Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite choice in this match up?
Atlanta 82 35.65%
Denver 55 23.91%
Seattle 93 40.43%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
First off I've been to Denver and love many things about the city. Haven't been to Seattle yet but still really like the city alot from what I know about it and can't wait to visit.

That being said I hate the predisposition that so many Westerners on City Data have against the South that makes it impossible for them to say anything but negative stuff about Atlanta or any other southern city.

If you could just get around that you might discover that Atlanta is a very beautiful, progressive, diverse city that is only getting better.

Even most North Eastern posters, who can often be smug and arrogant, have positive things to say about it. But hardly ever do I see anything but criticism of the entire South from posters on the West Coast.
It's ignorance, pure and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 05:16 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
My opinion...

shopping - ATLANTA (For my taste)

nightlife - ATLANTA

outdoor activities - DENVER (DENVER ROCKS! Literally.)

interesting neighborhoods - SEATTLE (Definitely love driving around Seattle & seeing their neighborhoods. Much cooler than the competition here).

public transportation - ATLANTA (ONLY because Seattle's lightrail isn't enough to beat Atlanta's train. Seattle has ferries though... Denver's light rail is... ok. I think Atlanta wins by having a heavy train, new light rail and building another light rail).

roads and other infrastructure - DENVER (just seemed like things were better built there.)

professional sports - SEATTLE (Atlanta SUCKS. Both Sea & Den are GREAT sports towns. I think Seattle gets the edge only cause they have a miserable sports history, yet still they support home at a top rated comparable level. They are SERIOUS about their teams, good or bad).

growth prospects - wash (no idea)

most reliable economy - SEATTLE (Just feels like Seattle is on an endless boom.)

foods - ATLANTA (hard one. I love seafood in Seattle. I also LOVE the meats in Denver. BUT, breakfast is my favorite meal, and ATL does it best to me. Denver has Snooze which has the best pancake I've ever had (pineapple upside-down pancake) but that's not enough to compete with the long list of great breakfast spots in ATL: Mary Mac Tea Room, Thumbs Up, Marietta Diner, Buckhead Diner, Bluebird Cafe, Flying Buscuit, Pappadeaux's, even Waffle House & the list goes on...).

ethnic composition - SEATTLE (just feels far more cosmopolitan than the other 2)

airports and travel destinations - ATLANTA (better flights from ATL)

musical acts - ATLANTA (Lots and lots of music. Seattle has it too, but I found more variety & quality in ATL)

downtown activities - SEATTLE (downtown Seattle is cool!)

cultural institutions (museums, theaters, symphonies, operas, art galleries) - SEATTLE

wildlife (zoo's or natural wildlife specific to the area) - hmm... IDK. I'll assume DENVER

stellar suburbs - DENVER (Not a fan of Atlanta's suburbs. Hard one because I love Seattle's suburbs, but also love Denver's )

public schools - DENVER - (just from what I've heard. Def better than ATL tho)

higher education facilities (colleges, universities, so on) - SEATTLE (I guess. Either SeaTac or Denver are better than ATL)

public squares/parks/green space - SEATTLE

cost of living - ATLANTA

location and proximity to interesting areas - DENVER (LOVE the Rockies & desert SW)

extra entertanment option (concerts, raves, scheduled events) - ATLANTA (more frequently on concert tour schedules)

climate, - ATLANTA (I hate snow)

Where would you rather live (long term): That's a hard one... I'll go with... Atlanta.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:34 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
public transportation - ATLANTA (ONLY because Seattle's lightrail isn't enough to beat Atlanta's train. Seattle has ferries though... Denver's light rail is... ok. I think Atlanta wins by having a heavy train, new light rail and building another light rail).

roads and other infrastructure - DENVER (just seemed like things were better built there.)
Dear god, how Seattle needs some major public transit improvements! They are building underground light rail stations for a couple of neighborhoods which will connect to each other with Downtown as the focal point. That being said, King County made significant cuts to many bus routes. As it is, our buses sometimes just skip over bus stops because the buses are overcrowded. Traffic is also atrocious.

Poor Seattle is geographically destined for traffic problems. It's a narrow isthmus with a narrow body of water running through it. Our hills and geography, while beautiful, results in a lot of road congestion. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that public transit will get any better unless Seattle makes some major upgrades (or rework all streets to be one-way which Seattle SHOULD have done years ago since our streets are so narrow and tiny).

Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
My opinion...

higher education facilities (colleges, universities, so on) - SEATTLE (I guess. Either SeaTac or Denver are better than ATL)

I respect your opinion and think you were spot on in many of your observations but I think you missed on this one.

Atlanta may definitely fall sort of the other two in public education but it is champ when it comes to higher education.

Georgia Tech for many years now has been ranked the third best public engineering school in America after Berkley and Stanford. (ranked much higher than the Colorado School of Mines in Denver or University of Washington.)

Emory is consistently ranked in the top 25 of public Universities and is considered by many to be among the Ivy league of public universities.

Nearby University of Georgia (America's first state chartered University) is also ranked above University of Colorado and University of Washington and a leader in the production of Rhode Scholars.

Spelman college has received rewards as a womens college. Many of Morehouse's business graduates are recruited by Wall Street firms and many of it's graduates have gone on to become famous politicians and entertainers (president Obama delivered it's commencement speech last year).

It's also the only one of the three cities that offers anything like the HOPE scholarship (pays full tuition to all Georgia students that maintain a B grade point average).

The rankings I'm referring to are from USA News and are the most popular rankings in America. And in case you have something against them you might wanna know that Colorado School of Mines bragged on it's USA Today Engineering School ranking on it's web site a couple years ago even though it was much lower ranked than Georgia Tech.

Last edited by Galounger; 04-12-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
I don't see how Seattle or Denver beats Atlanta on higher education. Tech and Emory alone destroy both of those cities.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Again, I don't think you CAN rank Denver and Seattle with Atlanta. I think Atlanta is simply on a different tier, and will ultimately appeal to a different type of person. I've never been to Denver, but I have a pretty good idea of what it's like based on tons of people I've worked with who previously lived there, and some family members who have lived there as well. I do think it's more fair to compare Denver and Seattle as they are both pretty much in the West, probably are more culturally similar amongst themselves than they are in comparison to Atlanta as well. Both seem to appeal more to nature loving people than Atlanta does (although Atlanta is no slouch in this area, I do believe Seattle and Denver are on higher tiers when it comes to nature). Seattle and Denver are more for people looking for a slower pace, and many of the transplants who like it there like it because they are different from bigger cities.

With that said, Atlanta is bar none the best choice for a city lover amongst the 3. Atlanta has a long way to go before it's as urban as NYC, Philly, Boston, and DC, but it only fall short amongst metros in the USA. I live in Philly now, and have lived in Atlanta, and Philly is more of a peer to Atlanta, than a place like Seattle is. Again, Atlanta has a far different history, being a transplant city from it's inception. As a result there has, and will always be people from Atlanta who will come from other cities. It is also more of an East Coast city, as majority of it's transplants are it's East Coastal neighbors. Atlanta use to get a lot of lower middle class to working class NYC transplants, and that probably isn't going to change. Atlanta is a cheaper alternative for NorthEasterns who want to start over fresh in a place with a lower cost of living. As a result, this has shaped Atlanta's culture, and it strives to have far more big city amenities. It does fail at some levels, but has a better potential and urgency to be more like it's NorthEastern rivals than Denver or Seattle.

Keep in mind, Atlanta is an urban core city. Seattle is a single core city. Seattle doesn't have nearly as much going on when you leave downtown. Atlanta still remains exciting, and can get even more exciting when you leave the downtown area. This isn't a slight against Seattle, as it has it's bonuses over Atlanta. But Atlanta is the handsdown choice for a big city person amongst the 3.

With that said, Atlanta has a lot of noticable weaknesses over Seattle and Denver. For one are part of it's East Coast roots. While Atlanta is majority a new money city, there is still a lot of old money present. It's a lot more impactful to the city than it would be to Denver or Seattle. So classism is alive and well in Atlanta. Also, while I do think Atlanta is a safe city for those who aren't looking for trouble, Atlanta is not a shielded city like Seattle or Denver. Things do go down in Atlanta, and anyone who lives there will know or needs to be aware. Seattle IMO is a more sheltered and shielded city. It's crime is well contained, and stays in very small parts of town. In Atlanta due to it's multi core nature, crime can spring up anywhere, and the poor people aren't just swept away to so far out part of town. With that said, cop presence is pretty high in Atlanta, and a street smart urban dweller would never be involved in any sort of violence. You don't really need to be street smarts or a city vetern to avoid trouble in Denver or Seattle. It's just simply not there. However keep in mind, Atlanta has similar issues to other major cities in the USA like San Francisco, LA, NYC, Philly, Miami etc. In that crime is a reality for the people in the city, and they need to be smarter in how they carry themselves. But it doesn't give you the same luxuries of Seattle where you're just completely sheltered from it either.

With that said, Denver and Seattle are more niche cities, and really only appeal to certain types of people. Both cities are far less diverse than Atlanta. Atlanta is ethnically diverse but also diverse economically, and even entertainment wise. It's a city that tries to have something for everyone, kind of like NYC. And no I'm not comparing Atlanta to NYC, but it attempts to be an southern NYC alternative. Seattle and Denver really doesn't attempt this burden, and moreso resign themselves as being more regional cities.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Again, I don't think you CAN rank Denver and Seattle with Atlanta. I think Atlanta is simply on a different tier, and will ultimately appeal to a different type of person. I've never been to Denver, but I have a pretty good idea of what it's like based on tons of people I've worked with who previously lived there, and some family members who have lived there as well. I do think it's more fair to compare Denver and Seattle as they are both pretty much in the West, probably are more culturally similar amongst themselves than they are in comparison to Atlanta as well. Both seem to appeal more to nature loving people than Atlanta does (although Atlanta is no slouch in this area, I do believe Seattle and Denver are on higher tiers when it comes to nature). Seattle and Denver are more for people looking for a slower pace, and many of the transplants who like it there like it because they are different from bigger cities.

With that said, Atlanta is bar none the best choice for a city lover amongst the 3. Atlanta has a long way to go before it's as urban as NYC, Philly, Boston, and DC, but it only fall short amongst metros in the USA. I live in Philly now, and have lived in Atlanta, and Philly is more of a peer to Atlanta, than a place like Seattle is. Again, Atlanta has a far different history, being a transplant city from it's inception. As a result there has, and will always be people from Atlanta who will come from other cities. It is also more of an East Coast city, as majority of it's transplants are it's East Coastal neighbors. Atlanta use to get a lot of lower middle class to working class NYC transplants, and that probably isn't going to change. Atlanta is a cheaper alternative for NorthEasterns who want to start over fresh in a place with a lower cost of living. As a result, this has shaped Atlanta's culture, and it strives to have far more big city amenities. It does fail at some levels, but has a better potential and urgency to be more like it's NorthEastern rivals than Denver or Seattle.

Keep in mind, Atlanta is an urban core city. Seattle is a single core city. Seattle doesn't have nearly as much going on when you leave downtown. Atlanta still remains exciting, and can get even more exciting when you leave the downtown area. This isn't a slight against Seattle, as it has it's bonuses over Atlanta. But Atlanta is the handsdown choice for a big city person amongst the 3.

With that said, Atlanta has a lot of noticable weaknesses over Seattle and Denver. For one are part of it's East Coast roots. While Atlanta is majority a new money city, there is still a lot of old money present. It's a lot more impactful to the city than it would be to Denver or Seattle. So classism is alive and well in Atlanta. Also, while I do think Atlanta is a safe city for those who aren't looking for trouble, Atlanta is not a shielded city like Seattle or Denver. Things do go down in Atlanta, and anyone who lives there will know or needs to be aware. Seattle IMO is a more sheltered and shielded city. It's crime is well contained, and stays in very small parts of town. In Atlanta due to it's multi core nature, crime can spring up anywhere, and the poor people aren't just swept away to so far out part of town. With that said, cop presence is pretty high in Atlanta, and a street smart urban dweller would never be involved in any sort of violence. You don't really need to be street smarts or a city vetern to avoid trouble in Denver or Seattle. It's just simply not there. However keep in mind, Atlanta has similar issues to other major cities in the USA like San Francisco, LA, NYC, Philly, Miami etc. In that crime is a reality for the people in the city, and they need to be smarter in how they carry themselves. But it doesn't give you the same luxuries of Seattle where you're just completely sheltered from it either.

With that said, Denver and Seattle are more niche cities, and really only appeal to certain types of people. Both cities are far less diverse than Atlanta. Atlanta is ethnically diverse but also diverse economically, and even entertainment wise. It's a city that tries to have something for everyone, kind of like NYC. And no I'm not comparing Atlanta to NYC, but it attempts to be an southern NYC alternative. Seattle and Denver really doesn't attempt this burden, and moreso resign themselves as being more regional cities.
Good post. I agree.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:16 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
My opinion...

shopping - ATLANTA (For my taste)

nightlife - ATLANTA

outdoor activities - DENVER (DENVER ROCKS! Literally.)

interesting neighborhoods - SEATTLE (Definitely love driving around Seattle & seeing their neighborhoods. Much cooler than the competition here).

professional sports - SEATTLE (Atlanta SUCKS. Both Sea & Den are GREAT sports towns. I think Seattle gets the edge only cause they have a miserable sports history, yet still they support home at a top rated comparable level. They are SERIOUS about their teams, good or bad).

growth prospects - wash (no idea)

most reliable economy - SEATTLE (Just feels like Seattle is on an endless boom.)

foods - ATLANTA (hard one. I love seafood in Seattle. I also LOVE the meats in Denver. BUT, breakfast is my favorite meal, and ATL does it best to me. Denver has Snooze which has the best pancake I've ever had (pineapple upside-down pancake) but that's not enough to compete with the long list of great breakfast spots in ATL: Mary Mac Tea Room, Thumbs Up, Marietta Diner, Buckhead Diner, Bluebird Cafe, Flying Buscuit, Pappadeaux's, even Waffle House & the list goes on...).

ethnic composition - SEATTLE (just feels far more cosmopolitan than the other 2)

airports and travel destinations - ATLANTA (better flights from ATL)

musical acts - ATLANTA (Lots and lots of music. Seattle has it too, but I found more variety & quality in ATL)

downtown activities - SEATTLE (downtown Seattle is cool!)

cultural institutions (museums, theaters, symphonies, operas, art galleries) - SEATTLE

wildlife (zoo's or natural wildlife specific to the area) - hmm... IDK. I'll assume DENVER

stellar suburbs - DENVER (Not a fan of Atlanta's suburbs. Hard one because I love Seattle's suburbs, but also love Denver's )

public schools - DENVER - (just from what I've heard. Def better than ATL tho)

public squares/parks/green space - SEATTLE

cost of living - ATLANTA

location and proximity to interesting areas - DENVER (LOVE the Rockies & desert SW)

extra entertanment option (concerts, raves, scheduled events) - ATLANTA (more frequently on concert tour schedules)

climate, - ATLANTA (I hate snow)

Where would you rather live (long term): That's a hard one... I'll go with... Atlanta.
My only main disagreement is how Atlanta comes in last for higher education?Especially when it has sheer mumber of colleges,students and number of ranked schools.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

Niche cities? Only appealing to certain people? A tier above? Come on now. Are you serious? Seattle as well as Denver appeal to ALL people just as much as Atlanta. You can enjoy Seattle and Denver' s city offers without doing any of the nature stuff. Many do. And where does Atlanta offer more in big city amenities? Seattle might not have skyscraper clusters around the city other than downtown but it does offer dense walkble, interesting neighborhoods across the city. It also offers miles of shoreline which 'big city' people love too.
I'll admit native Seattleites are naive to big city crime but many of us like myself were and are transplants from all across North America and are quite aware of what big city crime is.

Atlanta has many more suburbs than the other two but for city offerings it to me seems the smallest and its layout less of a big city feel imo.. Atlanta is not a bad city by any means but I honestly don't see its 'big city' advantages over the other two.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Seattle has a denser core. No doubt about that. I think people overrate Denver's core though. I don't see anything special about it...

Seattle > Atlanta > Denver for urban core IMHO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City