Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 4 Cities that should host the Super Bowl!
Atlanta 18 19.15%
New Orleans 58 61.70%
Houston 33 35.11%
San Diego 49 52.13%
San Francisco 18 19.15%
Miami 65 69.15%
Tampa 15 15.96%
Seattle 8 8.51%
Chicago 17 18.09%
New York City 24 25.53%
Washington DC 10 10.64%
Indianapolis 11 11.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
For histories sake, Miami, LA, and warm cities like those have produced just as many historic and culturally significant superbowls as those cold Northern cities. I'll give you Green Bay, but Boston, NY, Chicago? Those cities have blue-collar fans for sure, but who wants to see the elements dictate the game? Not everyone wants to see a 10-14 victory in the slippery snow. Think how pissed off people were when it snowed and iced in Arlington. And they have a dome!! And besides, most NFL players come from warmer sun-belt states anyway.
I agree with you on Boston, the stadium isn't even in the city, it's 26 miles away in Foxboro, a rather rural/suburban area. However, I've gone to three AFCC games in Foxborough and the weather was not really a factor, of course we were probably lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh I love the sarcasm. But you at first run around talking about nobody in America cares about games at 75 degrees like you speak for all of America. News flash, you don't speak for anybody but yourself.
Time to re-read what I wrote:

I don't care for sunny and 75 degree football, and neither does all of America, and I'm not sure why the NFL assumes we do! I want to see the SB played in Green Bay, Chicago, NY, Boston, etc. and see a REAL down-in-the-trenches type of championship!!

then I said:

Players would be so excited to be in the Super Bowl that they can probably care less where it's played. And if weather is keeping a player from performing to his max during that game, that player isn't focused enough.

Now, by the word "Players", I'm sorry you assumed I was speaking on behalf of everyone in the NFL, but maybe I could have said "some players" or "most players". And when speaking about 75 degree games, I stated that I (me, myself, and I) would not care for it, and I didn't understand why the NFL assumes I or the majority of the people in America prefer that. Then you gave me one example from Joe Flacco to support why the NFL does, but it didn't work for me.

I also think I have a point, despite the fact that that would mean that Texas and other Sun Belt babies would have to share the Super Bowl with other cities.

*Edit: aren't you a Chicagoan?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I agree. Just keep Beyonce.
Beyonce should never be on a football field, and I don't know why the NFL has acts like these for halftime shows. Most middle-aged, surly men don't want to hear that crap anyways, and the market for women is not being fought over halftime shows!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I disagree. I've never been to a Superbowl, but I have been to several big college football bowl games in a variety of cities (NOLA, Phoenix, Atlanta, Tampa). Whenever I go to those I usually go with a group of people. We go a few days beforehand and stay a few days afterward. We check out the city. Pretty much everyone I have ever met at a bowl game does the same thing. They make a several day trip out of it. Everyone prefers a fun city. For different people that means different things during those days...some folks just drink the whole time, but many others like nature, some like history, some like museums. The more different types of attractions a city has to offer the more people will want to go there.

I think the majority of Superbowl visitors would do the same thing. Sure not the media folks, but your average fan who paid a ton of money to see his/her favorite team. The focus will be on the game itself, but they will also want to do stuff before and afterwards.
You definitely do get a diverse group.

The superbowl is definitely a larger event than a bowl game - even the BCS championship.

Other factors to include to the ones listed by the other poster would also be adequete convention space, ability to handle the media and house them, room to setup a good "nfl experience" exhibit, entertain corporate events, large airport for general traffice with good private airports for the corporate set, etc.

The party scene is huge for the superbowl - again the college games don't come close to comparing ..... however, not everyone gets into the parties - a lot of locals who aren't going to the game also take up spots and some just aren't that interested in that scene at all or at least not interested for the complete duration of their stay

Should be a good assortments of bars & restaurants and all that fun stuff ..... however, you need more to fill the day

One thing that was really popular last time the SB was in phoenix was our local golf tournament. I went on the saturday (day before the game) and there were over 170,000 people there that day - the number could easily have been larger but the weather wasn't great (at least for us locals)

That SB was the giants/pats game ..... we lamented that the weather was so bad that week (frequently in the low 60s with some wind and rain) ..... then we get to the expo and hear everyone on the phone "dude, it's 63 out - this is awesome"

Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Beyonce should never be on a football field, and I don't know why the NFL has acts like these for halftime shows. Most middle-aged, surly men don't want to hear that crap anyways, and the market for women is not being fought over halftime shows!
They sure as hell don't mind SEEING it though.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
I've never been excited to hear Beyonce, either. But I've never had a problem with seeing her.

Who can resist a Texan beauty?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Time to re-read what I wrote:

I don't care for sunny and 75 degree football, and neither does all of America, and I'm not sure why the NFL assumes we do! I want to see the SB played in Green Bay, Chicago, NY, Boston, etc. and see a REAL down-in-the-trenches type of championship!!

then I said:

Players would be so excited to be in the Super Bowl that they can probably care less where it's played. And if weather is keeping a player from performing to his max during that game, that player isn't focused enough.

Now, by the word "Players", I'm sorry you assumed I was speaking on behalf of everyone in the NFL, but maybe I could have said "some players" or "most players". And when speaking about 75 degree games, I stated that I (me, myself, and I) would not care for it, and I didn't understand why the NFL assumes I or the majority of the people in America prefer that. Then you gave me one example from Joe Flacco to support why the NFL does, but it didn't work for me.

I also think I have a point, despite the fact that that would mean that Texas and other Sun Belt babies would have to share the Super Bowl with other cities.

*Edit: aren't you a Chicagoan?
No, I am not a Chicagoan and even if I was, that should not matter. Where I took issue was this line here
Quote:
neither does all of America
And you know this how? Many people would rather sit in ideal conditions with no elements to stop them from enjoying the game that includes rain,snow, ice, heat, and cold. Texas and other sun belt babies? As opposed to Northerners and other Rust Belt babies thinking they're being shunned on anything sun belt cities may have when it comes to having a slight advantage going for them for events? If you don't care yourself, that's fine. When you say neither does all of America, that's not. Because many Americans do care. And you think only the NFL is making the decision about them as to why SB's are in warm locations mostly? The Media also would rather have the Super Bowl in warm weather cities because they will be outside most of the time and they set their stages outside for the entire week leading up to the game.

The Super Bowl is an event and it lasts for a week. It hasn't been only about the game for a good 25 years now.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
La
atl
miami
new orleans

Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
San Diego
Miami
New Olleans
Houston/ATL

Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, I am not a Chicagoan and even if I was, that should not matter. Where I took issue was this line here

And you know this how? Many people would rather sit in ideal conditions with no elements to stop them from enjoying the game that includes rain,snow, ice, heat, and cold. Texas and other sun belt babies? As opposed to Northerners and other Rust Belt babies thinking they're being shunned on anything sun belt cities may have when it comes to having a slight advantage going for them for events? If you don't care yourself, that's fine. When you say neither does all of America, that's not. Because many Americans do care. And you think only the NFL is making the decision about them as to why SB's are in warm locations mostly? The Media also would rather have the Super Bowl in warm weather cities because they will be outside most of the time and they set their stages outside for the entire week leading up to the game.

The Super Bowl is an event and it lasts for a week. It hasn't been only about the game for a good 25 years now.
He is saying that not all of America cares about it being warm. Meaning that there are many people in America who would like to see it in cold weather cities, not all, but many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City