Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And here we go again, this is not about 50 story buildings. This is about 10-12 story buildings that would have greatly increased the density in the city. This is about redevelopment which would have happened like it did in every other city as towers replaces older low rise buildings. Try to use your imagination for a second. It's kind of a requirement when trying to imagine these things. You can't use your logic because it's not really logical. You are trying to guess the unseen.

By the way, what are the street widths of those real world examples?
Odd, Boston managed to be dense enough for a subway with buildings under 10 stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Since you think Alexandria is an edge city
Yeah, I think he may be confused with Arlington, Alexandria is definitely not an edge city (parts of Arlington are). Now if we're talking about a super awesome suburb, then that's another story.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
See my answer to that above. Parking is needed when there is a lack of mass transit. When a subway is present, which as I said would have most likely been built in D.C. because the density would have warranted it, you don't need parking lots. Again I say, because your mind doesn't seem to allow you to break the box you are seeing this in, you can't even think innovatively about how density changes things. There would be no metro, D.C. would have most likely had an urban subway 100 years ago in the city itself like Boston and Philly.
So again Boston and Philly are by no means skyscraper cities and have had subways a long time

Why would the Density of DC have been greater in 1920, 1940, 1970 etc if this were the case? Please explain where this said demand would have come from

Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure why you think DC would have been any denser back then than it was. And please try to think outside of this "high rises are needed for density" box you seem to be stuck in.

A highrise is any building 8 stories or taller. Any other area with high density probably has tight streets. D.C. can't have tight streets because of the height restriction's.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Odd, Boston managed to be dense enough for a subway with buildings under 10 stories.

Have you been missing the part about street width? One of the many casualties of having height restrictions.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Have you been missing the part about street width? One of the many casualties of having height restrictions.

Wasnt the street width part of the original DC plan and had zero to do with highrises at the time

and in DC these street are really not all that wide (especially the residential ones) - albeit wider than say a Boston or Philly but still dont buy this as the reason

The reason was demand and then there was no where even remotely close to the demand in DC today. MD I think you only see what has happend very recently and fail to realize how bad DC was not too long ago and hoe many area were just flat out undesireable. Skyscraper would not have changed this dynamic nor places like Rockville or Tysons

Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So again Boston and Philly are by no means skyscraper cities and have had subways a long time

Why would the Density of DC have been greater in 1920, 1940, 1970 etc if this were the case? Please explain where this said demand would have come from

Well for one, Boston and Philadelphia were around about 200 years before D.C. They built subway's the same time everyone else was building them even though they had been around and established for a long time. It was an urban rite of passage. D.C. would have been no different except the city sprawled because of the height restrictions. The city would have built a subway as it began to grow because more growth would have been in the city in the early 1900's.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Wasnt the street width part of the original DC plan and had zero to do with highrises at the time

and in DC these street are really not all that wide (especially the residential ones) - albeit wider than say a Boston or Philly but still dont buy this as the reason

The reason was demand and then there was no where even remotely close to the demand in DC today. MD I think you only see what has happend very recently and fail to realize how bad DC was not too long ago and hoe many area were just flat out undesireable. Skyscraper would not have changed this dynamic nor places like Rockville or Tysons

The L’Enfant plan is only south of Florida Ave. And I don't believe there would be places like Rockville and Tyson's Corner as they are today. I believe most of the office space in the city would be closer to the city.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Yeah, I think he may be confused with Arlington, Alexandria is definitely not an edge city (parts of Arlington are). Now if we're talking about a super awesome suburb, then that's another story.
I was just going off the list that poster used about two pages ago.

Quote:
Are you kidding? Could you please present the edge cities you are talking about? I have never seen anything like Arlington, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, Bethesda, or Silver Spring outside of the D.C. area. Urban CBD's in their own right. Many are popping up now, but we have had them for decades.
Dude jumps back and forth between ideas so often that he ends up making everyone else look stupid.

Quote:
Since you think Alexandria is an edge city, it seems you do not know what an edge city is. Do the cities you listed meet the following criteria?

1. The area must have more than five million square feet of office space (about the space of a good-sized downtown)
2. The place must include over 600,000 square feet of retail space (the size of a large regional shopping mall)
3. The population must rise every morning and drop every afternoon (i.e., there are more jobs than homes)
4. The place is known as a single end destination (the place "has it all;" entertainment, shopping, recreation, etc.)
5. The area must not have been anything like a "city" 30 years ago (cow pastures would have been nice)
As far as the LA-area edge cities....

Quote:
"Garreau identified 123 places in a chapter of his book called "The List" as being true edge cities and 83 up-and-coming or planned edge cities around the country. "The List" included two dozen edge cities or those in progress in greater Los Angeles alone, 23 in metro Washington, D.C., and 21 in greater New York City"
By the author that MDALLSTAR made a point of referencing, Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, Long Beach, etc. are edge cities. The same guy that wrote those rules he posted. By that logic, methinks they count as edge cities.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I was just going off the list that poster used about two pages ago.
I agree!

This is reminiscent of an edge city: North Royal Street, Alexandria, VA - Google Maps

All jokes aside though, nah, Alexandria is no edge city. If there were a thing as an "edge suburb" then yeah, sure, definitely fits the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City