Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:12 PM

249 posts, read 443,546 times

Advertisements

-ducks under a chair as a broken piece of taco shell whizzes by, only to then narrowly dodge a flying piece of pizza dough that comes out of nowhere-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LA and Chicago both have very good museums. Ever hear of the Getty? Art Institute of Chicago? Field Museum in Chicago? They may not be the Smithsonian or Met, but they are very highly rated museums.

LA, Chicago, DC, San Fran, etc ALL have a WIDE variety of cuisines available almost everywhere. Cheap, expensive, etc everywhere. The pure fact you mentioned deep dish pizza in Chicago shows you know absolutely jack **** about the city's food. In reality, there are hardly any deep dish pizza places in Chicago outside of a handful of downtown tourist places or a few in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. There's a reason why deep dish pizza is known as tourist pizza. In reality, the cuisine is extremely varied and most of the food is actually not burgers, hot dogs, or deep dish. While there's enough of it, there's more that's NOT any of that type of food.

There is a reason why Chicago has a Michelin guide and why LA once had one too. If you really think that it's unique to NYC that there's food and restaurants everywhere then you haven't traveled enough.

Search for food in a few areas (best viewed with Chrome I believe, otherwise most points don't show up):
* Downtown core (Loop, Near North Side): food near chicago, il - Google Maps
* Lincoln Park/Lakeview: food near chicago, il - Google Maps
* West Town (i.e. Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village): food near chicago, il - Google Maps
* Uptown/Part of Edgewater: food near chicago, il - Google Maps

I work for one of the most well known software companies in the world and I also am involved in hiring people. I also have a degree in Computer Science. I know what I'm talking about, but thanks.

You said it's all in California. I mentioned no not ALL of the action is there. it's also in areas like NYC, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, etc as well (along with CA). Your link just proves what I said. This is also based off of job listings for that at the time. This changes all the time:

1. DC
2. NYC
3. San Jose
4. San Fran
5. Boston
6. Seattle
6. Chicago
8. Atlanta
9. Los Angeles,
10. Dallas
I take the computer science job numbers as a grain of salt. Just cause DC has the most computer science jobs doesnt make it a tech center. The bay area, Seattle, and Boston are the real tech centers in that order. Dc just has an abundance of corparations that require people with coputer science degrees but it is a goverment city.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Aside from just light rail, Minneapolis still has a very extensive streetcar system that is planned, and streetcars are essentially rail, just a little more low key so that they can fit easily in urban neighborhoods, instead of just transit corridors. Minneapolis also has a very extensive and successful bus system. Now, Seattle already has a streetcar system also, but the one that Minneapolis is planning is larger, and covers more neighborhoods and area than Seattle's. So, nonetheless, Seattle and Minneapolis have similar transit systems, and if anyone really decides to give an edge to either of them, it just depends on how you choose to look at it. They are really very similar.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomByte View Post
4. Minneapolis- Not so urban and transportation not great. Cheaper and only an hour from where I live so financial it would be easier on me. My family and my favorite sports teams on form the Twin Cities. I kinda want to get away from home so thats a problem...
I went through the same thing and lived in Minneapolis but didn't have the money or nerve to relocate but wanted to try something new. I went to the bus station downtown and told them I lost my glasses and they let me search through the box they kept behind the counter. I picked out the thickest lenses I could find and while they were small for my head and I think they are ladies' glasses, they are pretty fashionable. My whole outlook has changed and I notice things that I've never seen before like a crack in the building foundation on the other side of the block or weird skin blotches on people I pass on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City