Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California (cities and nature) vs NYC, Bos and PHI (with surrounding nature)
California 36 61.02%
NYC/Bos/Phi 23 38.98%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:51 PM

18 posts, read 35,852 times

Advertisements

After the thread "California vs New York state" this would be more equal?
Californian cities and surroundings vs NYC, Boston and Philadelphia and their surroundings.

For Quality of life, COL, things to do, raising a family, singles, schools, nature etc etc.
Let's get it on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:32 PM

364 posts, read 620,599 times
California is not on the level of NYC

Boston and Philly doesn't need to be included in this massacre

Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,440,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
California is not on the level of NYC

Boston and Philly doesn't need to be included in this massacre
If that's true, then why does California BUTCHER New York State (which includes NYC) in thread after thread after thread?

It has to Voltron to make it "fair". Boo hoo.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,996,379 times
In a match up. I'd take San Francisco over Boston (which in itself is a great city). Toss up on New York and Los Angeles, I do prefer New York though. I'll take Sacramento over Philadelphia quite handedly.

Match up runs out of cities to compare California's San Diego, in which case, California wins it. I like 2/3 of the Northeastern choices, the third, I don't think so. Whereas I have a positive impression of all the large California cities.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM

93,912 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
In a match up. I'd take San Francisco over Boston (which in itself is a great city). Toss up on New York and Los Angeles, I do prefer New York though. I'll take Sacramento over Philadelphia quite handedly.

Match up runs out of cities to compare California's San Diego, in which case, California wins it. I like 2/3 of the Northeastern choices, the third, I don't think so. Whereas I have a positive impression of all the large California cities.
Why Sacramento handily over Philadelphia? Just curious and Sacramento and perhaps Providence would be a more sensible comparison.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,148,415 times
Taking three urban areas vs the state of California!?
You have NYC Philly and Boston
Against LA San Francisco San Diego

Plus you get Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Monterey, carmel/Pebble Beach, Palm Springs, Napa Valley, Silicon Valley, Lake Tahoe, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Sierra Nevada mountains and skiing, Redwood coast, giant sequoias, Big Sur coast, San Joaquin valley produce, Santa Catalina island and so on and so forth

This isn't hard.......California and it's a no brainer.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,484,985 times
It depends on your desires really. The California cities will provide better outdoor opportunities due to their year round great weather and proximity to incredible mountains, etc. There are beautiful mountains in New England, but the West definitely wins the category...it's pretty amazing that you can wake up in shorts and then leave for the mountains in order to go skiing.

This isn't to sell the Northeast cities short, because they too have some beautiful shorelines and other natural surroundings...but the geographic offerings of California paired with the year round weather gives it an edge IMO (however fall in New England is by far my favorite weather in the world).

In terms of the cities themselves, the three from the NE completely outdo those from CA. Obviously there isn't anything close to NYC. You could combine the built environment of SF and LA and it still wouldn't hold a candle to what New York brings to the table...but on top of that, I believe Boston and Philly are equal to SF and either one of those are on a different level than any other Californian city from a built environment perspective.

Overall it depends what your preference is. I'm an East Coast guy and so I prefer the old urban cities, so I'm definitely gonna lean towards NYC, Bos and Philly... But I can understand why some may prefer the Californian cities.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,996,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why Sacramento handily over Philadelphia? Just curious and Sacramento and perhaps Providence would be a more sensible comparison.
I think Sacramento is an average city and I am the world's furthest person from being a fan of Philadelphia (for several reasons), reasons I prefer to keep to myself though.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-07-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 03:36 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,535,169 times
California is huge and vast with many cities. California could be its own country. You can't compare it to any other state, let alone cities.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,913,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post

Sacramento over Philadelphia are you serious??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City