Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Suburbs in LA and SF are probably the most "urban" in the sense they are very dense, the densest in the US actually.
NYC and Philadelphia both have some very very dense suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It would be interesting to find out some of the densest in the country. I know that Cambridge and Somerville in Boston are in the 16,000-18,000 per sq mi range as are the likes of Cicero and Berwyn in Chicago. I know Jersey City is around the same, but places like Hoboken are closer to 40,000 per sq mile.
The densest suburbs in Los Angeles are Maywood, Cudahy, Walnut Park, Lennox, Huntington Park, West Hollywood, Florence-Graham, East Los Angeles. Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Glendale, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Manhattan / Redondo / Hermosa Beaches are the areas outside of city limits that have the most "urban" appearances, but aren't necessarily that dense overall, for a variety of reasons.

Glendale and Long Beach are the densest satellite cities - they both have entire neighborhoods full of 20-30k+ ppsm census tracts.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
I'm most familiar with outlying areas of D.C. and Baltimore which have many brick colonial single family homes but also have whole neighborhoods of semi-detached houses, highrise apartmet buildings, whole blocks of attached garden style apartments and blocks of new urban town houses. I was just wondering of the most urban cities in the US what does the housing stock look like and what would be considered the most urban and most suburban. As and example would the outlying areas of D.C. and Baltimore be as urban as the core neigborhoods of Seattle and Portland.
Are you asking which areas have the best urban design or are you asking which areas have the most people living in particular census tracts? I ask this because it seems like people think you were talking about population density and how many people live in housing units in a particular area versus the actual structural density and urban design of the neighborhoods and structures. I assumed that was what you were talking about because you only mentioned homes and their interaction with each other. What did you mean?

Old 04-25-2013, 03:56 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,249,169 times
Cincinnati. Cincinnati's suburbs are almost always another world from the urban core.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
They are up there, although I'd bet that some NYC suburbs in northern jersey are more urban/dense even.
Sure if you consider places like Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City, etc.. "suburbs". But overall Los Angeles is the densest MSA around 7K ppsqm, SF MSA is around 6,300 ppsqm, and San Jose MSA around 5,800 ppsqm. NY MSA is around 5,300 ppsqm.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Just look at LA and how far the dark purple extends all over the metro area, same with the Bay Area. Philly and NYC don't really have that nearly as much.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Somewhat related to this thread.

I was curious if the L.A. satelite cities (no city limits) could match the size and density of the city of Chicago. The answer is..."Yes".

These are the cities I tabulated:

Long Beach
Hawthorne
Inglewood
Southgate
Santa Ana
Huntington Park
Maywood
West Hollywood
Lennox
Cudahy
Bell Gardens
East Los Angeles
Bell
El Monte
Hermosa Beach
Bellflower
La Puente
Lawndale
Alhambra
Lynwood
Baldwin Park
Rosemead
Santa Monica
Compton
Gardena
Artesia
Redondo Beach
Downey
Norwalk
Paramount

The results:

225 sq miles
Population: 2,568,481
11,640 ppsm

Its dubious calling a few of these cities suburbs, but the point stands.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:48 PM

46 posts, read 79,367 times
What I was asking was what cities were most urban in the outlying areas of the city limits, primarily the built urban form.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,923,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
NYC and Philadelphia both have some very very dense suburbs.
Add Pittsburgh to that list. Some of its inner suburbs are as dense or denser than the city itself due to Pittsburgh's topography. Dormont, Mount Oliver, Aspinwall, Sharpsburg, Wilkinsburg, and Swissvale are all denser than the city. Dormont is as densely populated as Philadelphia.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to find out some of the densest in the country. I know that Cambridge and Somerville in Boston are in the 16,000-18,000 per sq mi range as are the likes of Cicero and Berwyn in Chicago. I know Jersey City is around the same, but places like Hoboken are closer to 40,000 per sq mile.

Densest municipality (57,000 per square mile) is Guttenberg, NJ. It's tiny, 1/5 of a square mile and contains 3 high rises overlooking the Hudson. But New Jersey has some tiny incorporated places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City