Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicagoland vs. San Francisco Bay Area vs. Greater NYC (Money no object)
Chicagoland (~9 million) 36 26.87%
San Francisco Bay Area (~8 million) 65 48.51%
Greater NYC (~22 million) 49 36.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I wouldn't want to miss Spring in SF, though. It's just too nice, especially once baseball season gets going. In April and May, there's not a much better place to be than AT&T Park...except maybe sipping Pinot Noir on the Sonoma Coast.

I love the Holidays in NYC. Other than that time of year, I'll take SF and the Bay Area.

SF is actually quite warm in April and October--often over 80 for days at a time. Otherwise, in Spring and Fall, 70s are quite common. Clouds are rare, too, and the air is clean, making the sun intense. It also never rains from March to November and is clear and sunny. I wear shorts and a t-shirt most of Spring, all Summer and most of Fall. When the air gets more damp in Winter, the 60s don't feel as warm. Plus, the wind picks up, so it does get chilly...but never really cold.

You seem to share in a common misconception about SF weather, based on visits made by people in Summer coming from very hot climates. Our Summer is not hot, but in about half the City, it is like Spring most other places. The other half is close to how you describe for short periods, but amazingly even and predictable most of the time. In general, SF is mid-50s at night and high 60s and sunny during the day for about 7-8 months per year. It's high-40s at night and low 60s, with a mix of sun and rain for about 3 months per year. And for a couple of weeks in both April and October, it's high-60s at night and low-80s during the day.
That's true-I came both times in or near the Summer and was visiting from hot weather. Often the low temps on the East Coast over the Summer will be higher than the high temps in SF, while of course the high temps in Philly are often lower than the low temps in SF in the Winter-pick your poison.

Today SF has a high of 66 and Philly is 41 haha we will still be outside all day though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 01:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Today SF has a high of 66 and Philly is 41 haha we will still be outside all day though.
haha, pretty sure that's just the default high they put up for SF (for any day, any month)

While that isn't an exact summation of the capable high's throughout SF, it's still sadly close enough to be seen as true though. Blessing and curse I suppose. More of a blessing for me as I grew up on the western side so I'm used to the 'bad' side of SF weather, and now I live by the ballpark and I'm too hot a lot of the time..

Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
If you're going to SF you can generally count on 60s or 70s year round, but you're right the microclimates make a big difference

Old 11-30-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One thing that isn't very often noticed is the amount of natural beauty near (and sometimes within) NYC. The Bay Area generally wins on this front, but the passage of seasons in NYC gives a much more dramatic variation. The Hudson River valley is beautiful and large parts of Long Island are as well (though I wish Long Island had left larger expanses reserved from development).
The Hudson River valley is very pretty. And parts of Chicago are very pretty. It's just hard to beat SF on natural beauty, being a large part of what makes it special.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 PM

39 posts, read 58,536 times
I would have to say Chicagoland is underrated.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 AM

451 posts, read 465,190 times
Chicago and San Francisco are my 2 favorite big cities in the USA.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
Chicago and San Francisco are my 2 favorite big cities in the USA.

Many people feel this way

Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuntin2 View Post
I would have to say Chicagoland is underrated.
Ridiculously underrated...especially the Indiana part of Chicagoland.

Here's a home in that area..

.http://www.trulia.com/property/10806...-46301#photo-1

Old 12-11-2014, 01:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Ridiculously underrated...especially the Indiana part of Chicagoland.

Here's a home in that area..

.527 East Lake Front Drive, Beverly Shores IN For Sale - Trulia
I don't really dig the style of the house itself, but that location and surroundings are beautiful. That would likely be a $3-$4 million place in a comparable area near San Francisco.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:43 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Does Lake Michigan along Chicago freeze up during the winter? What about the Chicago River?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City