not to hijack this thread but to throw a touch of specificity in it for those inclined, which b/w the two is generally considered a better LGBT winter getaway?

Oh, I voted Cali BTW. But FL did show up and play. If it was a football game it'd be that game where one team was up 30-20, forced the other team to kick a field goal with a minute left, and then recovered the onside kick to win 30-23.
Well thought out, praising both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, there's even been Snow flurries in South Florida, as recent as 2010. But yeah, South Florida is no Hawaii. Having said that, the weather in South Florida is PERFECT in the winter. No humidity, temps in the 60's and 70's, with no rain. Basically the weather that folks hate about Florida, is practically non-existent in the winter.
No humidity in the winter in South Florida?

Currently, at 4:00 AM Eastern Time, the humidity at Miami is 78%.

Currently, at 1:00 AM Pacific Time, the humidity at Los Angeles is only 42%.

The forecast for the daytime humidity for Miami today is 66% and only 16% for Los Angeles.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The point is, the OP wants to get away from the cold. If you are planning a vacation, you can not guarantee it won't be chilly or drizzly in SoCal. If you go to South Florida, there is almost a 99.9% guarantee it will be good warm weather where you can ditch your jackets.

Why would somebody in CA want to plan a winter vacation to escape from the cold, there is nothing to escape from as the weather is already mild, therefore the thread isn't about them.
If I wanted to get away, I would want the most predictability/guarantees possible! And Southern California cannot deliver that! Or even Baja California! There's a reason why so many homes have fireplaces in Southern California, and more necessary in cooler San Diego. A couple years back, an unusual cold spell had temps dipping to near 32 degrees at night!

And, along that coastline at night, yikes! How I feel sorry for those that didn't bring along a winter coat!

I flew my mother and aunt out from Minnesota one winter, in February, neither had ever been to Southern California. One morning, with a brisk wind, out at a beach in San Diego, my Aunt only walked half-way down the pier and excused herself, and walked back to the car. She was freezing! And from Minnesota!

That cool breeze off the ocean at night can have the bite of Pitbull!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 AM

281 posts, read 472,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If I wanted to get away, I would want the most predictability/guarantees possible! And Southern California cannot deliver that! Or even Baja California! There's a reason why so many homes have fireplaces in Southern California, and more necessary in cooler San Diego. A couple years back, an unusual cold spell had temps dipping to near 32 degrees at night!

And, along that coastline at night, yikes! How I feel sorry for those that didn't bring along a winter coat!

I flew my mother and aunt out from Minnesota one winter, in February, neither had ever been to Southern California. One morning, with a brisk wind, out at a beach in San Diego, my Aunt only walked half-way down the pier and excused herself, and walked back to the car. She was freezing! And from Minnesota!

That cool breeze off the ocean at night can have the bite of Pitbull!
I've seen this lame argument before, doesn't mean much, people are individuals just because you come from a cold state doesn't mean you will have thicker skin and vice versa with a warm weather state person.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

The forecast for the daytime humidity for Miami today is 66% and only 16% for Los Angeles.
It isn't winter yet...But indeed into November can still be hot and humid in Florida. I'd save Florida for after the christmas new years holidays. Best time is Jan/Feb.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
As a Chicago resident, I look forward to winter b/c for me it's traveling season--I'm not gonna miss out of Chicago summertime unless there's a REAL GOOD reason.

Last year, I went to Florida -- and it rained every single day I was there except for one. And then on that sunny day we went on a bike ride and I got bit by a bug in the eyelid. The South Beach night of course it rained -- but I DEF wanna go back there and do it right! And I loved the fusion of Caribbean/Cuban/Haitian/Latin/Creole influenced culture. And I wanna drive and/or passengerize all the way to Key West sometime!
Damn, sucks to hear that. It is extremely rare to have several days of rain in the winter like that in Florida. Winter is the dry season here, and most of the time we will not see rain for weeks on end. The summer is a totally different story.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

It's only November 6th.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's only November 6th.
Well, the average afternoon humidity for Miami in January is 60% and for February, 58%.

Not too high but certainly not "no humidity."

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Well, the average afternoon humidity for Miami in January is 60% and for February, 58%.

Not too high but certainly not "no humidity."
You're splitting hairs and being way to literal, I think the point is that it doesn't feel humid.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Sorry, Florida is not going to feel humid in winter except a very rare occasion. Dewpoint/temperature is a better indicator of how a place feels. San Francisco is 64% humidity right now but I guarantee you it doesn't feel sticky.

edit:

Here...

http://weatherspark.com/averages/308...-United-States

Scroll down to dew point...

"There are two periods in the year that are most comfortable: The first is between January 1 and March 21 and the second is between December 10 and December 31. The air feels neither too dry nor too muggy during these periods."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City