Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 07:08 AM

335 posts, read 974,895 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide between two job offers. One is in Rochester, NY and the other is Chillichote, OH, but I anticipate somewhere between Chillichote and Columbus (ideally closer to Columbus).

Which is a better area in terms of raising a family, when the following criterial is considered: safety, quality of public schools, diversity, overall weather, and cost of living (seeking to purchase a single family house up to 500k)?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
If your budget for a home is 500k, then you can live wherever you want to in the Rochester area. If you want diversity, good schools and an affluent area, look into Brighton. It is more of an old money type of suburb, but it would fit the criteria. Parts of West Irondequoit may work too. Pittsford is in the area and is the most affluent school district/town in Upstate NY. Its Eastern suburbs are viewed as the more affluent set of suburbs, which consist of the Penfield, Fairport, Webster and Pittsford SD, along with the more working-middle class East Rochester SD. Pittsford is ranked as the best Upstate NY SD in terms of test scores/academics, with Brighton coming in 3rd. Business First - 2012 Upstate school district rankings

Business First - 2012 Rochester Area school district rankings

Rush-Henrietta may be a sleeper in regards to diversity, good schools, being largely safe, lower taxes and plenty of shopping.

Keep taxes in mind, but also you can quite a bit of house for less than 500k.

Rochester's suburbs are largely safe and the city's Southeastern Quarter is largely fine and has plenty of nightlife.

There's SeaBreeze Amusement Park, the Strong Museum of Play, Roseland Water Park in nearby Canandaigua, a couple of beaches right by the city and other offerings within a reasonable drive(Niagara Falls, Darien Lake, Jell-O Museum, Fisher-Price in East Aurora, etc).

You can get quite a bit of snow during the winter, but it is usually taken care of in a timely manner due to being prepared for it. You do get 4 seasons though.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Columbus has a better economy. Seems more hip, is a younger overall population, more young professional, more corporate, a larger metro. And still family friendly and may have lower cost of living in some areas. In terms of diversity it is on of the fastest growing Asian populations in the midwest, fastest hispanic in Ohio, and is one of the most LGBT friendly cities in the US. Also its often ranked as a good city for African Americans in terms of inclusion, economy, and diversity.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus has a better economy. Seems more hip, is a younger overall population, more young professional, more corporate, a larger metro. And still family friendly and may have lower cost of living in some areas. In terms of diversity it is on of the fastest growing Asian populations in the midwest, fastest hispanic in Ohio, and is one of the most LGBT friendly cities in the US. Also its often ranked as a good city for African Americans in terms of inclusion, economy, and diversity.
While that is certainly true, there might be a bit of an issue in that he'll have to commute to Chillichote every weekday rather than being able to both live and work in/close to Columbus.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
While that is certainly true, there might be a bit of an issue in that he'll have to commute to Chillichote every weekday rather than being able to both live and work in/close to Columbus.
That and Rochester may actually surprise people in terms of the things mentioned. Rochester has a higher Black percentage as a city and it goes into the suburbs in terms of presence. Its Southeastern Quarter has these neighborhoods: Park Avenue | Rochester NY | Restaurant | Boutique | Salon | Coffe Shop | Deli | Pub

Welcome to Swillburg!

South Wedge Rochester NY*|*South Wedge

Highland Park Neighborhood Association | "The Finest and Healthiest Part of The City"

Among others......

Here is a good guide about the area: Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

Rochester actually has a slightly higher educational attainment as well: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tro-areas.html

Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That and Rochester may actually surprise people in terms of the things mentioned. Rochester has a higher Black percentage as a city and it goes into the suburbs in terms of presence. Its Southeastern Quarter has these neighborhoods: Park Avenue | Rochester NY | Restaurant | Boutique | Salon | Coffe Shop | Deli | Pub

Welcome to Swillburg!

South Wedge Rochester NY*|*South Wedge

Highland Park Neighborhood Association | "The Finest and Healthiest Part of The City"

Among others......

Here is a good guide about the area: Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

Rochester actually has a slightly higher educational attainment as well: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tro-areas.html
Yea, Rochester is a pretty cool city. I wonder how much more vibrant it'd be if Rochester Institute of Technology had stayed put within the city.

Since you're familiar with the city, can you give a photo tour of sorts of these better parts of Rochester?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM

I don't have my own photos, but these images can give an idea of what some of the areas look like: https://www.google.com/search?q=monr...iw=320&bih=416

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp.7iWE8MFaDfQ

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp.VnGPN1EvAto

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp.KaDcqDpXbv4

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp.ez92pMfIiAc

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp.xUcdl6Dfa54

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp.4TkxjoJTa_g

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp._V2U6wA0f8A

https://www.google.com/search?client...rp.zxLJaYZ1wtU

I agree that if RIT was in the city of Rochester instead of Henrietta, that it would add vibrancy to the city. Around the University of Rochester on both side of the Genesee River have seen some interest due to the proximity to the campus.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM

Here are some homes in the Rochester area that fit your criteria for under 200k: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 PM

11 posts, read 27,518 times
I know this is a bit old, but I came across it while searching for information. Maybe another perspective will help someone else in the future.

I've lived in Rochester all my life, and grew up in Irondequoit. Rochester is a great city, but not all parts of the metro are the same.

For instance, the Irondequoit school district / area has changed in a bad way over the years - the high school is way, way too massive. It needs to be split up. Kids get ignored if they aren't in the top 10%. If your kid has any disability whatsoever, make sure you pick a place that will have a smaller high school... or at least staff that isn't overworked and actually cares. Bullying is an extremely big problem in that school district. I still have nightmares from that place, thank god we moved before high school. I met some previous classmates years later.... and you could tell that it wasn't a good environment.

Webster on the other hand is a 20 min commute to Rochester. I can't say enough good things about Webster. Some of my best friends went to high school in that area, and they were well prepared for college. They managed to get tuition costs completely taken care of while going to a state school. (It also helped that they were intelligent and were into science.) You cannot underestimate the effects of a good forward-thinking guidance counselor. I believe they went to Wayne HS. It's a big school, but somehow the volume was handled much more gracefully.

Someone mentioned Brighton earlier, just wanted to say that it is a great place too. It's home to Monroe Community College - one of the best community colleges in the nation, hands down. (Disclaimer: I went to MCC, so I'm quite fond of it, but it was rated in the top 50 all the same) The college draws in people from all over the world, it is affordable, and the surrounding area is generally a very safe. I did a 2+2 (2 years in community college, 2 years in a state university) - and I want to shout from the mountaintops that everyone should do that. It's more affordable, and made it so that I was able to transition to college in a much smoother fashion.

Rochester is very open to diversity, but this is speaking strictly of the city not the surrounding metro. Once you travel east of the Irondequoit bay there is less diversity (sadly this includes Webster), which sometimes leads to mild racism / or just insensitivity. So the city is quite culturally diverse, but the same cannot always be said of the surrounding suburban towns.

Rochester is mostly "asleep" during the winter. Aside from a few mini brewery tours and sledding/tubing, people are mostly indoors. However, from May to August, there's something going on almost every weekend. Festivals, art shows, you name it. The transit system is pretty great too - route 390, 590, 490 and 104 take you pretty much wherever you need to go with reasonable accessibility. This is in stark contrast with other cities in the upstate ny region (I'm looking at you, Buffalo. :P )

Someone asked for a photo tour, so here are some places I can think of in Rochester:

imgur: the simple image sharer
South Wedge, Tango Cafe on the left, Tap and Mallet on the right
That's my favorite place to dance, and there's a great bar right across the street.

Alexander St, close to the heart of Rochester.
This is what a typical Rochester winter looks like (to me). There may be a bit more salt/snow on the road... However the highway department is right on top of it's game, and the roads are taken care of very efficiently. The sky is normally some type of grey - but very fickle. One minute it's snowing, the next it's clear. The architecture of the buildings across the street is pretty representative too, lots of early-1900's houses.

Brighton suburb, between the University of Rochester and MCC.
This is a stereotypical Rochester suburb (again, in my opinion). This place is right near Mount Hope Ave & Westfall Rd (two main roads with a bunch of businesses) and conveniently right near route 390.

Public Market, in the northeast quadrant of Rochester
Rochester also has one of the best farmers markets in the country, it was voted America's favorite public market in 2010. I'll go there to buy things, but it's fun for windowshopping too - you never know what you'll find there. They're open on certain weekdays almost year round, save for some holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City