Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,531 times

Advertisements

Woops, I think I started to type "Well in that case, you can't beat the city" but then changed "city" to "Chicago" and forgot to take out "the"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
As has been said, the commute will be bad for him. But if he's the one pushing the move I guess he'll have to deal with it

A compromise could be to look in Berwyn or Oak Park. You can be close to the CTA Blue or Green lines to get downtown and also be close to the Metra train that goes to Aurora. In the city the South Loop or Pilsen would allow you to do the same thing. Do some research on Pilsen, it's a "transitional" neighborhood, and while most of it is fine there are some rough areas.

If your Husband is going to drive you should look at Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village/West Town. You could take the Blue line downtown and he could drive south to the Ike for his commute.

If you're a foodie definitely check out LTH Forums and Metromix. Chicago is a great food city.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Depending on where in Aurora your husband's job would be I would definitely suggest the metra. Chicago to Aurora has several trains in the morning that go almost directly there without making all of the stops. Check it out: Metra / BNSF Monday - Friday Outbound

Or if driving is really a neccessity I would highly suggest taking I-55 if possible. The traffic is MUCH better most mornings (of course that also depends on when he would be leaving Chicago)

But yes that will be a very rough commute no matter how you slice it.

Do you both live and work in DC now?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 AM

539 posts, read 1,923,644 times
I think Oak Park is a good choice. I also think that D.C. is one hard city to leave (provided you can afford it). But I think you'll enjoy Chicago, you'll just to have make an adjustment, especially in the wintertime. The Maryland/Virginia/D.C. area has pretty tame winters compared to Chicago. Even New York winters are pretty good compared to here.

_

Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 AM

23 posts, read 86,850 times
Thanks Guys for all your reponses- I was hoping to get a few ideas on the cost of living, opportunities present in the IT field, diversity in regards to Chicago versus DC, etc,

aragx6- Yes we both live and work in DC at present- he commutes 1-1.5 hour daily each way right now(that is DC traffic)

he will be working at the FAA Chicago Center in Aurora-supposedly you can take the metra out there(according to some of his coworkers) and walk/bike down the ten blocks- since we haven't been there yet, we are not really sure....

He wants to stay downtown(or very near to the surrounding area), since he knows I will be moving there primarily for him. Also let's just say that I am not jumping up and down at the idea of moving anywhere right now....but am keeping an open mind

Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
The train (Metra) does run that far west, but the train ride alone will be over an hour. In summer he can walk to the FAA Center, but in the winter it can and does get extremely cold several days of the year, thats when he'll wish he had a car. lol

Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
If Metra is a possibility, you can live downtown. The Metra line going to Aurora (BNSF) starts at Union Station in the west loop part of downtown. That part of the city is full of mid-rise condos and lofts. Its a nice urban area for young couples without kids. You'll be able to walk to your job in the Loop. Not the most happening area with regards to restaurants and shopping, but you'll be very close to those areas. A 2 bedroom, 1000 square foot condo will run between 3-400K in that area.

Also, since your husband will be reverse commuting, he will be allowed to take a bicycle on the train with him.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
It would be better to live in Naperville and for you to take the train in. Its only forty min on the Burlington. Naperville is very nice. It will be a hellish commute, I am assuming atcontrollers have to be on time. No way it can be done.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:31 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
It would be better to live in Naperville and for you to take the train in. Its only forty min on the Burlington. Naperville is very nice. It will be a hellish commute, I am assuming atcontrollers have to be on time. No way it can be done.
But the living part would be a huge difference between Naperville and downtown. If your husband is used to a long commute, and you both know what you're getting into, live downtown. But don't buy, rent instead to get a feel for the area first.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 AM

23 posts, read 86,850 times
thanks but naperville is too far form the city- we are definitely considering downtown....

and yes - he is used to a long commute(sigh), and as for what we are getting into-well- please share your experiences of living in chicago versus that of dc- and we are definitely thinking about renting than buying....
thanks for all your responses everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City