Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. New Orleans
New Orleans 48 39.67%
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is quite untrue. One Atlantan said New Orleans has never hosted any "big time" events because it's never hosted an Olympics--which would mean that NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Houston, Dallas, Miami, etc. have never hosted "big time" events either. Another said "What is there in NOLA outside of it's core CBD that's about 3 square miles? Nothing" and in a follow-up post said, "There's more to Atlanta than just an Aquarium, World of Coke and the CNN center. There are historic urban neighborhoods outside of downtown, despite what people on CD love to believe otherwise." And you yourself made the outlandish statement that New Orleans wasn't much more vibrant than Savannah.

Sorry, but calling it like I see it. Some wild stuff has been said out of both camps here.

The poster said New Orleans is "Big time" because it hosted the super bowl and Essences. There is more to a city being big time besides hosting freaking sporting events and festivals.. You have to come a little harder to be considered big time because if hosting a Superbowl makes u big time then Indianapolis is big time too.

I then said I don't consider super bowl a big time event I consider it more of a national event. Olympics is more of a big time event because the whole world is tuned in and its has a bigger affect on a city. That's my opinion. You can name a bunch of stuff that makes NYC SF etc more big time cities even if they never host a super bowl..

That's what I meant by that. No I wasn't trying to shyt on New Orleans and not give it any credit. I have no hate for the city to even put it down. I'm just voicing my opinion and I never passed this opinion I have as fact.

Everything mostly has been based on opinion with some facts thrown in there. Hawaii4ever challenged me on Gay culture and he or she has never even been to Atlanta.. Where they do that at.. Oh I forgot on City Data

Last edited by Staysean23; 09-05-2013 at 06:30 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
My hands havent been clean? How? From the original post and throughout the discussion, i stated what I felt to be the pros and cons of both cities. I even was the first to say that the discussion had gotten out of hand because it had become far too general.
If the shoe fits wear it .. Obviously it doesn't fit you so why even holla. You aren't the only New Orleans poster in here. You are probably the most reasonable one..

Last edited by Staysean23; 09-05-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
Sunday Sept 8, its goin down in the N.O. Saints, Failcons
FALCONS 41 AINTS 7

Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
FALCONS 41 AINTS 7
lol..We might have to start another thread about how bad those Saints goiing to Heaven after those Falcons tear them up with their talons.
Right now its an opinion,but after Sept.*th will make it a FACT.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 AM

79 posts, read 89,932 times
That is so true Afronega

when I hear someone randomly talk down Atlanta's culture, charm, alternative lifestyles, etc 9/10 they stayed somewhere in Kennesaw with family or some business trip to Alpharetta or whatever.

The often never actually visit any of the intown urban neighborhoods or districts ITP.

I know it is partly because if you don't live in ATL it either takes someone who is from the area or some research to know about this areas and that is partially the fault of ATL for not promoting our urban districts and neighborhoods better.

I had some goth chick on a facebook group say "I could not find anything alternative in ATL". They had never heard of the Shelter, which is Atlanta's exclusively goth venue/bar.

Another girl said that all she encountered was hood folks and said she had family here. Turns out she has family in Kennesaw where she stays when she is here and from what I gather has never been to lil five points or any of our hippy and alternative urban neighborhoods.

It's crazy.

People come here and don't know where to find their niche because they are stuck in the burbs or the hood and leave thinking the city is lacking because either they didn't research or knew someone who could show them.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I then said I don't consider super bowl a big time event I consider it more of a national event. Olympics is more of a big time event because the whole world is tuned in and its has a bigger affect on a city. That's my opinion. You can name a bunch of stuff that makes NYC SF etc more big time cities even if they never host a super bowl.
Like what?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM

79 posts, read 89,932 times
Maybe I am just the kind of person who takes time to look this stuff up before going to a new city. I know where all the funky urban spots are and even a show at a venue if it's going on when I am there.

Most people aren't like that I guess. They expect whatever culture they are looking for to fall in their lap upon visit and that whether that is right is debatable, but Atlanta could stand to promote it's urban areas more.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overseer View Post
Maybe I am just the kind of person who takes time to look this stuff up before going to a new city. I know where all the funky urban spots are and even a show at a venue if it's going on when I am there.

Most people aren't like that I guess. They expect whatever culture they are looking for to fall in their lap upon visit and that whether that is right is debatable, but Atlanta could stand to promote it's urban areas more.
Im like you.I have never been really disappointed anywhere Iv'e gone because I knew before hadn what to expect by talking to people from an area,trip advisor,or whatever resource I can find other than some travel guide.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Like what?
Size,depth,transportation,Multicultural,muti-ethnic,liveability,list goes on and gone.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Those are opinions.Personally outside of the CBD,the uniqueness fades fast.I pointed that out to Annie as she incorrectly made a statement about neighborhoods in Atlanta don't resemble those in Nola.Thats not true.
Tell me if you did not know any better would you think any of this was in New Orleans.Its Atlanta in the Westend.

Notice the street polew with the address number on them.Those are original from the 1890's.The Brickwork also is original.

How many times have you heard Atlanta does not have charm or history due to it being burned down?Its not true.
People go on about sprawl in Atlanta and its bland.Many people have NEVER step foot in some of these inner city neighborhoods.
The blandness in Cherokee County does not extend to the city.
You can bring up the fact that Chicago Sprawls but no one would ever say Chicago is "bland".Why?Because people do not focus on suburbs like they do with Atlanta.

Most of the people on here that are talking about Atlanta have a extremely limited knowledge of the city.Some like Hawaii4ever has made statements about Atlanta and he has NEVER been!

Those who have come(including the OP)stay in a suburban hotel go Dowtown to see the attractions and go back and say things like MasonBauknight and somehow are experts on what the city offers as far as culture and food.
Its fine if someone thinks Nola has better food than Atlanta.Its fine if they dont.But those are opinions.To say that Atlanta punches below it weight in food options is ludicrous and there is SO much written about food in Atlanta to prove it.Is it SF or Chicago?No but it competes more than well.

Yes I have criticized New Orleans but its from what I see when I go there.Ive been many times.I have friends from there so I get infor from people who live there as well as my own perspective.
It may not be completely accurate alll the time but none of it is baseless.There are some logical rational behind my remarks.
That looks nothing like New Orleans. It looks like a old neighborhood in the south. Every city has it's old inner-city neighborhoods.

None of my remarks and opinions about Atlanta have been baseless either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City