Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
4. Cleveland - in a lot of ways, I would love living there. It's like StL culturally (big plus), but with a built environment that I think is handsomer and architectural styles I like better. But the location is a spoiler for me. Too cloudy, and, again, I don't really like the Great Lakes for an outdoor destination. The prospect of being limited to northern Ohio, Western PA, and Southeast Michigan for a quick "into the country" trip is the deal-breaker for me.
You left off several big ones here in West Virginia and Western NY. Both of these are beautiful scenic areas with mountains, lakes, national forests, etc. Also, in Western NY you have Lake Chautauqua, home of a world renouned cultural institute "The Chautauqua Institute", where many (mostly wealthy) Clevelanders head for a quick getaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
1. Cincinnati - It's the most charming, interesting city in this foursome. It has strong influences and characteristics from the Midwest, Northeast, South and Great Lakes regions due to its location and history. It also has a distinct European flair. And it has the best downtown of any of the four cities.

2. Cleveland - Great food, close to the Northeast, the lake and I love the east side of the city.

3. Milwaukee - The lake gives it an edge over Saint Loo. Also great food and beer. And Madison being close by is a #win

4. St. Louis - Not a fan of Missouri or southern Illinois, which sandwich the city. Plus, I don't like the Cardinals.

All four of these cities are solid though and run circles around some of the more popular fad cities on this forum.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Msamhunter this might be the maybe 50th time in where you put cincinnati down just like in the other threads...just dont lie about the city, i happen to live in cincinnati and i am white, black and mexican (yes i know its a lot of races) and there are many wealthy black people in this city. Im just not sure how you know what each city is lacking in black people middle class.
First, ive never put down cincy. Second, im not a college student like some. Real world interaction applies here. Oddly a topic on the cincy forum talks about the same issue so im no where near the only black person with that perception of the city. Third, its my preference, deal.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:32 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
1.Cincinnati-its my hometown duh (most vibrant and fastest growing downtown out of the three and the best skyline and scenery)
2.Cleveland- love its transportation system, awesome tourist attractions, i love your city clevelanders!
3. St. Louis also great transportation system and the arch of course, that architecture is freaking amazing!
4. Milwaukee might least favorite but love the city, surprisingly my favorite thing about the city is the beaches lol your museums are great too.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
1.Cincinnati- Very nice city. If there was more diversity there I would really love it. It has a lot going for it.
4. Milwaukee - Another interesting city with plenty of unique features.
2.Cleveland- Nothing spectacular about it to be honest. It has kind of this aura of mediocrity surrounding it. From the people to the sports teams. It will be a while until I take it seriously, but has some character.
3. St. Louis - Nothing special either. In the same boat as Cleveland for me. A city that looks like it fell apart, but is trying to make a comeback. Time will tell, but it has a long way to go before it can be one of the big boys again. The people also need to be less defensive.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
1.Cincinnati- Very nice city. If there was more diversity there I would really love it. It has a lot going for it.
2.Cleveland- Nothing spectacular about it to be honest. It has kind of this aura of mediocrity surrounding it. From the people to the sports teams. It will be a while until I take it seriously, but has some character.
3. St. Louis - Nothing special either. In the same boat as Cleveland for me. A city that looks like it fell apart, but is trying to make a comeback. Time will tell, but it has a long way to go before it can be one of the big boys again. The people also need to be less defensive.
I agree with you on most stuff but st. louis has the ARCH!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
Quote:
I dont see how u can say people from St. Louis are too defensive and then brush St. Louis off as nothing special, as if you wouldn't get offended if somebody said that about your hometown.

1. St. Louis - St. Louis has some of the best architecture in the country, I just love the bricks and its something that makes the city stand out in the Midwest. It just really has a sense of place and I cant mistake the city for nowhere else. St. Louis also has been blessed with great institutions, universities, unique culture, and historical significance. Only problem I have with my hometown is that its in Missouri (which holds back progress) and regional balkanization in terms of race, class, governance etc.
2. Milwaukee - I love Milwaukee. Its an extremely accessible city, very clean and intact for a post-industrial city. Reminds me of a mini-Chicago with easy access to the real Chicago. Beautiful Lake Michigan. Wish it was bigger with light rail. Definitely underrated.
3. Cincinnati - Cincinnati is a great city. I love the topography and OTR is beautiful and will absolutely be one of the best neighborhoods in the country when fully redeveloped. I love what they are doing on their riverfront and Covington, KY is beautiful. Only thing I dont like about Cincinnati is
4. Cleveland - Cleveland has a lot of heart and I've met some great individual from the area and NE Ohio in general. I love their downtown, the Euclid Avenue corridor has some truly breathtaking architecture that is worth of envy. Only thing that turns me off about Cleveland is the post industrial lakefront and river, this is something it shares a lot of common with St. Louis...Image. I'm also not a big fan of frame architecture being from a brick city.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I agree with you on most stuff but st. louis has the ARCH!
I agree, and it's very unique, and awesome to look at, but its nothing more than a set piece.

After you see and walk around it, then what?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I agree, and it's very unique, and awesome to look at, but its nothing more than a set piece.

After you see and walk around it, then what?
yeah unfortunately their downtown has a lot of work but their malls are good.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Milwaukee because it's a short trip from there to the Northwoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City