Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
I'm most familiar with outlying areas of D.C. and Baltimore which have many brick colonial single family homes but also have whole neighborhoods of semi-detached houses, highrise apartmet buildings, whole blocks of attached garden style apartments and blocks of new urban town houses. I was just wondering of the most urban cities in the US what does the housing stock look like and what would be considered the most urban and most suburban. As and example would the outlying areas of D.C. and Baltimore be as urban as the core neigborhoods of Seattle and Portland.
What do you mean by outlying areas? Many of what I would consider the outlying areas of DC don't seem very urban to me. Certainly not in comparison to the most urban areas of Portland and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
What I was asking was what cities were most urban in the outlying areas of the city limits, primarily the built urban form.
I figured that was what you meant. Many people don't understand the concept. That's why you will see people talk about population density through this thread. Most people don't understand urban design which is why you will see a lot about population density in this thread with no mention of urban design or building street relationship.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I figured that was what you meant. Many people don't understand the concept. That's why you will see people talk about population density through this thread. Most people don't understand urban design which is why you will see a lot about population density in this thread with no mention of urban design or building street relationship.
I understand your take on "urban design" just fine. I think it's mostly a crock, that's all. Always have. Narrow streets and colonial architecture don't make up for low population densities.

I'll post this again:

Los Angeles Satellite Cities
30 cities
225 non-contigous sq miles
Population: 2,568,481
11,640 ppsm

Not one section of the city of Los Angeles is included in those totals either. It deserves a mention in this thread.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Here's a rather (isolated) urban block just south of Scarsdale train station, 19 miles north of Midtown Manhattan.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=scars...08.78,,0,-9.53

Those apartments go on for 0.7 miles, with a few shops mixed in and a walkable center at the north end. Here's a satellite city nearby:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+R...209.57,,0,3.72

one skyscraper:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+R...43.52,,0,-6.46

Some new waterfront development in Yonkers:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=yonke...82.93,,0,-3.55

some denser older parts, a bit gritty:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=yonke...,190.5,,0,2.91

Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM

56 posts, read 79,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I understand your take on "urban design" just fine. I think it's mostly a crock, that's all. Always have. Narrow streets and colonial architecture don't make up for low population densities.

I'll post this again:

Los Angeles Satellite Cities
30 cities
225 non-contigous sq miles
Population: 2,568,481
11,640 ppsm

Not one section of the city of Los Angeles is included in those totals either. It deserves a mention in this thread.
Wow, that add up to the city Chicago, 227 sq miles and 2.7 million.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM

25 posts, read 52,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It would be interesting to find out some of the densest in the country. I know that Cambridge and Somerville in Boston are in the 16,000-18,000 per sq mi range as are the likes of Cicero and Berwyn in Chicago. I know Jersey City is around the same, but places like Hoboken are closer to 40,000 per sq mile.
I don't think it's fair to call Cambridge and Somerville "suburbs"(or even Hoboken/JC). These are really parts of Boston in just about every sense except name.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It would be interesting to find out some of the densest in the country. I know that Cambridge and Somerville in Boston are in the 16,000-18,000 per sq mi range as are the likes of Cicero and Berwyn in Chicago. I know Jersey City is around the same, but places like Hoboken are closer to 40,000 per sq mile.
Yeah there are few scattered around. LA has quite a few. There are few around Philly that are in the 15-20 range. Some basically look like extensions of West Philly even to just walking across the street and fining more and more row homes etc.

Camden NJ and Chester Pa once had densities at this levelbut today are devasted and ghetto

Think some parts of DC would qualify too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City