Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. New Orleans
New Orleans 48 39.67%
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times

Advertisements

I'm talking metro area. New Orleans didn't grow 2.5M people in the last 2 decades did it? It's skyline didn't literally double/triple over the past 2 decades did it?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm talking metro area. New Orleans didn't grow 2.5M people in the last 2 decades did it? It's skyline didn't literally double/triple over the past 2 decades did it?
Can you just let us have that one thing? Metro Atlanta is probably growing faster but people want to specifically live in the city of New Orleans so those numbers reflect better than metro numbers in this case.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Can you just let us have that one thing? Metro Atlanta is probably growing faster but people want to specifically live in the city of New Orleans so those numbers reflect better than metro numbers in this case.
People want to live in the city of NOLA .... and yet you don't ... go figure ... It's all so laughable. This thread is such a joke ...

OK ... now go ahead and make some snide comment about Savannah. Isn't that how this is supposed to work?

Blah blah blah yada yada yada zzzzzzz

Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
People want to live in the city of NOLA .... and yet you don't ... go figure ... It's all so laughable. This thread is such a joke ...

OK ... now go ahead and make some snide comment about Savannah. Isn't that how this is supposed to work?

Blah blah blah yada yada yada zzzzzzz
What is the point of this post?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:56 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I agree on that. NOLA economy is biggest downside, and it's a big one. Savannah is the same way but on a smaller level, I swear the only thing keeping that place afloat is SCAD and tourism. Everybody I know that has moved to New Orleans proper works in the hospitality industry.
Thats such a ridiculous statement.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I guess if you want to set the bar for "thriving" very low to fit your agenda that would work. The thread is about New Orleans vs Atlanta. Atlanta has way more job opportunities than New Orleans, as comparison, I said Savannah is even less than that. I guess Thomasville, GA must also be thriving b/c they have Flowers Bread Company, of course, it's bigger than any company in Savannah.
A headquarters is more for bragging rights.Its nice but for a city the size of Savannah its not a huge deal if it does not have one.It has an industry of its ports .tourism and military.Those very big industries or employment centers.What else is in Thomasville?Thees no colleges in Thomasville but a bred company?Come on now.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
"Like it" and "Indifferent" aren't really that much of a difference. Never said Atlanta was boring, and that's not what that term means in this sense. Most people don't have strong opinions about Atlanta unless they are elitist type. It does matter why people go to a city. When people come to the south they mostly just go to Miami, Disney, or New Orleans. Some may make the trek to Savannah or Charleston but those aren't the international draws. Yes, people actually do say that, I've met numerous eastern Europeans, Australians, British, and seen large groups of Asian tourists on the streets. I don't need pictures, I know Atlanta hosts huge events. American standards are terribly low. You have rail and bus, leave it alone. Transit in Atlanta isn't New York or even DC.

No foodie is putting Atlanta over New Orleans.
You are fooling yourself if you think people are going to buy a ticket JUST to go to New Orleans from other countries.
They do not.These people are like some of the international students that I rent rooms to who will be in Atlanta for internships for a few months.During that time they will take Megabus,rent a car or train and go to Miami,Orlando and then maybe Nola or some variation that involves multiple cities.
An Italian is not going to New Orleans from Rome before he goes to Las vegas,NYC,D.C.,Boston,San Diego,etc first!
In fact ,French are really the only group that will mainly even know about New Orleans.You ask the average Italian ,German etc and they know very little about Nola.

You keep talking about we are not NYC or D.C.You are so ridiculous.Fact is Heavy rail will get you over most of the city further and faster than any mass transit will get you in New Orleans.

You just ignored remarks about if you rode transit in Nola.Im sure you dont.Ask us Atlanta posters that same question about MARTA here in Atlanta.I just rode Marta yesterday and I too have a car.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Quote:
Lol I've been on Royal St at 8am and there were tourists out having coffee and walking around taking pictures.

A second Michael Kors will be opening in suburban New Orleans, called Metairie. J. Crew will open a second store in Canal Place. Brooks Brothers doubled the size of it's women's department all while announcing plans to add a girls section and expand the boys section. New Orleans native Melanie Perret opened a French Sole boutique, HQ'd in New York. Louis Vuitton removed itself from Saks Fifth and expanded. Tiffany is still there.
New Orleans has the best shopping along the Gulf coast besides Houston and people come from Jackson and Mobile to shop. Most natives don't care for the high end stuff, that is changing.

People are rushing to live in New Orleans. Projects are announced weekly, all within the core.

Nope, no opportunity at all.
Actually some people do. But no New Orleans is the fastest growing city in the country. And most of them happen to be between 18-34. Who woulda thought? Forbes: New Orleans is America's fastest-growing city | wwltv.com New Orleans

Like the ones made about New Orleans?
How many people are rushing to live in New Orleans LOL . Did I miss the boom

That's basic shopping. Even our surburban malls here Atlanta have Michael kors..Michael kors lost all. Exclusiveness when he sold his brand . That's why u see so many of them popping up. Its become the new Coach.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Lol I've been on Royal St at 8am and there were tourists out having coffee and walking around taking pictures.

A second Michael Kors will be opening in suburban New Orleans, called Metairie. J. Crew will open a second store in Canal Place. Brooks Brothers doubled the size of it's women's department all while announcing plans to add a girls section and expand the boys section. New Orleans native Melanie Perret opened a French Sole boutique, HQ'd in New York. Louis Vuitton removed itself from Saks Fifth and expanded. Tiffany is still there.
New Orleans has the best shopping along the Gulf coast besides Houston and people come from Jackson and Mobile to shop. Most natives don't care for the high end stuff, that is changing.

People are rushing to live in New Orleans. Projects are announced weekly, all within the core.

Nope, no opportunity at all.
Actually some people do. But no New Orleans is the fastest growing city in the country. And most of them happen to be between 18-34. Who woulda thought? Forbes: New Orleans is America's fastest-growing city | wwltv.com New Orleans

Like the ones made about New Orleans?
Have you ever poured water on an ant bed?The ants always come back and rebuild the mound.How many cities have you seen a calamity has happened and people don't come back?Its really not that all remarkable.

You think Brooks Brothers ,Louis Vutton,Tiffany or Michael Kors are really that special?Those stores in New Orleans are the cheapest of those companies offerings and they are ssmall stores that almost every major city the size of New Orleans has.

French Sole you mentioned is CLOSED.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I agree. Atlanta is terrible when it comes to dining. The difference between here and L.A. is staggering. One of the reason I miss living in LA so much.
Are you kidding? Atlanta has a great restaurant scene! You'd have be obtuse or a total recluse to deny that. You really should get out more. Start with Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward and West Midtown...restaurants in those three neighborhoods alone will keep you busy for the next two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City