Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,647,942 times

Advertisements

I'm male, mid 20s, live in Northern NJ, moved here from Oregon last yr, originally from Russia. Northern NJ is cool, but it's too expensive and too congested so I am thinking about moving in 1.5 yrs, once I'm done with school so got enough time to research and visit the possible destinations. I like the whole East Coast vibe, seems more real to me than the West and reminds me of Europe more so I def don't wanna go back to Pacific NW or the West Coast in general. I am considering moving to Philly area, either South Jers or the PA side, depending on where I find a job and all that. The way I see it-I don't like NYC that much, it's overrated and a bad place to live as far as QOL is concerned, but a nice place to visit. Basically, I could have a more laid back, more affordable living with an option to still visit NYC occasionally for entertainment or whatever. At the same time I'd have Philly too, which from what I understand is pretty live as well and has many things to offer. Location is what I really like about it cuz there is a great variety of things to do, from Jersey Beaches to AC (I like to party) to all the usual stuff like mountains, nature, etc. Having NYC and DC nearby is great too. One of the main negative things I heard about Philly-a lot of rotten hoods, and the hood of the hoods Camden right across the river. I'd most likely live in the burbs though so it shouldn't effect me as much plus I live near hoods now anyway.

I was also thinking about Boston, but cost of living is like where I'm at so kinda pointless really. I'll prolly end up at a govt job, and they pay similar everywhere so cost of living is a big thing in my case as I'm not gonna be rich any time soon, and I don't wanna live in a sh1t closet just to claim I live somewhere important like some people in Manhattan do. Chicago seems very attractive, and I knew people that lived there and told me great things, but the location kinda turns me off. I like to go to the ocean a lot during summer.
I have a similar thread in Philly section, but I'd like to see what others say who may have less bias and also maybe lived in different cities all around thus can provide a fair assessment.
Would Philly Metro be a good choice for me? Any other places I should consider?

Thank you.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 07-27-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 PM

27,730 posts, read 28,843,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Would Philly Metro be a good choice for me? Any other places I should consider?
East coast city with a lower COL near other large cities and not far from the beach? Philly is your best option.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 PM

7,303 posts, read 10,654,041 times
It does appear that Philly would be your best bet. The Baltimore area may be another option, but that area has definitely gotten rapidly more expensive due to proximity to DC. Also, you'd be further from NYC.

There are plenty of NJ/NY relocatees in the area, so it's not like you'd be a pioneer. You can also easily avoid the more troubled urban neighborhoods which you'd have no business being in anyway. Assuming you can attain a similar salary, the cost-of-living difference in terms of housing expenses alone would give you a lot more breathing room in Philly.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It does appear that Philly would be your best bet. The Baltimore area may be another option, but that area has definitely gotten rapidly more expensive due to proximity to DC. Also, you'd be further from NYC.

There are plenty of NJ/NY relocatees in the area, so it's not like you'd be a pioneer. You can also easily avoid the more troubled urban neighborhoods which you'd have no business being in anyway. Assuming you can attain a similar salary, the cost-of-living difference in terms of housing expenses alone would give you a lot more breathing room in Philly.

Good luck!
Indeed. Perhaps these people can share their moving experiences and how it worked out for them.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:15 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,533,447 times
What about the midwest?
much lower cost of living and yet there are many great cities to live in like Indianapolis/Minneapolis/Columbus etc.
oleschoolfool would you be open to the midwest?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
What about the midwest?
much lower cost of living and yet there are many great cities to live in like Indianapolis/Minneapolis/Columbus etc.
oleschoolfool would you be open to the midwest?
These cities seem too small and isolated, as I already lived in a smaller, isolated city-Portland, OR. Plus Midwest, just like Oregon, is more like "average america", which I don't like.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:07 PM

If I forget bout the location drawback, is Chi a good choice? It seems affordable for a city of its magnitude.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,707,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
If I forget bout the location drawback, is Chi a good choice? It seems affordable for a city of its magnitude.
It is a very large city with many amenities for a fairly affordable cost. However, since you were talking about the overall "vibe" of a place as why you want to stay on the East Coast, then I think you should consider making a trip there before really deciding. I assume you've already visited Philly, so you can sort of use your personal experiences for comparison.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,578,993 times
chicago sounds like a better fit

Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It is a very large city with many amenities for a fairly affordable cost. However, since you were talking about the overall "vibe" of a place as why you want to stay on the East Coast, then I think you should consider making a trip there before really deciding. I assume you've already visited Philly, so you can sort of use your personal experiences for comparison.
I haven't visited Philly yet. Is Philly nightlife adequate? Someone who lived there told me its kinda corny and there is only sh1t to do in center city, otherwise it's jus a city of neighborhoods where people live with not much action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City