Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 9,380 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

So I have been trying to decide an answer to my burning question for the longest time. I want (rather need and crave) to move to either Seattle or Denver based on the most opportunities for parks and recreation jobs. I will be graduating with an A.A.S. in Parks and Rec Management soon and need to get out of the desert. I know that both cities have fantastic outdoor stuff but which one do you think would have the best recreation economy/outlook? Despite the general economy lol.

I've read that both are pricey to live, but I just want a small tiny place to rent nothing fancy. For this reason I've been leaning towards Seattle's surrounding cities vs. Denver or its outskirts. Both are great and that's why I cant decide, but must use job outlook as the sole factor. Also I like the weather in both.

My third consideration was the tri-area of Durham, NC but lately that's been fading so I think its out. I love WA state because in a 40 minute drive in any direction you can hit ocean, mountain, or farmland. Over in Denver, being that its on the backside of the Rockies the other side of that becomes flatter prairie land with tornados and farmland. Well, I don't know much about east of Denver. But in Seattle you can travel around farther in a sense. In general I get the feeling that Seattle has more rec jobs than Denver. Would that be also the cheaper option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,487,442 times
When you say recreation, what do you mean? Do you mean that you want to work for REI, or work for a ski resort?

I'm very familiar with the employment market as a whole (it's my job), and I must say that Seattle is very tech-heavy right now, which has affected the cost of rent in such a way that is to a detriment. Affordable housing is not easy to find around here:

Game Of Homes | KUOW News and Information

You may want to take a second look at Durham or Denver. The cost of rent in Seattle is no joke, and an REI or ski resort job won't necessarily keep you afloat up here.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:20 AM

Hi there, no I won't be going into retail such as a store if I can help it, that's what I'm stepping out of. Parks and Rec can be very broad if I needed it to be, and I am looking for program development and facility operations in both government and private or state and city, even green technology. So for example it could be as simple as a Rec center, or a zoo/museum, or it can be farther out into next county with NPS, F&W etc. Versatility and persistence. I will never give up. As you said there is a tourism industry as well or ecotourism....and many other bright ideas.

I last heard that Denver is also tech heavy. Great, so they are both tech heavy, okay. I guess one way to ask my question is, if one were to travel 360 in all directions, which city feels* as though it has more recreation square footage area + things to do both inside and outside the city? That can mean places/buildings that people enjoy. I really don't know how big Denver is. My heart belongs to Seattle but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking Denver, I want to give Denver a fair chance. I am city matching myself.

Last edited by Aquarian76; 06-13-2014 at 01:04 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 01:05 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,487,442 times
The City of Seattle has a Parks department, but they are the most underfunded department. When I worked for the city, my understanding from the people who worked in that department was that the way to enter that department was by transferring in from another city department.

The positions I see most often opening up at the Woodland Park Zoo are cashier type positions that don't pay very well.

Museums tend to be nonprofits. Read: not very well funded. I see volunteer opportunities there, but not well paid.

Below is the link showing a summary of wages in King County. The "arts, entertainment, and recreation" category has a very poor wage growth. The "agricultural, forestry, fishing, and hunting" sector is the only sector that made even less than that.

https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/employme...ers-and-trends

In a city like Seattle, that money gets you nothing in a hurry. You at least want to be able to live on your wage.

Have you considered seeing if you can get a job with the Department of the Interior or the Parks Service?

Old 06-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Thanks for your update of Seattle's city status, and sorry to hear they are underfunded in a few areas, but hopefully not all venues. I'm still optimistic of possibilities. Yep, I have been looking at federal options as well as other creative strategies or ways to transfer. Seems like a lot of work ahead...in the form of hunting.

I have about 6-8 months to decide if Seattle is my home. I truly love the city and can't stop thinking about it.
I think a scouting trip is in order to re-visit. I have not been back in 10 years after spending a summer there. Anyway, something ideal would be to hit both Seattle and Denver, both for a week or so to test the waters.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,502,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian76 View Post
I have about 6-8 months to decide if Seattle is my home. I truly love the city and can't stop thinking about it.
I think a scouting trip is in order to re-visit. I have not been back in 10 years after spending a summer there. Anyway, something ideal would be to hit both Seattle and Denver, both for a week or so to test the waters.
You are well advised to re-visit Seattle (and Denver) today.
Mt. Rainier and Puget Sound are still in place, but the prices, traffic and congestion are very different from what you remember.
In 2004 Seattle was just coming out of the tech recession - cost of living and traffic were reasonable. Back then Seattle was actually still a nice place to live.
When you visit, pay close attention to your chances of getting a job in your field. Research how much it will cost to rent something, and don't assume you will be happy with sharing a house with 4 roommates forever.
You won't need to research the traffic because its 4th-worst rank in the nation will be obvious.
I live in Portland, and 2 days ago returned from my first visit to Seattle in the last 5 years. Even in that span of time I was impressed by the changes, and not for the better.
By the time I crawled on I-5 past Olympia, I couldn't be happier to get out of there. I don't think I'll be coming back any time soon.
I happen to work in tech, and most likely would find a job in tech-booming Seattle. I could probably even get a 30 to 40% raise, but neither for love nor for money would consider moving from user-friendly and perfectly-sized Portland to LA-light.

Quote:
My heart belongs to Seattle...after spending a summer there
Falling in love with PNW in the summer: the most common mistake on the books.
If you move to Seattle in, say, August, by November both Rainier and Puget sound will no longer be visible
through the rain clouds.
All you'll see will be the stoplights of the cars in front of you going 10 MPH on I-5 on your long commute.

Last but not least: wherever you move, you'll try to establish your social life there.
To see how easily it is done in Seattle, go to Seattle forum and search for the phrase "Seattle freeze".

Last edited by skiffrace; 06-19-2014 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City