Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Toronto, which is better?
Chicago 116 56.04%
Toronto 91 43.96%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawks View Post
I am referring to the latest condo boom. The buildings they are putting up are absolute garbage, are brand new and have many problems, and based on material and construction quality, are going to continue having even greater problems. There is a large housing bubble in Toronto and once that crashes (which it eventually will based on the poor building practices at least), I think we are going to see a retreat.
So a city is not world class based on the types of condos being built? I thought other things like public transit/infrastructure, sports, education, business, power, media, research facilities etc. play a part?

I guess cities are now considered world class solely because of the materials used on some of the new construction projects. Very interesting... I never heard that one before....but okay.

And what are these "many" problems you speak of?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,370,412 times
That 38% figure is from 2001-2006. from 2006-2011 it was down to 32%. And I read somewhere the percentage settling in Toronto continues to decline.

ERIEC | Alberta

And the regions growth is slowing

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/08...s-census-shows

No one can predict the future. Chicago's recent slow growth wont last forever as well. There are already growing signs of increased growth in Chicago, particularly in the core. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if ten years from now Chicago will be growing faster than Toronto. The housing bubble in Canada will burst...it's only a matter of time.

Why Canada isn't immune to a U.S.-style housing crash - Macleans.ca

Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
That 38% figure is from 2001-2006. from 2006-2011 it was down to 32%. And I read somewhere the percentage settling in Toronto continues to decline.

ERIEC | Alberta

toronto growth slowing - Google Search

No one can predict the future. Chicago's recent slow growth wont last forever as well. There are already growing signs of increased growth in Chicago, particularly in the core. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if ten years from now Chicago will be growing faster than Toronto. The housing bubble in Canada will burst...it's only a matter of time.

32% percent of 260-280K is still not too far south of 100K people plus native growth. Additionally, 32% is still by a loooong loooong way more than any other city in Canada... Future projections are tricky and we shall see about the housing bubble collapsing in Canada... they have been saying this now for almost a decade and you can find 'experts' on all sides of that spectrum. What is true over the last decades and into the next few years is that Toronto has and is growing more than Chicago and is densifying more in the core as well.

https://metropolisiq.com/blog/entry/...ctions-to-2041

Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 AM

Toronto leads urban population growth - Toronto - CBC News

Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 AM

"Toronto’s population is growing by about 38,000 a year, well above Chicago’s average of 11,000."
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...160403411.html

Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
"Toronto’s population is growing by about 38,000 a year, well above Chicago’s average of 11,000."
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...160403411.html
Yeah the 100K figure is for the GTA.. Anyway for city proper's Toronto is growing by a factor of more than 3:1 v Chicago.. Any wonder why there is more transformation in one core v the other in terms of residential growth.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

ERIEC | Alberta

Toronto population growth slows, census shows | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto S

That's what they said in 2008.
Canada's housing bubble could soon burst: Merrill Lynch

It's 2014 and this is what they are saying now.
Canada housing market still has legs, crash fears low: poll | Business | Reuters
Canada’s next housing bubble: real estate agents | Financial Post
No housing bubble to burst, Conference Board says in major survey | Toronto Star

Yes, no one can predict the future. But for what can be seen now, things look healthy especially in Toronto.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah the 100K figure is for the GTA.. Anyway for city proper's Toronto is growing by a factor of more than 3:1 v Chicago.. Any wonder why there is more transformation in one core v the other in terms of residential growth.
Yup. Over a third of the 100k are immigrating to the Toronto city limits every year. Toronto just has a healthier economy than Chicago right now. Residential/office construction, public infrastructure projects galore, healthy immigration numbers, various health facility developments, etc are taking place in the city. I'm not exactly sure, but there are a lot of social and financial problems in Chicago right now that may play apart in the slow growth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/us...anted=all&_r=0
Chicago Bond Debt -- Chicago Tribune
Chicago School Closings

Chicago is the slowest growing big city in the entire U.S.
Census Data: Chicago Slowest Growing Big City In U.S.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 AM

Nobody is denying Chicago has its share of troubles...as well as the State of Illinois. Hopefully voters will elect a new non-machine governor and begin to clean up the mess left by the Democrats and their government union buddies. It really is a moment of reckoning for Chicago/Illinois...and if things move in the right direction, I think both the city and state will turn around rather quickly.

And regarding Canada's OBVIOUS housing bubble...do not even think about buying in that market until it bursts...or to put it nicely...deflates. It's difficult to know when bubbles end...but it eventually comes down to simple math....too much leveraged debt...insanely overvalued prices and a coming rise in interest rates....things could get bloody up there.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 PM

And the Chicago area economy is predicted to grow 2.9%this year...slightly faster than the 2.8% growth predicted for Toronto.

And we've already had our housing corrections. Americans have significantly lower debt to income levels than Canada at the moment. Fasten your seat belts neighbors....turbulence ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City