Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,735 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have narrowed my relocation options down to several U.S. cities. First, a little bit about myself. I am a 25 year old caucasian male of Irish/Polish heritage, presently finishing my final year of law school. My undergraduate background is in Criminal Justice. My career will involve a middle class salary working for the state. Therefore, my list is centered around lower costs of living as well as a cooler climate. I simply am accustomed to colder weather (raised in Buffalo, NY) and I can't tolerate extremely warm/hot areas. If cost of living were not an issue I would be moving to Northern VA near D.C. as I love it there. However, that just does not seem realistic as I would like a house and a family eventually.

The most important thing to me right now I would have to say is the dating scene. I like bars/casual lounges and do not do the club scene. I have lived in some cities where the women will approach me (Grand Rapids, MI and Indianapolis, IN) and some cities where I didn't seem to exist (St. Pete, FL and Huntington, WV). So, the quality of the girls/people is of utmost importance. I think people carry themselves in their own unique way wherever I have been. The more outgoing, friendly, less cliquey/snobby the better.

I also love hockey, football and live music. A city with a quality sports/music scene is important. Sports and music are a great thing to enjoy with friends and family.

My list has been narrowed down to the following cities. I have ranked them in the order of what seems the best on paper in what I a'm looking for. The only larger, cooler, affordable U.S. cities I tossed out really were in Ohio and Pittsburgh. I'm sorry I just don't like either as they are too close to Appalachia for my liking. Any insight and rankings of these cities from you all would be much appreciated.

1. MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL-concerns...I have read a lot of accusations that people tend to be aloof. I have read that non swede/norwegians are treated as outsiders.

2. DENVER-concerns...high hipster pot head population I have been told...I have also been told by a few people that the girls are manly and do not do themselves up at all. The Menver label is also concerning. I have also been told that my hair will look bad all the time due to the the dry climate.

3. MANCHESTER, NH-an hour from Boston sounds amazing but is it too expensive?

4. INDIANAPOLIS-I have been to Indy, a very under rated city. I was very impressed.

5. GRAND RAPIDS, MI-I have lived here as well. A wonderful place to live but on the small side.

6. NASHVILLE-concerns-can a Yankee fit in or be accepted here?

7. Charlotte-concerns-can a Yankee fit in or be accepted here?

8. Raleigh-concerns-can a Yankee fit in or be accepted here?

9. MILWAUKEE-concerns-I've been told its boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin25 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have narrowed my relocation options down to several U.S. cities. First, a little bit about myself. I am a 25 year old caucasian male of Irish/Polish heritage, presently finishing my final year of law school. My undergraduate background is in Criminal Justice. My career will involve a middle class salary working for the state. Therefore, my list is centered around lower costs of living as well as a cooler climate. I simply am accustomed to colder weather (raised in Buffalo, NY) and I can't tolerate extremely warm/hot areas. If cost of living were not an issue I would be moving to Northern VA near D.C. as I love it there. However, that just does not seem realistic as I would like a house and a family eventually.

The most important thing to me right now I would have to say is the dating scene. I like bars/casual lounges and do not do the club scene. I have lived in some cities where the women will approach me (Grand Rapids, MI and Indianapolis, IN) and some cities where I didn't seem to exist (St. Pete, FL and Huntington, WV). So, the quality of the girls/people is of utmost importance. I think people carry themselves in their own unique way wherever I have been. The more outgoing, friendly, less cliquey/snobby the better.

I also love hockey, football and live music. A city with a quality sports/music scene is important. Sports and music are a great thing to enjoy with friends and family.

My list has been narrowed down to the following cities. I have ranked them in the order of what seems the best on paper in what I a'm looking for. The only larger, cooler, affordable U.S. cities I tossed out really were in Ohio and Pittsburgh. I'm sorry I just don't like either as they are too close to Appalachia for my liking. Any insight and rankings of these cities from you all would be much appreciated.

1. MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL-concerns...I have read a lot of accusations that people tend to be aloof. I have read that non swede/norwegians are treated as outsiders.

2. DENVER-concerns...high hipster pot head population I have been told...I have also been told by a few people that the girls are manly and do not do themselves up at all. The Menver label is also concerning. I have also been told that my hair will look bad all the time due to the the dry climate.

4. INDIANAPOLIS-I have been to Indy, a very under rated city. I was very impressed.

5. GRAND RAPIDS, MI-I have lived here as well. A wonderful place to live but on the small side.

These two are definite "yes" answers. Both Charlotte and Raleigh have more transplants from the North than originates from the South.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Based off your interests:
Hockey:
Minneapolis (NHL, College Hockey, and the best high school hockey in the country)
Denver (NHL and college hockey)
Manchester (NHL, college hockey and solid high school hockey)

Football:
Toss up

Music:
Nashville (Nashville is probably in the top 5 for music scenes)
Minneapolis (Minneapolis is another top music scene. It has an amazing local scene and majority of bands will hit Minneapolis on their first tour)
Denver (Denver is respectable as it has a decent local scene and attracts a lot touring acts)

Dating:
Minneapolis and Denver as they have more people within your age range and offer much more than the other cities / metros listed.

Overall, you can't go wrong with Minneapolis or Denver. IMO, the others are a bit too stale.

BTW, Norwegians and Swedes aren't even the top two ethnic groups in the Minneapolis - St. Paul area. People reporting Irish as their first ancestry actually outnumber Swedes so, no need to be concerned.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-21-2013 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM

390 posts, read 941,187 times
Personally, I don't believe Yankees can fit in down South. I've spent time living in Charleston, Raleigh and Atlanta. Once people hear your accent, you're immediately shunned. Yes, Southern Hospitality does exist, but it mainly applies to other Southerners. They don't like people from the North invading their territory. This dates back to the Civil War.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Minneapolis/MN has a moderate Polish population. I'd know, I'm part Polish. It's nothing like Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee or New York but it's certainly there.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Milwaukee is much more interesting than Indianapolis.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Nah, that's not true. People really don't ask you what your ancestry is anyways. Plus, I'm partially Polish and it has absolutely no effect on anything I do or the people I am around.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,735 times
bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City