Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,770 times

Advertisements

Hello out there,

I found this forum when trying to find info about these cities. This seems to be an incredible resource! Basically my question is this...

I live overseas right now and the company I work for is basically giving me a choice to live in one of the above cities (and a few others that I have already eliminated.) I am from Vermont and have never really spent much time in the American south. I am single so I don't need to worry about schools or anything. Basically I'm wondering which city would be good for a little bit of nightlife/music, great food, nice architecture and maybe a good bookstore or two. Any information from people familiar with these areas would be greatly appreciated!

As I said, I am from the northeast but am very ready to experience a new culture if I need to....

Thanks for any and all help,

Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Alexandria, VA?

Never been to Alexandria/DC but New Orleans blows them all out of the water, with the obvious exception that Alexandria is part of the DC metro.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
If you want to experience a "new culture" and good nightlife and beautiful architecture then it will be hard not to recommend New Orleans. Alexandria would be my first choice before New Orleans because I'm a big city person but being from Vermont the DC area might be too overwhelming for you with the traffic and people and everything that comes with the big city atmosphere. Alexandria is very dense and expensive so I hope your company pays well. And DC obviously has everything you need such as nightlife, obviously good architecture, great shopping, and bookstores(sure I guess a Barnes&Noble is a Barnes&Noble is a Barnes&Noble). Never been to Richmond or Charleston but both are smaller cities (but more affordable).

Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Alexandria. Got to go with my hometown.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Well Alexandria itself is part of the DC metro area. It's so much larger than the other cities so that gives it an advantage in many of those categories.

As far as the cities themselves go, New Orleans definitely comes out on top. Charleston would rank next being that it meets all of the critera, but is smaller. Richmond is an older Southern city with nice historic architecture and I'm sure there are good bookstores there, but I don't think it matches the rest in terms of food and nightlife.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,770 times
Thank you all so much for your help! I think I am leaning toward New Orleans but I am a bit concerned about crime... Which makes me think Charleston or Richmond instead. Your replies are appreciated.

Emily

Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 AM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
Went to Richmond recently and loved it. Carytown and Shockoe areas have a lot of different restaurants and bars. All depends on what you want out of a city. I'd pick Alexandria because it's pretty awesome it's self, without even being close to DC, which is one of my favorite places. Charleston is what it is. Cool small city with a lot of history, restaurants, and architecture. Richmond was a nice surprise and close to DC. Unfortunately, I've never been to New Orleans. On my bucket list to see within the next couple of years.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMurphy View Post
Thank you all so much for your help! I think I am leaning toward New Orleans but I am a bit concerned about crime... Which makes me think Charleston or Richmond instead. Your replies are appreciated.

Emily
Crime in NOLA is really centered around drugs and certain neighborhoods. Much of the city is very safe and wouldn't cause a problem for you.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
There are positives to all of these cities. I love Uptown and the Garden District in New Orleans, the Fan District in Richmond, Historic Alexandria and Historic Charleston. One word of warning, though; your $$$$$ won't go nearly as far in DC as in the other three cities.
If you're a Beach fan, Charleston would put you closest to the sea.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Alexandria/DC area will be the least cultural shock for you probably since it the area is really just an extension of the Northeast. The real dirty south doesn't start until you get south of Stafford/Fredericksburg, VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City