Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would most African Americans Vacation?What cities would stand out as popular destinations and
NYC 16 12.31%
Atlanta 29 22.31%
Charlottle 2 1.54%
Chicago 3 2.31%
Seattle 8 6.15%
Houston 4 3.08%
D.C 7 5.38%
Philadelphia 3 2.31%
Same as Mainstream 41 31.54%
Savanah 2 1.54%
San Diego 2 1.54%
Miami 13 10.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, let's see the receipts, gentlemen.
Well now you are just arguing silliness. Let's see your proof. See how silly that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I used to live in NYC, Tokyo, Manila, and Mumbai. So I have plenty of experience with other cities...which would be on par with your seemingly expert status of living in Atlanta "for a few years".

It seems that a lot of your opinion on this topic comes down to whether "you" would vacation in Atlanta. Whether or not you would doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. There are literally hundreds of thousands of black folks that do each year. That cannot be denied, no matter how you would classify it.

Things like The King Center or the Sweet Auburn Fest or the West Indian carnival and even Black Gay Pride are huge draws for black folks to visit Atlanta by the tens of thousands. And that's just the tip of the ice berg.
Those would be organized events, sir. Hell, I even visited Atlanta for the Dogwood Fest before. That's not a vacation, though.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,760 times
Las Vegas. I am AA, and blacks aren't interesred in seeing rural America or escaping to the country. Blacks want to go to a big diverse city and party, and in my mind Vegas is it. You see plenty of blacks on the strip, and Vegas has the largest black population percentagewise on the West Coast.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
Quote:
Well, let's see the receipts, gentlemen.
Likewise. You are disclaiming the facts that have already been addressed (See my previous posts), so you show your receipts.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Those would be organized events, sir. Hell, I even visited Atlanta for the Dogwood Fest before. That's not a vacation, though.
How does that prove your point or negate mine? Those events are held to draw people...people who come from all over the country attend. When you leave the city that you reside in to attend a weekend long event, that is called a vacation. Obviously, when people do travel from other locations for those types of things they don't just attend the event. They eat out at restaurants, shop, go to other attractions. Again, a vacation.

If these type of events happened just once a year like they do in other cities, you might have a point. But these specific "black events" run from Spring to Fall on almost a weekly basis in Atlanta. So often that it draws thousands upon thousands of black people all year unlike you will find in other US cities.

It really seems that you are stuck on that because you can't say to go to the beach or gamble it's not a vacation. I guess no one vacations in London or Tokyo since you can't do those things either (or you wouldn't want to at least).

Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well now you are just arguing silliness. Let's see your proof. See how silly that is.
My argument is impossible to prove. You and the other poster seem rather confident to the point where you're talking numbers. I was hoping you'd be able to support it.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
How does that prove your point or negate mine? Those events are held to draw people...people who come from all over the country attend. When you leave the city that you reside in to attend a weekend long event, that is called a vacation. Obviously, when people do travel from other locations for those types of things they don't just attend the event. They eat out at restaurants, shop, go to other attractions. Again, a vacation.
I was there for all of two days, and the only reason I knew of the festival is because I knew people who lived there. It was more of a visit and it hardly nurtured me the way a vacation would.

I maintain that most people do not vacation in that city. They visit, though. I wouldn't expect you to see that with your ATL battle gear on, though.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
My argument is impossible to prove. You and the other poster seem rather confident to the point where you're talking numbers. I was hoping you'd be able to support it.
Is it not true that those events draw hundreds of thousands of attendees? Are you suggesting that all that attend live in Atlanta? If not, are you suggesting that those people come only for the event and do not do any of the other things that one would do on a vacation?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
Quote:
MLK Center is not an "organized event". It is a tourist attraction.

How about this: (Things to Do in Atlanta - Atlanta Attractions and Things to Do) and that is not even counting the Atlanta Zoo, Six Flags, Whitewater, The State Parks, Museums, Shopping and so much more. Does that finally answer your question(s)? And your points have been discredited so many times, but as you said before, your "Assumption", which means you have no hard evidence or proof to back up your own statements.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I was there for all of two days, and the only reason I knew of the festival is because I knew people who lived there. It was more of a visit and it hardly nurtured me the way a vacation would.
Again, your experience does not translate in to everyone's experience.

Quote:
I maintain that most people do not vacation in that city. They visit, though.
Wait, what?

You are really just very narrowly defining what a "vacation" is and unnecessarily muddying what it means. If someone goes to a city they don't live in and attends an event, shops, eats out and stays in a hotel how is that not a vacation?

Quote:
I wouldn't expect you to see that with your ATL battle gear on, though.
Oh lord...you Texans seem to care a lot about that nonsense, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City