Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times

Advertisements

Chicago.

When I first visited, Big John was actually a must see for me. Sounds kinda cheesy, but it was because one of the first movies I ever remember seeing as a kid was Poltergeist III, when Carol Anne is trapped in the JHB as it is being taken over by ghosts. Scared the hell out of me. It is a very powerful and ageless looking building.

Poltergeist 3 Official Trailer #1 - Tom Skerritt Movie (1988) HD - YouTube

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 05-21-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
As a stand alone, it's the JHT in Chicago. It's iconic, imposing, beautiful, and so very Chicago. The observation area is one of my favorites in the world. While it's not the tallest, it certainly does stand out in the skyline.

In context, I'm inclined to lean a little more towards the JHT in Boston. I've read comments like, "it's just another glass tower," etc. The JHT was built decades before reflective glass towers were common. It was built with careful attention paid to its surroundings. Standing in Copley Square and seeing Trinity Church, the Fairmont, and the red and brown stone structures of historic Boston reflected in the Hancock tower is an experience that's fairly unique to Boston. Its trapezoidal shape gives a bunch of unique looks too. Standing in the Common and looking West toward the JHT, it's broad glass facade seems to loom over the city. Standing on Commonwealth Avenue or Newbury, it looks like a narrow shard of glass towering above the 2-4 story historic brick homes.

A lot of people compare the height as if that's all that matters. The JHT in Chicago is much taller for sure; but it's also located in a city with a bunch of other skyscrapers that are much taller than anything in Boston. 3 towers in Chicago alone are taller than the Chicago JHT. Again, if you stood them side by side out of context, the JHT in Chicago is easily the winner. It's taller and it's more iconic. However, I think that in terms of context, the JHT in Boston may have a slight edge.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. I can't see anyone saying NYC "is far ahead" of Chicago in architecture. NYC's architecture is glorious, but pound for pound quantity, it is most certainly not better than Chicago.

As far as the initial questions, Chicago's John Hancock by a mile over Boston's. Chicago's John Hancock building is an absolute architectural icon whereas Boston's is nice, but not nearly as significant (or cool) as Chicago's.
I believe it is. I think Chicago's architecture is incredible...but New York's is on a different level in my opinion. Manhattan is out of this world when it comes to architecture, whether it be towers, low rise, or monuments. Even beyond Manhattan, there is incredible architecture throughout the outer boroughs.

It's impossible to touch in the US and is only rivaled by London, Paris, and perhaps a few others in terms of architectural beauty.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Well first off: Why Didn't I Include A Poll?!?! Would've made this thread 10 times more interesting. Is it beyond the power of the moderators to add one?

Anyway, I'm surprised by the widespread support that the Chicago tower's been getting. I mean, I'm completely biased, but to me the Chicago tower looks a lot like Boston's Prudential Tower or One Boston Place in that it looks really steely and harsh. Maybe it's just that since Chicago's whole skyline is a lot bigger and receives a lot more attention than Boston's, people have been throwing the JHT in Chicago over the one in Boston...

But everyone's entitled to their opinion. I just love the fact that it was built in the 60s/70s, but looks so modern. I mean someone pointed out a 2009 building in Seoul that looks incredibly similar, despite the fact that the JHT was built 40 years earlier. How cool is that?

More pics:

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/109/300843535_9f9c2af7be.jpg
Boston John Hancock Tower by gilber, on Flickr

vs

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2662/3723889781_d3c3346553.jpg
John Hancock Center, Chicago by tixie21, on Flickr

Last edited by JMT; 12-27-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
I agree with what marothisu said earlier. I personally think Boston's has a sleeker look to it and is a quite nice-looking building but tbh I had never even heard of Boston having a JH until I opened this thread. Chicago's is just such an iconic part of the skyline and offers some really mind-blowing views from the top of the lake and the rest of the city.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Well first off: Why Didn't I Include A Poll?!?! Would've made this thread 10 times more interesting. Is it beyond the power of the moderators to add one?

Anyway, I'm surprised by the widespread support that the Chicago tower's been getting. I mean, I'm completely biased, but to me the Chicago tower looks a lot like Boston's Prudential Tower or One Boston Place in that it looks really steely and harsh. Maybe it's just that since Chicago's whole skyline is a lot bigger and receives a lot more attention than Boston's, people have been throwing the JHT in Chicago over the one in Boston...

But everyone's entitled to their opinion. I just love the fact that it was built in the 60s/70s, but looks so modern. I mean someone pointed out a 2009 building in Seoul that looks incredibly similar, despite the fact that the JHT was built 40 years earlier. How cool is that?

More pics:

Boston John Hancock Tower by gilber, on Flickr

vs

John Hancock Center, Chicago by tixie21, on Flickr
The JHT is my favorite skyscraper in Boston as the KLI 63 is in Seoul. I remember seeing the KLI 63 having a crane at the top in April of 1984. I didn't visit the building in person until June of 1986. I wonder if the JHT in Boston also have a public observatory. I would like to pay a visit. I've been to Chicago's JHC hundreds of times but I don't mind a different view this time.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Well certainly by no means am I saying you're wrong. You have your opinion, I was just disagreeing with it is all.
That's fine...my intention wasn't to come off as angry/aggressive hah.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I wonder if the JHT in Boston also have a public observatory. I would like to pay a visit.
It does. Well... It did. It closed to the public in the aftermath of 9/11. Today it's used mostly for private functions. There's a little bit of a legal issue with it being closed. The Obseration Deck at the JHT in Boston was mandatory as part of the legal negotiations with the city of Boston for building the tower. It's technically a violation of the contract with the city to keep it closed. Still, it doesn't look like it's going to be open again any time soon.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It does. Well... It did. It closed to the public in the aftermath of 9/11. Today it's used mostly for private functions. There's a little bit of a legal issue with it being closed. The Obseration Deck at the JHT in Boston was mandatory as part of the legal negotiations with the city of Boston for building the tower. It's technically a violation of the contract with the city to keep it closed. Still, it doesn't look like it's going to be open again any time soon.
Yea I remember being bummed out about that while I was working there...I was only on the 3rd floor during my tenure () but I went up to the top floors a few times to check out the view. The upper floors are packed to the gills with private equity companies, and one of them had this enormous lobby that you could go into and get an incredible view of the Common and DT Boston.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't disagree that the architecture of Chicago is fantastic. But in my opinion it doesn't stack up to New York, which I believe has a strong advantage over Chicago. You can post all the lists you want but it doesn't disprove what I believe. For what it's worth, several of those lists left off New York City, London, Amsterdam, Moscow, and Paris from their Top 10s, and included cities like Dubai and Shanghai. That sort of hurts their credibility...though I see several of them are for modern architecture only. Most of the modern architecture of Dubai is hideous and incredibly tacky and shouldn't be on any "best of" lists when it comes to architecture.
I would agree that the ONLY city in the US that has Chicago beat in architecture is NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City