Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Pasadena, Glendale, Long Beach, Burbank, Century City, Santa Monica, etc.

Oakland, San Jose, San Mateo, etc.
Those are not edge cities. The term edge city was coined because of D.C. We started it largely because of the office space overflow from downtown D.C.

Edge City : Life On The New Frontier Paperback - About.com
Edge City - An Overview of Edge Cities

Rules for being an edge city:

1. The area must have more than five million square feet of office space (about the space of a good-sized downtown)
2. The place must include over 600,000 square feet of retail space (the size of a large regional shopping mall)
3. The population must rise every morning and drop every afternoon (i.e., there are more jobs than homes)
4. The place is known as a single end destination (the place "has it all;" entertainment, shopping, recreation, etc.) 5. The area must not have been anything like a "city" 30 years ago (cow pastures would have been nice)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are you kidding? Could you please present the edge cities you are talking about? I have never seen anything like Arlington, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, Bethesda, or Silver Spring outside of the D.C. area. Urban CBD's in their own right. New York has Jersey City and Boston has Cambridge, but that's about it and only one for each.
What exactly is unique about them? I'm honestly asking and considering how adamant you are about them being unique I think it would be a fairly easy question to answer.

Also I am really curious to what office demand in DC was like in the 1970's and 1980's, you keep avoiding that question. Didn't there used to be a lot more parking lots and empty lots back then in DC? I question how much this supposed demand for office space actually pushed growth out to the suburbs. You always talk about how DC has all this land available for infill but if there has been so much "demand" why wasn't it infilled back then?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Those are not edge cities. The term edge city was coined because of D.C. We started it largely because of the office space overflow from downtown D.C.

Edge City : Life On The New Frontier Paperback - About.com
Edge City - An Overview of Edge Cities

Rules for being an edge city:

1. The area must have more than five million square feet of office space (about the space of a good-sized downtown)
2. The place must include over 600,000 square feet of retail space (the size of a large regional shopping mall)
3. The population must rise every morning and drop every afternoon (i.e., there are more jobs than homes)
4. The place is known as a single end destination (the place "has it all;" entertainment, shopping, recreation, etc.) 5. The area must not have been anything like a "city" 30 years ago (cow pastures would have been nice)
"Garreau identified 123 places in a chapter of his book called "The List" as being true edge cities and 83 up-and-coming or planned edge cities around the country. "The List" included two dozen edge cities or those in progress in greater Los Angeles alone, 23 in metro Washington, D.C., and 21 in greater New York City"

By your own link you show that edge cities aren't unique to DC at all.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Could you please present the edge cities you are talking about? I have never seen anything like Arlington, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, Bethesda, or Silver Spring outside of the D.C. area. Urban CBD's in their own right. New York has Jersey City and Boston has Cambridge, but that's about it and only one for each.
White Plains NY, Medical Center in Houston (techically in the city but more like the DC set up in many ways). Parts of the Bay area resemble this a bit. LA does a lot as well. Bellvue WA. Think Denver has aspects etc

Also part of why Bethesda and SS came to what they are now (and Ballston and Arlington too) was because they were outside city and developed at a time (white flight) when that was desireable

DC had some of the worst white flight of any city actually

It today atracts younger educated folks (less likely to have children) seeking a certain living lifestyle which today is en vogue - trends change

DC in all actuality is not that different from nearly anyplace in this regard in all honesty

Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
"Garreau identified 123 places in a chapter of his book called "The List" as being true edge cities and 83 up-and-coming or planned edge cities around the country. "The List" included two dozen edge cities or those in progress in greater Los Angeles alone, 23 in metro Washington, D.C., and 21 in greater New York City"

Thank you.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
My point is African's American's would probably have not have made up such a huge part of the city to begin with because the population would have been higher in the city. There would have been more high-rises and higher density. There are so many things that height restriction's effected we might as well not even go into it. Everything we know and think about D.C. would be different. This is a this would change because of this, because of this, because of this, because of this, problem. We can't even begin to talk about it because it changes everything about the region.
On this we just will have to agree to disagree

Today DC has black flight to Prince George County or as they say of this section PG county

Old 04-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No Tysons developed because it is the junction of highways like 495 not the opposite the Buidling came after the roads you have it totally backward

And on Manhattan, absolutely there is a draw for certain things, NYC is probably more the anaomaly than is DC in many ways yet it also huge edge cities and commerce centers - oddly enough centered on Highways and intersections of such highways - MetroPark for example is at the junctures of bascially the Turnpike/GSP/287 Or a place like Parsippany at 22/287/81/281 or Bridgewater at 287/78/202 I can on and on here

Lastly DC would maybe just be more compressed or a smaller footprint, I am seriously doubtful the city would be much more if any population developed. So the core would more resemble maybe the loop - impressive in thepry but still not fostering this demand you speak of. Maybe busier Metro stations in this core

Do you really think the height restrictions have significantly held back DC in any way but taller buildings. It actually may be less gentrified if it were more clustered.

Hosuton and Atlanta and DFW have many edge cities too. DC has more because the Govt complex was draw nothing more or less but I in no way believe had there been less heigth restrictions the number of edge cities would materially different in DC

It seemd like you somehow extraploate trends from the last 15 years to decades and decades prior

Would NASA be in DT, the CIA etc. even the Pentago - I think not

What did you graduate in? I ask because people with PHD's in urban economics and urban planning don't agree with you. What do you do for a living? The mere fact that I am arguing with someone on city-data about a topic that has been studied and published by many is pretty amusing. These aren't even my words. Take that up with Harvard/Stanford/MIT etc. etc. etc. etc.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

You may want to find out when those developing edge cities appeared. D.C.'s have been around for decades. They say Tyson's Corner was the first in the country. As I said, we started it. Sure, everyone is doing it now, but we were the first. We coined it and even gave it a name.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Hosuton and Atlanta and DFW have many edge cities too. DC has more because the Govt complex was draw nothing more or less but I in no way believe had there been less heigth restrictions the number of edge cities would materially different in DC
Dallas-Fort Worth doesn't have any edge cities, Atlanta and Houston do.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
White Plains NY, Medical Center in Houston (techically in the city but more like the DC set up in many ways). Parts of the Bay area resemble this a bit. LA does a lot as well. Bellvue WA. Think Denver has aspects etc

Also part of why Bethesda and SS came to what they are now (and Ballston and Arlington too) was because they were outside city and developed at a time (white flight) when that was desireable

DC had some of the worst white flight of any city actually

It today atracts younger educated folks (less likely to have children) seeking a certain living lifestyle which today is en vogue - trends change

DC in all actuality is not that different from nearly anyplace in this regard in all honesty

You may want to read this.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/department...ion_060107.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City