Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Cincinnati is not a Southern city. It is the Midwest, just like the rest I mentioned. Lower Midwest, but still Midwest.
Cincinnati definitely has more southern influence than the other cities on the list. It's a midwestern city, but very different in regional politics and social culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Cincinnati definitely has more southern influence than the other cities on the list. It's a midwestern city, but very different in regional politics and social culture.
Fine. Acknowledged.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
So much for the "and why?"
So much for criteria to a thread.

Why would I live in Milwaukee over the other choices?

I like Lake Michigan.

I like MKE's east side.

I like the vibe in Milwaukee.

I like the relative cool summers.

I like Bradford Beach.

If pressed, I could live happily in any of the four for various reasons. But that wasn't the question.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
So much for criteria to a thread.

Why would I live in Milwaukee over the other choices?

I like Lake Michigan.

I like MKE's east side.

I like the vibe in Milwaukee.

I like the relative cool summers.

I like Bradford Beach.

If pressed, I could live happily in any of the four for various reasons. But that wasn't the question.
It's not my thread... He didn't ask you to compare different criteria to decide which is best, just which you'd rather live in and your reasoning...

Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
St. Louis seems like a better investment than the other cities. It just has the superior economic prospects and redevelopment plans.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Poor race relations are a turn off.
A valid argument could be made for any of the cities on that list having poor race relations. None of them is better or worse in that regard than any of the others.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
St. Louis is VERY similar to Cleveland with regard to socio-political dynamics.
Yup. I have always felt like StL and Cleveland were very, VERY similar cities overall.

If I were choosing which one to move to (and at one point I considered all of them but Milwaukee), I would choose:

1. Cincinnati - the most charming mid-sized city I can think of. Love it. Proximity to Appalachia is a big selling point for me to, I can't think of a place on earth a lovely as West Virginia.

2. St Louis - loads of character, sometimes a little to much "chip on the shoulder" culture for mu taste, which is why Cincinnati edges it out on my list. I think the Ozarks are the second prettiest readily accessible "outstate" area on the list.

3. Milwaukee - hard not to love it (in the summer). I couldn't care less about the Great Lakes for recreation. Just big flat nothing to me. Wisconsin's lovely though. A bit blander than the Ozarks or Appalachia, but lovely.

4. Cleveland - in a lot of ways, I would love living there. It's like StL culturally (big plus), but with a built environment that I think is handsomer and architectural styles I like better. But the location is a spoiler for me. Too cloudy, and, again, I don't really like the Great Lakes for an outdoor destination. The prospect of being limited to northern Ohio, Western PA, and Southeast Michigan for a quick "into the country" trip is the deal-breaker for me.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 04-19-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
1. Cleveland - Nothing beats my home town, interesting culture, friendly people (but in a genuine way, not in a "Minnesota Nice" way), great food, interesting history, great amenities.
2. Milwaukee - Seems similar to Cleveland in a lot of ways, upper Midwest is nice, close to Chicago
3. St. Louis - Never been, but seems like an interesting and revitalizing city, though I've heard that they are kind of behind the curve socio-politically.
4. Cincinnati - Seems like it could be interesting, but it seems too southern/conservative for me. Poor race relations are a turn off.
Cleverfeild you never been to cincinnati yet you say its conservative and southern, cincinnati is not conservative i repeat its not conservative. This city has a huge pride festival and voted majorly democrat. St. Louis isnt behind in the socio-pollitical curve....

Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
1. Milwaukee - Closer to home, lake michigan vibe
2. Cleveland - due to large family presence so wouldn't be alone
3. The Lou - would be something different, have some family
4. Cincy - No family there and black middle class tends to be lacking or they are all hiding in the shadows, kind of feels like I'm on an island.
Msamhunter this might be the maybe 50th time in where you put cincinnati down just like in the other threads...just dont lie about the city, i happen to live in cincinnati and i am white, black and mexican (yes i know its a lot of races) and there are many wealthy black people in this city. Im just not sure how you know what each city is lacking in black people middle class.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
1. St. Louis - Spent a portion of childhood here, very positive experiences.

2. Cleveland - Family connections to the area, plus that big body of water

Never really spent time in Cincinnati and Milwaukee other than passing through... I would give Milwaukee the edge due to the water.

3. Milwaukee
4. Cincinnati
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City