Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most big city feeling of the group?
Montreal 32 22.54%
San Francisco 53 37.32%
Philadelphia 57 40.14%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM

408 posts, read 607,401 times

Advertisements

I'm highly familiar with Montreal and Boston, the former feels bigger no doubt. If you've ever driven in downtown Montreal and disagree with me, consider the direction you came in from.

North (15) and West(20/40): city's vast expanse in full display. Feels big. (see first video)

South(15): a grand entrance worthy of an alpha city. Very complex (albeit falling apart) highway interchange indicative of a very massive city. (see second video)

East(40/20): City appears out of nowhere, rural-urban transition is unimpressive.

Coming from North

Coming from South

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I agree
Density-wise it's San Fran>Montreal>Philly and it feels it even moreso on ground level
Size-wise its Philly>San Fran>Montreal but there is sort of an unofficial "where I feel safe to go border that eliminates much of Philly compared to San Fran and Montreal.

I think altogether these are very comparable cities but the size disadvantage is keeping the votes from Montreal.
This is the most accurate post in the thread IMO. Having spent a good amount of time in all three, I think the density argument is very close between Montreal and SF. Check out the link below for more information on Montreal:

Montreal and the census - Montreal Gazette

Another thing I'll add is that I think Montreal is the most vibrant of the three when it comes to late-night. I think only NYC is ahead of Montreal in that category.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM

80 posts, read 113,372 times
It depends on what you mean by "big city feeling". San Francisco might be big city in the downtown area but the majority of the city doesn't seem all that city to me. I'd say as far as continuous urban feel it's Philadelphia then Montreal with SF way behind the two. As far as nightlife, it's either SF or Montreal then Philadelphia. As far as stature, it's Montreal or SF then Philadelphia.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM

137 posts, read 220,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6456yt View Post
It depends on what you mean by "big city feeling". San Francisco might be big city in the downtown area but the majority of the city doesn't seem all that city to me. I'd say as far as continuous urban feel it's Philadelphia then Montreal with SF way behind the two. As far as nightlife, it's either SF or Montreal then Philadelphia. As far as stature, it's Montreal or SF then Philadelphia.
Never been to Montreal but have been to both Philly and SF, I will say this, Philly has more classic urban building styles and narrower streets however I judge a citie's feel by street level activity, and for that SF is head and shoulders above Philly.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
Never been to Montreal but have been to both Philly and SF, I will say this, Philly has more classic urban building styles and narrower streets however I judge a citie's feel by street level activity, and for that SF is head and shoulders above Philly.
That's not the way to judge a city's feel.

Live in any neighborhood in Philadelphia for a year and tell me SF has more street level activity. People act like it's non-existent in Philadelphia just because it's not accessible to people who aren't from a certain background in the supposedly "dead" parts of the city.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Quote:
San Francisco might be big city in the downtown area but the majority of the city doesn't seem all that city to me.
This doesn't really make sense at all. SF has plenty of non-downtown neighborhoods that are incredibly vibrant (Mission, Lower Haight, Upper Haight, Castro, Marina, SOMA, Fillmore, etc.).

Here are some non-downtown neighborhoods:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...155g!2e0&fid=5

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...IPyQ!2e0&fid=5

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...pGnw!2e0&fid=5

Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
This doesn't really make sense at all. SF has plenty of non-downtown neighborhoods that are incredibly vibrant (Mission, Lower Haight, Upper Haight, Castro, Marina, SOMA, Fillmore, etc.).

Here are some non-downtown neighborhoods:

[URL]https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-122.43267!3d37.783174!2m2!1f175.45!2f83.64!4f75!2m 7!1e1!2m2!1sz8glGRxnTBstvMZ_Vd155g!2e0!5m2!1sz8glG RxnTBstvMZ_Vd155g!2e0&fid=5[/URL]

[URL]https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-122.448068!3d37.769873!2m2!1f263.85!2f89.67!4f75!2 m7!1e1!2m2!1s-9yO1nLDcZpj-mmffXIPyQ!2e0!5m2!1s-9yO1nLDcZpj-mmffXIPyQ!2e0&fid=5[/URL]

[URL]https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-122.421327!3d37.762597!2m2!1f92.05!2f89.27!4f75!2m 7!1e1!2m2!1sJpsevHuS-m-vW_UX2epGnw!2e0!5m2!1sJpsevHuS-m-vW_UX2epGnw!2e0&fid=5[/URL]
Vibrant and city are not the same thing.

Plenty of SF looks suburban with bungalows or even the part with the painted-ladies up and down the hills.

I'd appreciate it if people who can't handle the truth would stop insulting those who hold viewpoints different from their own when they in fact don't actually know any better.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
That's not the way to judge a city's feel.

Live in any neighborhood in Philadelphia for a year and tell me SF has more street level activity. People act like it's non-existent in Philadelphia just because it's not accessible to people who aren't from a certain background in the supposedly "dead" parts of the city.
That's your opinion, that's the way I judge cities, so how would you judge a citie's grandiose feel? Skyscrapers? Density?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Vibrant and city are not the same thing.

Plenty of SF looks suburban with bungalows or even the part with the painted-ladies up and down the hills.

I'd appreciate it if people who can't handle the truth would stop insulting those who hold viewpoints different from their own when they in fact don't actually know any better.
LOL, no sorry buddy SF blows away Philly with street level vibrancy, go to Mexico city there's little shacks of houses in that city but would you really say it doesn't feel like a big city because of it?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
That's your opinion, that's the way I judge cities, so how would you judge a citie's grandiose feel? Skyscrapers? Density?
Yes, just as you have your opinion.

I'd judge it by many things, without putting an emphasis on any one thing. I think the biggest thing that displays how "big" and urban a city is, is the neighborhoods outside of the downtown area. It's obvious what feels like a city and what doesn't. Even Philadelphia unfortunately has plenty of breaks in its urban footprint, but it doesn't feel the least bit suburban until you get to the Northeast, with the exception of some of the smaller streets in West/Northwest/Southwest Philly. If you take the main streets all the way through the city though, it is a continuous city feel. Anybody who has taken the Market St El before can attest to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City