Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 12:09 PM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
LA is urban, we are dense on paper - typical Californian

When LA has a world class subway system come back to me, until then I don't Care how dense you are on paper...........Many abroad view la as a suburb
Yea, so Northern America has one world class subway system (maybe two since Montreal has a decent one for its size, but not really world class) and the rest of the US is suburbs. I can buy that argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, so Northern America has one world class subway system (maybe two since Montreal has a decent one for its size, but not really world class) and the rest of the US is suburbs. I can buy that argument.
NYC's subway is only world class in the sense that it covers a lot of miles. Compare it to Seoul, Tokyo, or Moscow's system. It gets man-handled.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
NYC's subway is only world class in the sense that it covers a lot of miles. Compare it to Seoul, Tokyo, or Moscow's system. It gets man-handled.
Well, you're pretty much just wrong on that one.

In terms that it's dirty in a lot of parts and creaky, I agree. However, it does not get manhandled primarily because it has similarly impressive range, coverage, headway, and extensive links to other mode of transits as well two additional things:

1) it has express and local lines running parallel to each other which is a fantastic thing and something I wish were in Tokyo

2) it has 24/7 service; which again in relation to Tokyo, is an incredible moneysaver and conducive to a lot more of the city having longer nightlife

I keep mentioning Tokyo because it's the one of the three mentioned I've had extensive experience with. It's a great system(s), but I wish they'd run it just a bit longer especially on weekends and that they could coerce the different companies to join their systems better.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:55 PM

364 posts, read 619,262 times
Quote:
Lol, someone trying to speak about transit from California? How cute! Those system are cleaner than NY, but have less than or equal coverage.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:

When LA has a world class subway system come back to me, until then I don't Care how dense you are on paper...........Many abroad view la as a suburb
Quote:

When LA has a world class subway system come back to me, until then I don't Care how dense you are on paper...........Many abroad view la as a suburb[/b]
I'm pretty sure it's dense at street level too. These are people we're talking about, after all. Let's compare the Los Angeles suburb to three cities in the big, bad, urban, streetsmart region known as BosWash. So gritty, so tough.

Boston + DC + Philadelphia Urbanized Areas
5,176 sq miles
Population: 14,209,356

Los Angeles + Inland Empire + Mission Viejo Urbanized Areas
2430 sq miles
Population: 14,667,343

Twice the land area, SMALLER population than Los Angeles. Holy stale bagels, Batman!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's dense at street level too. These are people we're talking about, after all. Let's compare the Los Angeles suburb to three cities in the big, bad, urban, streetsmart region known as BosWash. So gritty, so tough.

Boston + DC + Philadelphia Urbanized Areas
5,176 sq miles
Population: 14,209,356

Los Angeles + Inland Empire + Mission Viejo Urbanized Areas
2430 sq miles
Population: 14,667,343

Twice the land area, SMALLER population than Los Angeles. Holy stale bagels, Batman!
Post a picture of all 4 cities subway maps.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
In what way are they better (except for being cleaner)?

Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Post a picture of all 4 cities subway maps.
"I'm going to pretend I didn't just read that and ask an irrelevant question" - Typical Northeast booster technique

Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
In what way are they better (except for being cleaner)?
They are not better. He simply hates New York and the whole east Coast in general

Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
"I'm going to pretend I didn't just read that and ask an irrelevant question" - Typical Northeast booster technique
The typical Californian technique is avoiding talking about transit. LA is a total disaster and even SF is pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City