Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 PM

178 posts, read 284,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
The same poster who claimed that the Magnificent Mile and Gold Coast looked no different from River North... and then, when shown that he doesn't know what he's talking about, promptly disappeared from the thread
Oh, no, I'm right here, and I stand by my claim, 100%. Mag Mile, Gold Coast, and River North all have similar development patterns, and must follow the same municipal parking regulations.

And no, you still have no idea what you're talking about. You were the one who claimed that Chicago was the same as Midtown Manhattan, and no one else agreed.

Let me guess, you still disagree with everyone else, still have no data to back up your assertions, and will continue to bring up irrelevent threads because you've run out of arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
oh i'm sorry - I thought I was in the city vs city portion of CD and not the Chicago section.. my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Stop bringing up Toronto in this little tangent. I am not comparing the two cities. I am merely presenting information for Chicago and only Chicago. I don't care that this is a Toronto versus Chicago deal. I am responding to what I believe is "misinformation" about Chicago.

Is Toronto very seamless? Yes. I never said otherwise or even close to it. I never said ANYTHING about Toronto in fact. I am presenting information for Chicago, and Chicago alone. I don't know how many more times I have to repeat myself before such a simple concept is understood.

I am speaking only about Chicago, and no I really don't think you know enough about Chicago based on what you said. It's quite obvious to anybody who actually lives here or has spent considerable amount of time in the city doing more than just work. I actually live here, and really yeah, Toronto is a great city but what I'm saying has absolutely NOTHING to do with Toronto.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM

Well I agree - Chicago isn't as provincial as a city such as Milwaukee.

Quote:
Oh yes Chicago is so provincial compared to Toronto's Manhattan-like vibrancy and world class, world famous neighborhoods.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
oh i'm sorry - I thought I was in the city vs city portion of CD and not the Chicago section.. my mistake.
I like the sarcasm, but I'm sorry, not every individual post in a thread in the 'city vs. city' forum needs to be comparing multiple cities with one another. I can easily make a post in any thread talking about one city to justify some sort of stance about that city but it doesn't have to be relative to another city. You posted something about Chicago and I thought it was wrong. It's not my problem if you thought that I was trying to compare it with Toronto even after four times of saying my statements had nothing to do with any other city except Chicago.

If there's a thread about homicide rate, do I have to start talking as if I'm comparing one city to another? No, I can easily make a statement about one city and one alone to present data, a hypothesis, etc. You take it much too literally and furthermore imply things that are nowhere to be found within others' statements.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 PM

I can appreciate what you are saying but I don't believe I was wrong in my observation of Chicago relative to my observation about Toronto - everything is relative... that is all I meant...aside from that I don't know what i said that was wrong about Chicago.. lol btw I loved my visit there especially visiting the Art Museum and taking in the grand architecture....

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I like the sarcasm, but I'm sorry, not every individual post in a thread in the 'city vs. city' forum needs to be comparing multiple cities with one another. I can easily make a post in any thread talking about one city to justify some sort of stance about that city but it doesn't have to be relative to another city. You posted something about Chicago and I thought it was wrong. It's not my problem if you thought that I was trying to compare it with Toronto even after four times of saying my statements had nothing to do with any other city except Chicago.

If there's a thread about homicide rate, do I have to start talking as if I'm comparing one city to another? No, I can easily make a statement about one city and one alone to present data, a hypothesis, etc. You take it much too literally and furthermore imply things that are nowhere to be found within others' statements.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I can appreciate what you are saying but I don't believe I was wrong in my observation of Chicago relative to my observation about Toronto - everything is relative... that is all I meant...
Sure, but that's really not what I was talking about in the first place anyway. Toronto is a great, great city, but it had absolutely nothing to do with anything I said.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
Oh, no, I'm right here, and I stand by my claim, 100%. Mag Mile, Gold Coast, and River North all have similar development patterns, and must follow the same municipal parking regulations.

And no, you still have no idea what you're talking about. You were the one who claimed that Chicago was the same as Midtown Manhattan, and no one else agreed.

Let me guess, you still disagree with everyone else, still have no data to back up your assertions, and will continue to bring up irrelevent threads because you've run out of arguments.
I don't need data to tell me what a neighborhood looks like. I was just in Chicago a week and a half ago and explored these areas extensively; anyone who thinks that the Magnificent Mile and River North (especially west of State) have "similar development patterns" knows nothing about Chicago or needs a good pair of glasses.

And I never said that Chicago (or any part of it) was the "same" as Midtown Manhattan. You should really try to read and comprehend what people actually say instead of making up straw men.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times
For now: Chicago, Toronto, LA
In 2023: Toronto, Chicago, LA

Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM

178 posts, read 284,200 times
Quote:
I don't need data to tell me what a neighborhood looks like. I was just in Chicago a week and a half ago and explored these areas extensively; anyone who thinks that the Magnificent Mile and River North (especially west of State) have "similar development patterns" knows nothing about Chicago or needs a good pair of glasses.
In other words, we should ignore facts, and just take your word for it? And anyone who sides with easily verifiable facts instead of a random internet poster is either blind or ignorant?

Could you tell us how a Mag Mile highrise differs from a River North highrise? This should be good...
Quote:
And I never said that Chicago (or any part of it) was the "same" as Midtown Manhattan. You should really try to read and comprehend what people actually say instead of making up straw men.
Actually, you did make this claim, and everyone on the thread disagreed with you.

You claimed that downtown Chicago was as urban as Midtown Manhattan, and claimed that considerations of relative car dependence and relative density were minor or irrelevant.

You even claimed that East of Wabash was more urban than the rest of downtown Chicago, when, at least south of the river, it's likely the least urban section. No evidence was given for this claim, of course. We just have to take your word for it.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
For now: Chicago, Toronto, LA
In 2023: Toronto, Chicago, LA
I think it's close enough such that 2023 is up for grabs. If trends stay as they are, then I can see that being the ranking, but for Los Angeles specifically, the area is still getting significant population growth in its most urban parts, a good lot of development is happening in those areas, the urban parts already have a good lot of population density but lack the infrastructure, and those areas are slated for some heavy infrastructure development (by 2023, the Expo line goes all the way to Santa Monica, the Westside Subway Extension is supposed to reach Westwood, the Crenshaw line is supposed to be developed, the Gold Line is supposed to be extended, the Regional Connector is supposed to add four more underground stations along with the possibility of new routes connecting various lines, and the Metrolink commuter rail system is supposed to have through running tracks allowing for higher frequencies and possibly new, longer combined routes). Plus, the weather's nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City