Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite choice in this match up?
Atlanta 82 35.65%
Denver 55 23.91%
Seattle 93 40.43%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:11 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times

Advertisements

In terms of where I would rather live.

1.Atlanta
2.Seattle
3.Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 PM

215 posts, read 378,845 times
Seattle wins for me, followed closely by Denver. A gap the size of the grand canyon would be in between Denver and Atlanta. Atlanta is not tolerable.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:29 PM

341 posts, read 708,401 times
I actually live in Atlanta now but am a native of SoCa (southern CA). I've considered a move to Seattle in the past, I like everything about it except the CA-like priced real estate, gloomy dreary weather majority of the year, year after year after year...., and though I havent personally experienced it, the so called 'Seattle freeze'. Now Denver has always had a certain appeal to me but passed on it mainly because I'm not too familiar with it and didn't like the idea of fairly cold temps (ie. snow) as early as September and late as May.
Well things change. Denver seems to offer the most of the three IMO. And the pros outweigh the cons. No offense to all y'all southerners but what was I thinking moving from the Left coast to the dirty deep south!? I need's to head back West where they don't talk funny. :]

Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Seattle for me is just a great city to visit.Living there is just not for me.Not enough cultural things that appeal to me.
Too far from the Eastcoast

Denver is better.I lived there for a short minute and found it nice but way too cold.It feels more regional than international like Atlanta or Seattle feel.
Not a bad thing,just different than what I'm used too.

Atlanta is the place I like the best.Weather is tolerable,people are friendly,cost of living is relatively manageable,and something is always going on.Plenty to do.

Its just a beautiful city with lots trees that blossom like dogwoods and the hills and curves lend to a nice backdrop in some beautiful neighborhoods.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Atlanta for me...

Old 03-31-2014, 04:57 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Atlanta is beautiful, has so much going for it, and culturally is a wonderful place. It's not the "sprawlville" it's made out to be unless you choose to live way out in the boonies.

I realize alot of people on city data are always going to favor Seattle and Denver for various reasons. I've been to Denver and it's nice but could never take the place of Atlanta for me.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta is beautiful, has so much going for it, and culturally is a wonderful place. It's not the "sprawlville" it's made out to be unless you choose to live way out in the boonies.

I realize alot of people on city data are always going to favor Seattle and Denver for various reasons. I've been to Denver and it's nice but could never take the place of Atlanta for me.
Thats because there opinions are not based on reality.Reality is that no matter how much Atlanta may "sprawl" ,there is a a thriving city core that is densifying and improving daily.

Atlanta is like a puzzle that is almost done just so that you can make out what it is but sone missing peiecs makes it look a little incomplete.

I like puzzles.It makes me never loose interest.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Seattle
Atlanta

Denver

Old 04-01-2014, 01:25 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle has the most Zoo's and wildlife Parks three major and several small. Seattle is close to three national parks. Seattle is the more urban city of the three more population downtown , More hotel rooms downtown , More office space downtown. Seattle metro does have the worlds largest car museum, One of the largest air and space museums in the world. Seattle's waterfront is being rebuilt with an expanded Pike Place Market, And a Aquarium trippled in size. The new Seattle Great Wheel opened already last year a 20 story ferris wheel on the waterfront. Seattle is the largest cruise port on the West Coast. Seattle's downtown is still gaining department stores retail is strong and thriving downtown. And downtown Seattle is the fastest growing area in the metro . With 21,000 new apartments being built downtown 7,000 a year opening the next three years . Seattle is outpacing all the the other cities in the nation except New York in office space absorbtion. Seattle's second street car line opens next year and another partialy funded. Seattle has one light rail line and two other under construction. Light rail in Seattle will work as a subway with the lines underground. In Seattle you have to make time to see all the new museums Seattle's Museum scene is hot with new glass museums , History Museums, Asian Museums Still have not seen the new glass museum at Seattle Center. The Bruce Lee Family has started raising money for the new Bruce Lee Action Museum in Seattle. The New Mohai Museum is beautifull on Seattle's other waterfront South Lake Union. Downtown Seattle has two waterfronts Puget Sound and South lake Union. Westlake Center Downtowns other mall has started remodeling. It added Nordstrom's Rack's flagship store last year and know is adding the largest Zara store in the usa well the same size as NY Zara.
Seattle is a great place. I love it, but.....

Atlanta has one of the largest groupings of hotels in the country. It is a huge convention city. By a large margin... Orlando, Las Vegas, and Chicago are the 3 cities that beat out Atlanta.

A huge chunk of Atlanta's downtown is dedicated to convention centers, trade marts, and convention hotels.

Atlanta has more office space in it's downtown. The city has more office space in it than Seattle as a city. The suburbs have much more. It's simply a bigger city. Don't over claim. It is nothing bad for Seattle.

Absorption. There are many cities with more absorption in 2013, including Atlanta and Denver. Seattle has 1.3 million sq ft. Atlanta has 2.7, and Denver had 1.3 as well. There are at least a dozen cities in the US that had more absorption than Seattle.

The big one was Dallas and Houston with 4 million+ and 3 million. I know Charlotte, Jacksonville, Boise, Boston, NYC, San Francisco, and many others beat out Seattle. Also keep in mind larger cities tend to be more multi-core and depend on their suburbs heavily for office space too.

This doesn't make Seattle less great, but that was a VERY lofty claim. If anyone wants to dig and add up all the numbers: http://www.colliers.com/-/media/File...Q4_FINAL_03_04

Light Rail.

This claim that keeps coming up that the light rail is all underground or elevated or similar to MARTA is incorrect.

Seattle did a wonderful job with their downtown transit tunnel. I love the bus access, the express buses, and high frequency routes. They are wonderful. However a large portion of the light rail line is in MLK in the median on the ground with no grade separation, no crossing guards, etc.. It has to be slow enough to stop for cars, and has to stop for traffic lights.

There is a short tunnel in the north Beacon Hill neighborhood and the downtown transit tunnel.

MARTA is completely grade separated, high capacity, and very efficient. I recommend you try it sometime. I love what Seattle has done for their buses though. I wish Atlanta had a bus tunnel. We don't do much to speed our buses up, except for our regional express buses (GRTA; not marta), which operation in HOV lanes.

Much of the rest of that post are just simple facts. Be careful some of those hold true for the other cities as well.

Those corrections aside I like all 3 of these cities!

Old 04-01-2014, 03:19 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Seattle is a great place. I love it, but.....

Atlanta has one of the largest groupings of hotels in the country. It is a huge convention city. By a large margin... Orlando, Las Vegas, and Chicago are the 3 cities that beat out Atlanta.

A huge chunk of Atlanta's downtown is dedicated to convention centers, trade marts, and convention hotels.

Atlanta has more office space in it's downtown. The city has more office space in it than Seattle as a city. The suburbs have much more. It's simply a bigger city. Don't over claim. It is nothing bad for Seattle.

Absorption. There are many cities with more absorption in 2013, including Atlanta and Denver. Seattle has 1.3 million sq ft. Atlanta has 2.7, and Denver had 1.3 as well. There are at least a dozen cities in the US that had more absorption than Seattle.

The big one was Dallas and Houston with 4 million+ and 3 million. I know Charlotte, Jacksonville, Boise, Boston, NYC, San Francisco, and many others beat out Seattle. Also keep in mind larger cities tend to be more multi-core and depend on their suburbs heavily for office space too.

This doesn't make Seattle less great, but that was a VERY lofty claim. If anyone wants to dig and add up all the numbers: http://www.colliers.com/-/media/File...Q4_FINAL_03_04

Light Rail.

This claim that keeps coming up that the light rail is all underground or elevated or similar to MARTA is incorrect.

Seattle did a wonderful job with their downtown transit tunnel. I love the bus access, the express buses, and high frequency routes. They are wonderful. However a large portion of the light rail line is in MLK in the median on the ground with no grade separation, no crossing guards, etc.. It has to be slow enough to stop for cars, and has to stop for traffic lights.

There is a short tunnel in the north Beacon Hill neighborhood and the downtown transit tunnel.

MARTA is completely grade separated, high capacity, and very efficient. I recommend you try it sometime. I love what Seattle has done for their buses though. I wish Atlanta had a bus tunnel. We don't do much to speed our buses up, except for our regional express buses (GRTA; not marta), which operation in HOV lanes.

Much of the rest of that post are just simple facts. Be careful some of those hold true for the other cities as well.

Those corrections aside I like all 3 of these cities!
So downtown Seattle has 43.5 million square ft of office space downtown and Atlanta downtown has 22 million , Also Seattle has 15,000 + hotel rooms downtown Atlanta has 13,000. ????? And yes there is crossing guards through rainervally and lights north of downtown the Unversity Link will all be underground. Seattle has 58 miles of light rail funded and a large portion will be underground . The tunnel in Seattle wont have buses iin the tunnel next year when the open the next rail line . Oh by the way Seattle downtown absorbed 1,115,000 squre ft of office space downtown in 2013. Atlanta absorbed 62,000 square ft in the same period For the last three years Seattle has been adding several new office towers . Downtown Dallas absorbed 267,000 square ft of ofice space in 2013 ???? Did you just go make up numbers . Amazon is adding over a million square ft of space a year downtown The Pugetsound Business Journal reported Seattle has the best office market in Nation . And lol Boise you realize its smaller than Bellevue. Im not sure if you where trying to be funny with your oulandish claims or where just being a smart ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City