Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

It's hard to get creative with a 12-13 story office box. I think DT DC is uninspiring to some degree from a commercial architectural standpoint. But a lot of the new condos and apartment buildings look really nice. Keep in mind that DT DC has arguably more iconic structures than any city in N.A. Capitol, Monument, White House, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It's hard to get creative with a 12-13 story office box. I think DT DC is uninspiring to some degree from a commercial architectural standpoint. But a lot of the new condos and apartment buildings look really nice. Keep in mind that DT DC has arguably more iconic structures than any city in N.A. Capitol, Monument, White House, etc....
First, the Capitol is not "Downtown." It's Capitol Hill. People call it that for a reason.

Second, it's not "arguable" that Downtown DC, or DC as a whole, has more iconic structures than Manhattan.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
First, the Capitol is not "Downtown." It's Capitol Hill. People call it that for a reason.

Second, it's not "arguable" that Downtown DC, or DC as a whole, has more iconic structures than Manhattan.
The western plaza of the Capitol is DT DC (where Constitution Ave, Pennsylvania Ave and Independence Ave converge). Secondly, DT DC can give Manhattan a run for its money with iconic structures that are recognized around the world. Here are some more. Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial. I just gave you five quick ones.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
older 12-13 story office buildings can be interesting.

may not be offices but could be interesting:

an old building (now condos) in the center of the city:

I'm guessing most of these view might be able to pass for Philadelphia, with the exception of the iconic building in the last photo.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, downtown DC buildings don't look like the suburbs for one. They don't look like anywhere really. Also, the retail in downtown DC is not an issue. When was the last time you were in DC? The amount of chef driven restaurants in the city is at an All-Time high. I'm sure you will be reading about it soon. Also, shopping is making a huge comeback in DC right now. I guess you will have to wait and see.
Of course it doesn't look like suburbs. That's not what I was trying to say.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
For me it isn't a matter of New vs. Old, it is all about design. Many new buildings (in all cities, not just DC) are very uninspiring, and once they age they will no longer have the "new" to fall back on. Not that all older buildings are great either, there are many ugly buildings that were built many decades ago that I wouldn't mind seeing torn down. The ideal scenario for me is a mixture of old and new.
Yea, pretty much. They already look like ass now, just imagine how stupid they'll look in two decades or so. Given how much beautiful architecture there is in DC, I can't believe people are cheerleading such terrible crap being put up. There's going to be demand for development anyhow--why not at least put some semblance of effort into the design?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I'm guessing most of these view might be able to pass for Philadelphia, with the exception of the iconic building in the last photo.
Yes in many there are similarities with these.

Here are some smaller building that are not so bad, some office, some residential, some retail, and some mixed

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

And some Bad

Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

None of those are new buildings, DC has hundreds of beautiful old buildings, I think DC's Finest point (and my initial point since I brought up design), is that there are not many NEW buildings that have all that interesting of designs; much of this is because of the height restriction in DC, and much of it is profit margins for builders/developers (applies to almost all cities).

Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I kinda like that building though..

Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Which is the whole point. It's nearly three times the size, has huge abandoned areas, and still higher density than DC. And that density extends well into the suburbs, which isn't generally the case for DC.
Alrington & Alexandria, which contain a combined population of around 350K and are on the opposite side of the potomac are at around 8-9K in population density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City