Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 11:16 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times

Advertisements

^ There is, the database at skyscraperpage.com lists buildings of 12+ stories by city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Agreed
Check out the histogram I posted above. It shows that Chicago has more 300+ foot tall buildings, but Toronto overtakes it when it's 200+ foot by a little bit, meaning toronto has a lot more 200-300 foot buildings, but above that Chicago has more.

Quote:
No, Emporis isn't what it use to be since they now include buildings counting schools, churches which I think is a bit ridiculous but where else can you go that compiles that much data on buildings. It's a pain to keep track of all the stuff posted at SSP or SSC construction when it's hundreds of pages long. It would take a million years to decipher through all of that. I wish there was a site that would give the totals based on buildings 12 or more stories instead of including a train station.
Weird, the numbers are very, very, very similar to what's on Emporis..

Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
These are buildings with actual measured heights plus expected for the ones under construction.

1000+ Footers:
Chicago: 5 existing, 0 UC, 0 estimated = 5 total
Toronto: 1 existing, 0 UC, 0 estimated = 1 total
Los Angeles: 1 existing, 0 UC, 0 estimated = 1 total

900+ Footers:
Chicago: 7 existing, 0 UC = 7 total
Toronto: 3 existing, 0 UC = 3 total
Los Angeles: 1 existing, 0 UC = 1 total

800+ Footers:
Chicago: 13 existing, 0 UC = 13 total
Toronto: 6 existing, 2 UC = 8 total
Los Angeles: 2 existing, 0 UC = 2 total

700+ Footers:
Chicago: 19 existing, 0 UC = 19 total
Toronto: 8 existing, 5 UC = 13 total
Los Angeles = 8 existing, 0 UC = 8 total

600+ Footers:
Chicago: 44 existing, 3 UC = 47 total
Toronto: 17 existing, 10 UC = 27 total
Los Angeles: 13 existing, 0 UC = 13 total

500+ Footers:
Chicago: 105 existing, 4 UC = 109 total
Toronto: 31 existing, 21 UC = 52 total
Los Angeles: 22 existing, 0 UC = 22 total

400+ Footers:
Chicago: 191 existing, 9 UC, 2 Estimated = 202 total
Toronto: 83 existing, 44 UC = 127 total
Los Angeles: 34 existing, 0 UC = 34 total

300+ Footers:
Chicago: 322 existing, 9 UC, 18 estimated = 349 total
Toronto: 199 existing, 75-81 UC, 46 estimated = 320 - 326 total
Los Angeles: 64 existing, 1 UC = 65 total

200+ footers:
Toronto: 352 existing, 102-105 UC, 355 estimated = 809-812 total
Chicago: 547 existing, 9-13 UC, 171 estimated = 727-731 total
Los Angeles: 98 existing, 1-6 UC = 99-104 total

So as you can see what I was saying before...Toronto has more in the way of 200-300 footers, but Chicago has more 300+ footers.
What do the estimated number mean?

Also, Wilshire Grand Tower (1100 ft) is on track for construction to start later this year. Interesting note is that Korean Air will be the owner and developer for this--maybe a harbinger of things to come as Korean investment has been responsible for many smaller midrise construction throughout the city in the last decade, but this billion dollar tower might just be the massive tip of a coming iceberg.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What do the estimated number mean?
I was going by Emporis for the already existing stuff. The buildings that list a height in an actual list are ones with verified heights. There are a ton of them that haven't been verified/measured and Emporis estimates their heights by the number of floors they are and a few other factors. If you look at a list, they don't list a height, but if you go to each individual page, they have an estimate height.

Quote:
Also, Wilshire Grand Tower (1100 ft) is on track for construction to start later this year. Interesting note is that Korean Air will be the owner and developer for this--maybe a harbinger of things to come as Korean investment has been responsible for many smaller midrise construction throughout the city in the last decade, but this billion dollar tower might just be the massive tip of a coming iceberg.
Yeah. Should be interesting. I wanted to do planned stuff but I had to step out for an errand

Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Oh I totally agree - Toronto may end up having more buildings and a denser core - assuming construction continues for 5-10 years at a similar pace (which is entirely plausible), but it will never have the beautiful architecture Chicago has. The only hope we have is a bigger skyline with more glass and concrete - not the classics Chicago has. This is why it'll be totally subjective which is 'better' Toronto may be newer but not at all necessarily better - probably not. This is why Chicago is still my favourite skyline in the world! Hong Kong may be denser and maybe a bit higher but not at all more beautiful - same with Dubai and Shanghai. Really - it is a reflection of when the booms occurred! Toronto's booms are far more recent than Chicago's... I would prefer to have the balance Chicago has but in the end - i'm thrilled at the enormity of our recent boom - it has opened the city's eyes to what it is and what it is becoming!

Why the boom? Geography, growth and location - these are the reasons fueling the boom and will contine to fuel it. Canadians love to live in their Downtown areas to a far greater degree than Americans imo.. Additionally - we can't really sprawl horizontally anymore due to governmental regulation protecting surrounding farmlands around the Greater Toronto Area. So - combine all those factors and you will understand what is the fuel behind T.O's growth. Having a lot of foreign investment particularly China in our real estate is helping as well... Toronto is truly an International city.

This is a great page showing recent pics of our density and construction is still going gangbusters!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=17157&page=193

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Part of Chicago's imposing nature is the architecture, particularly its Gothic and revival styles, rather than just the size of the city itself. I'm actually reading a book now called Becoming the Second City, and what's interesting is Chicago had dreams of being a big city right from the beginning, so eventually one of the main goals of the city was to impress. This is why Chicago made one amazing Gotham city. The old stock mixed with dark skyscrapers like the Sears and JHB make for a more intimidated presence than cities many times its size imo.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-25-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I was going by Emporis for the already existing stuff. The buildings that list a height in an actual list are ones with verified heights. There are a ton of them that haven't been verified/measured and Emporis estimates their heights by the number of floors they are and a few other factors. If you look at a list, they don't list a height, but if you go to each individual page, they have an estimate height.

Yeah. Should be interesting. I wanted to do planned stuff but I had to step out for an errand
And really, the only reason it isn't technically under construction yet is because the existing Wilshire Grand hotel has to be taken down piece by piece due to asbestos.

They are very close to having it demolished, and consti should start soon. My wife works across yhe street from the site, and her bosses corner office has a great view of the proceedings.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
And really, the only reason it isn't technically under construction yet is because the existing Wilshire Grand hotel has to be taken down piece by piece due to asbestos.

They are very close to having it demolished, and consti should start soon. My wife works across yhe street from the site, and her bosses corner office has a great view of the proceedings.
Yeah. The design of the new building is interesting too. Should definitely add to the character of the city IMO.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 PM

364 posts, read 619,262 times
Chicago for now, I believe Toronto will soon be more urban.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
One area where Toronto is most urban is probably the most import - in the DT core.. Chicago's urbanity is best expressed in its nabe's in suburbia as opposed to its DT. Having said that, Toronto itself even outside the core has impressive nabe's.. i'd give T.O the nod as most urban..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Chicago for now, I believe Toronto will soon be more urban.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
One area where Toronto is most urban is probably the most import - in the DT core.. Chicago's urbanity is best expressed in its nabe's in suburbia as opposed to its DT. Having said that, Toronto itself even outside the core has impressive nabe's.. i'd give T.O the nod as most urban..
I think you mean neighborhoods. Those are not suburbia, and if you meant suburbia total, then you're completey wrong about that. Near North Side (i.e. River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville) is over 30,000 per sq mile and in 2-3 years, it may be between 35,000 and 40,000 as they keep building high rise apartments/condos in the area and new proposals are coming out all the time now. The suburbs of Chicago are not dense minus a few (Berwyn, Cicero, Oak Park, and Evanston). The density continues elsewhere and yes it does extend to a few suburbs, but the suburbs of Chicago after a handful are not DENSE. I sure hope you meant that it continues into areas like Lakeview, which are nowhere close to suburbia. Los Angeles is the city in the US that best extends its density into real suburbs.

And even though there's a bunch of tall buildings in the DT core of Chicago, there's a ton of room to build up in the NNS. Cabrini Green was demolished last a few years ago, once home to 15,000-20,000 people and has prime real estate written all over it. You could easily fit at least 25,000+ people in that spot alone if it were all high rises and there's a lot more. The DT core of Chicago is still dense especially on the near north side and they are growing it, there's a huge demand (no city's dt core grew by as many people as Chicago's in the US between 2000 and 2010 apparently) and they continue proposing new stuff that makes headway. They are also building stuff in the Loop/West Loop and even converting some old mid rise office buildings into condos/apartments too in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City