Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times

Advertisements

LA has some beautiful parts, but the cityscape itself leaves a lot to be desired. Chicago is tough to beat - it might just be the prettiest cityscape in the country. The city is absolutely gorgeous, from great/diverse architecture spanning many eras to really well kempt urban parks, the lakefront setting. Chicago absolutely crushes LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 03:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I feel it's more than just a few "pocket neighborhoods" and more widespread, there's a good chunk of the city that was developed before 1950. Yeah I agree about the Gateway Cities, SGV, etc..which is why I tried to limit it to LA city limits. Even south of the 10 I think a lot of the homes have character and nice architectural details even though the neighborhoods are not very nice overall; the Crenshaw area has a lot of nice looking homes. And one advantage the Spanish/Mediterranean look has in the ghetto is security bars on windows can actually go with the architectural style, aka "rejas" lol.
So called "South Central" neighborhoods like West Adams and Jefferson Park (especially Jefferson Park) have some of the finest collections of intact Craftsman bungalows in the country. And now with the Expo line cutting through those neighborhoods, a lot of buyers are moving and fixing them up. When we were shopping around a couple years back I had my eye on a beautiful craftsman near 27th and Western. The previous owner had done an amazing job updating it and it was a lot of house for the money (relatively speaking...this is still LA.) We wound up passing on it because the neighborhood still felt a little sketch (I would have been fine dealing with it but wifey just didn't feel comfortable) and we wound up getting a loft in DTLA instead. The loft is still a great investment (probably better, actually), but I kind of regret not going for the craftsman. We could have had 1,500 square feet and a yard with a fire pit and a fruit tree for what we paid to purchase a shoebox loft downtown. Apples and oranges comparison, I suppose.

EDIT: Found the listing. Man, I do kind of regret not buying that. That's easily an $800,000+ home in a neighborhood that's already gentrified.

And here's a streetview from around the corner on 28th street. These kind of craftsman are typical for Jefferson Park. If you look down the street you can see other ones- some fixed up already, and some waiting to be "un-stucco-fied" and repainted.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 10-09-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I feel it's more than just a few "pocket neighborhoods" and more widespread, there's a good chunk of the city that was developed before 1950. Yeah I agree about the Gateway Cities, SGV, etc..which is why I tried to limit it to LA city limits. Even south of the 10 I think a lot of the homes have character and nice architectural details even though the neighborhoods are not very nice overall; the Crenshaw area has a lot of nice looking homes. And one advantage the Spanish/Mediterranean look has in the ghetto is security bars on windows can actually go with the architectural style, aka "rejas" lol.
He's not from LA.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:48 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
He's not from LA.
Me? Yeah I can show you my birth certificate from Cedars Sinai and my grade school records from schools in LA and show you my past employers all in LA. Idk why you're so bitter.

If we stuck with city limits, then yeah LA has some nice architecture. More like downtown, Hollywood, Koreatown, Mid Wilshire, West Adams, Hancock Park, etc. SFV, West LA, Westchester, etc. are still city limits though and definitely bring the beauty down. LA does have some nice architecture, it just can't compete with Chicago.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:10 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Easily LA. No comparisson. Chicago is a nothing more than a follower and a wannabe New York. LA is a trendsetter and stands on its own. It's a sign of a more secure city. ;-)
Chicago all the way for the win. Old all american charm that fake LA can't replicate even if they wanted to.

Chicago doesn't and never wanted to be NYC

Old 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's a river as well--which while not really beautiful in and of itself, is a natural feature that does make Chicago that much prettier.
Los Angeles does have a river near downtown, too:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0479...7i13312!8i6656

Though calling it a natural feature is a stretch. I should do a Los Angeles River vs Newton Creek poll

Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Los Angeles does have a river near downtown, too:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0479...7i13312!8i6656

Though calling it a natural feature is a stretch. I should do a Los Angeles River vs Newton Creek poll
More of an arroyo than a river; its kind of misnamed.

But it certainly is a natural feature, and has been there for hundreds of thousands of years. The Army Corps of Engineers channelized it with concrete after the flood of 1938 to ensure that kind of disaster would never happen again. Basically, the concrete allows the water to flow faster, getting it down to Long Beach and into the ocean at a faster rate than the river can fill up and overflow.

Los Angeles Flood of 1938: The Destruction Begins | LA River | Departures Columns | KCET

Now, the Army Corps has a plan to get rid of the concrete and restore the natural riverbed, and there is federal funding to make it happen. Although I'm unclear on what they're going to do to prevent the river from flooding once the concrete is removed. Maybe reservoirs or something?

Army Corps board approves $1.3-billion L.A. River restoration proposal - LA Times

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 10-10-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 08:36 PM

192 posts, read 293,113 times
No contest there. It has to LA.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
More of an arroyo than a river; its kind of misnamed.

But it certainly is a natural feature, and has been there for hundreds of thousands of years. The Army Corps of Engineers channelized it with concrete after the flood of 1938 to ensure that kind of disaster would never happen again. Basically, the concrete allows the water to flow faster, getting it down to Long Beach and into the ocean at a faster rate than the river can fill up and overflow.

Los Angeles Flood of 1938: The Destruction Begins | LA River | Departures Columns | KCET

Now, the Army Corps has a plan to get rid of the concrete and restore the natural riverbed, and there is federal funding to make it happen. Although I'm unclear on what they're going to do to prevent the river from flooding once the concrete is removed. Maybe reservoirs or something?

Army Corps board approves $1.3-billion L.A. River restoration proposal - LA Times
Also, I believe it had drastically changed course sometime in the last 200 years. Old accounts stated that it used change directions constantly and would mostly flow west from downtown and enter the ocean near Marina Del Rey or Where the Ballona Wetlands are now. Obviously since encasing the river in concrete it will no longer change direction, however it's pretty interesting.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:47 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
I like how Chicagoist123 asks for people to share their opinion on which is "more beautiful" and then berates them for disagreeing with his opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City